Tire Fitment Question - Please don’t Shoot Me! LOL (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! I have spent hours reading threads about this issue and I have yet to see an answer to the very specific question I have about tire size. I have a 2003 100 Series with stock suspension and stock 18 inch wheels. All I have added to the wheel/tire arrangement is a set of Spidertrax 1.25 inch wheel spacers to get a slightly wider stance. I have been running 10 ply Yokohama Geolander ATs in 275/65/R18 for years with no rubbing issues of any kind. It’s time for new tires and I am going to go with 10 ply Yokohama MTs because I like the more aggressive tread pattern, and I want to go to a bigger tire size as well. I know from the posts I’ve read so far that I can go with 285/65/R18s and have no issues, but my local tire shop also carries these same tires in 295/70/R18 and I was wondering if anyone can tell me which way to jump. Do my wheel spacers and the offset they give make the 295s a possibility, or should I just go with the 285s and play it safe? I am not an “off roader” like some of you guys, but I am a hard-core trophy deer hunter and drive constantly on old logging roads and through creek beds etc. In other words, this is not a mall cruiser. I am very sorry if this is a redundant question, and I hope I’m not wasting anyone’s time, but I just can’t find this exact answer and was hoping someone could help. Thank you in advance, and have a great day!

Get the 295s IF you want them. They may rub a tad in reverse turns but they may not. Either way not a big deal if you want the bigger tires should be fine on logging roads and full off road too.

Remember those bigger tires reduce your effective gearing.

275/70R18 would be a better choice than 285/65 for your use. Ideally 265/75R18 if you want big as poss w/o rubbing, but can't find it on their list.

Generally, you get more rubbing problems with spacers than without.

33's (285's) is the biggest I'll go on stock gearing in a 4speed. It's already a pig and that just makes it worse to run taller tire. Plus it fits stock no problems

33's (285's) is the biggest I'll go on stock gearing in a 4speed. It's already a pig and that just makes it worse to run taller tire. Plus it fits stock no problems

Agreed, but the 2003+ are the five speed transmissions.

First off, I'd ditch the spacers. They're doing nothing for you except posing and wearing out your wheel bearings faster.
If all your driving is logging roads, you don't need to go crazy. You could probably just stay stock size with a more aggressive tread. No gearing issues. No handling compromises. No additional stresses on the systems. No negative effect on braking. But it won't look as cool so your friends might laugh at you.
Up to you which is more important.

I would stick with the 275/70 size personally. They'll give you the added ground clearance (2"+ over stock), while still being able to fit them under the truck. I usually stick to forest roads and what not too, and the added clearance is nice when you need it. You can probably get away with the stock size, but why bother? You want bigger, it will help you off road, and it does look better.

I think 33” tires are perfect for people who really use the trucks off and on road, but don’t necessarily do super hard-core wheeling. I have 285/75R16, No rubbing, no gearing changes necessary (6% over stock is just close enough not to need a re-gear), looks nice, and gives me the extra height and sidewall I want Offroad. In most cases plenty capable. I easily made it through a tough section, where I saw many from a jeep club with big balloon tires struggling.

I would stick with the 275/70 size personally. They'll give you the added ground clearance (2"+ over stock), while still being able to fit them under the truck. I usually stick to forest roads and what not too, and the added clearance is nice when you need it. You can probably get away with the stock size, but why bother? You want bigger, it will help you off road, and it does look better.

Yes. Also, I would not underestimate the improve in ride with the E-rated tires. The guy at the tire shop thought I was nuts, telling me the ride would be too stiff, but it's great. The extra sidewall over stock street tires is a huge improvement on the road and really, really noticeable (in a great way) on washboard dirt roads. My '07 100 always felt a little twitchy after my lifted 80 with 285s. Even with OME 865 springs in the back and IronMan Foam Cell Pro shocks on the 100, the ride with 255/70-18 Michelin MS2 tires was a little jittery on rough roads. With the new KO2 tires in 275/70-18, it feels like a Cruiser. Super smooth around town and on the highway, very balanced and precise steering, and amazing on crappy roads.

Mileage is probably a little worse, and acceleration and braking were a little worse for the first few days, but I got used to it in a week. I feel like my foot is in it a little more to reclaim the get-up-and-go, so that probably accounts for the change in mileage as much as the weight of the tires.

Another vote for the 275s (yup, I'm partial) but if you go with the 295s definitely post your experiences. In a world of compromises, I feel like the 275s have the most tolerable compromise. I like to look of bigger tires, but in real world use you do lose something...

I vote 275/70. I run that on my 18's and it's a perfectly functional fitment - no rubbing ever. The 295s put more rubber on the road, but adda bunch of weight and inertia. Not sure how much, but it can't be helping anything on the road. The 275/70 already feel sluggish compared to the stock size tires.

I would stick with the 275/70 size personally. They'll give you the added ground clearance (2"+ over stock)

I vote the 275/70 as well as I run them also. Yes effective gearing is down but it isn't too noticeable at this size for me anyway. The 100's just look better with a bit bigger tire filling the wheel well.

Also, the ground clearance you gain is only 1" with the 275/70 tire size but every inch counts right?!!?

rjones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom