Tire Chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
Just wonderin' where you got your big tire chains that fit on your big tires. I'm runnin' GY MT/Rs in size 35x12.5r15 on some 15x10 rims. I am wanting to find some big tire chains for 'em for the upcoming winter season (if Utah gets any snow this year... ::) ). Anyway, I've never really looked around, but figured you guys would know all the good places to find 'em. Also, I am assuming there are some that are better than others... (there always is...)? Anything to watch for? Are they usually for a certain size? Any chance ones that fit my 35s would fit some 37x12.5s?

Anything else?

-Ferg-

I second www.tirechains.com i got a set for my 37" MTRs from them and they work and fit great. Brad.

My great friend ran a truck trailer parts house here for quite a few years. He warned me against buying tire chains that weren't made in the US. The price difference between US made and imported is big but the quality difference is even bigger.

Also, if you can scrounge good quality chains for smaller tires it's not too tough to combine them for extra length.

[quote author=CruisinGA link=board=14;threadid=6586;start=msg53549#msg53549 date=1066792079]
Tire chains? Snow? Whats that? :D
[/quote]

Not just for snow young one...

You would not believe the amount of traction that you get in soft ground and mudd with a good set of chains....

Anyone ever operated a log skidder??

Oct. 27, 2003 (UTC -7)

If one is in NorCal, or *maybe* even in SoCal, I can sell to you two pairs of the Diamond-style, easy-to-use snow chains, including the optional rubber adjusters. I'll absorb the CA tax and freight charges I had when initially purchasing these. It's unused, it's for 33" tyres, and sells for $100 per pair. I use two pairs on my UZJ-100 when I'm up in the Lake Tahoe area.
diamond5.jpg

And I have up to five pairs of the Heavy Truck chains (also from tirechain.com) for $85/pair. As above, it's unused (I misread the ordering instructions, so I got too much than what I needed ---looong stupid story), includes the optional rubber adjuster, and I'll absorb the other charges I incurred back then. It's for a 35" tyres.

Drexx,
I'm interested in the chains. Will they fit my BFG 285/75 R16's??? Also, are you attending the event in Pismo next weekend? If so we can complete the "deal" there. Please email me at davida@dynashoe.com.

drexx, I've driven up to Tahoe twice when the chain checkpoints shut down completely about 1/2 hour after I went thru on I-80. Neither time did they make me put chains on the beast. I had them of course, but never used them. These trucks are just awesome on snow as well. 20-30 mph all the way to Tahoe but never was out of control or feel uncomfortable with the traction or handling of the LC.

Brent,
I've only been stopped once in Mammoth during a major snow storm and had to beg the CHP to let me go on. With that said there are times I would like to have them. The Cruiser does work well in the snow however going down hill on an icy road is not one of its strengths - 6k lbs can be a bit tricky to stop. Also, nice to have chains to help others that get stuck in their vehicles. Anyhow - Let It Snow!!! If anyone ever heads over to Mammoth let me know....we are there often.

29Oct2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=silvercruiser link=board=14;threadid=6586;start=msg56158#msg56158 date=1067371716]
Drexx,
I'm interested in the chains. Will they fit my BFG 285/75 R16's??? Also, are you attending the event in Pismo next weekend? If so we can complete the "deal" there. Please email me at davida@dynashoe.com.
[/quote]

This is great! :D The diamond-style tyre chains have been bought for my BFG A/T 285/75R16 tyres, and it comes in a nylon bag per pair. I've had mine for two years now, and thankfully I haven't had a problem with it. I clean mine and then spray it with WD-40 before putting it back to storage. In Lake Tahoe, my family love exploring the back trails around the area, and getting semi-lost, and sometimes I judge that we do need the tyre chains. Anyway, the stuff I'll be selling to you have never been used and comes with the options I previously mentioned.

When looking for me in Pismo, do look for a silver/grey turbo-dieseled 80-series in there, with a tall Asian guy driving with two kids. :)

Drexx,
sounds great. Send me an email and we can figure out where to meet. How old are your kids? I'm bringing my 3 year old with me...he loves to go offroading. Also, are you camping or staying in a hotel? Looking forward to meeting you

email - davida@dynashoe.com

30Oct2003 (UTC -7)

[quote author=silvercruiser link=board=14;threadid=6586;start=msg56890#msg56890 date=1067497381]
Drexx,
sounds great. Send me an email and we can figure out where to meet. How old are your kids? I'm bringing my 3 year old with me...he loves to go offroading. Also, are you camping or staying in a hotel? Looking forward to meeting you

email - davida@dynashoe.com
[/quote]

Since I'll be having other business there in that weekend, I'll be staying at a Motel 6 in San Luis Obispo. However, we'd be glad to hook up with you in Satruday morning. My 3-yr old son and 6-yr old daughter will be coming. Call me at my cellphone 1-408-921-1520 in case we can't find each other.

I'm excited to be there :D

quick question about snow and tire chains...
What is the chain requirements along interstate 80? Would a landcruiser with A/T tires and locker be OK without chains? Would I still need chains at the checkpoints? Can you put chains only on the back tires with a 4x4 and locking diffs? Thanks... Just getting ready for snowboarding season =)

GreddyO,

Been there done that on I-80 a couple of times where they closed the freeway about 1/2 hour after I went thru the chain checkpoint. Had no problems at all, but speeds were only 20-30 mph the entire way into Truckee.

They did NOT force me to put chains on, however, they did ask if I had chains with me, which, of course I did. Also asked if I was 4-wheel drive to be sure. Don't know if they'd have let me thru if I hadn't at least had chains with me. Cheap investment IMHO. Don't Fawk around as Junk would say :flipoff2:. Get the chains and give yourself some piece of mind. Of course, I had my family with me, so there was no amount of saftey to great!

BTW, I have Michelin LTX's.

OK, here's a tire chain question...I saw that my local Costco was selling chains that were in a "diamond-like" pattern, and SOR sells ones that look more "ladder-like". Any opinions on what's better? Or maybe what's better for certain terrain?

CardinalFJ60

Yooper,

I had a set of v-bar chains on a Mazda 626 back in the early 80's. No problems if fit properly! 2 wheel drive and never got stuck in Mamoth, and I had to use them.

diamond pattern has more directional controll, ladder bar doesn't, but usually cheaper and better for mud etc. at least that's what we're told in AUS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom