Tire Chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I carry a set of the cable diamond pattern "cable-chains". They're not as effective as true chains, but will get me through the check points and I'm already on winter specific tires in terms of safety. I've used them offroading a couple times and they're surprisingly effective on bottomless (over 6 feet) snow vs a plain tire. Must have some faint "paddle" effect.

The really nice thing about them is they take about 5 minutes a wheel to put on as the inboard side is a large hoop of steel. So, you put the hoop on the inboard face of the tire, and then all the cross cabling is held roughly in place for you to attach the outboard face ends. Attach the rubber adjusters (never buy ANY chain without having these or bungee cords to use) and drive 100 feet, then get out and fine tune. You're off.

On the road, they're obviously not as rough as chains in terms of vibration if you're going some distance. I consider them to be adequate as if I need to chain up while traveling on the road in a highly capable 4WD with lockers and winter tires, I'm only going as far as the next motel. After all, if things are THAT bad my biggest worry would be some nimrod running into me and the only way to control that is to be off the road.

DougM

I am new to living in a snow area and was wondering if I need chains for all four wheels, just the fronts or just the rears?? I have a FZJ80.

Tim

[quote author=waldrtw link=board=14;threadid=6586;start=msg67270#msg67270 date=1069694787]
I am new to living in a snow area and was wondering if I need chains for all four wheels, just the fronts or just the rears?? I have a FZJ80.
[/quote]

Full time 4WD = all four should have chains.

Drexx,

Interested in the heavy tire chains you got for the 35s I have 35x12.5 15s. Let me know if you have this size. I hear it can get nasty during the winter up near Tahoe and I don't want to miss those quiet powder days:)!

More important than chains are real snow tires (not the all weather or so-called mud and snows that aren't designated as snow tires).

I learned an interesting chaining procedure from my dad many years ago. He prefered to chain the front first as it gave him better steering control, if he needed more traction he would chain the rear as well. The only time he would chain just the rear was if he was descending. I remember many a Utah deer hunt in the 60's with the old Power Wagon chained on the front only. I am not afraid to chain one axle on an 80 as long as the center diff is locked.

i run cooper discovery M/S tyres on my 45 and cant believe how much better they are compared to bfg ats

26Nov2003 (UTC -8)

[quote author=drohweder link=board=14;threadid=6586;start=msg67366#msg67366 date=1069707822]
Drexx,

Interested in the heavy tire chains you got for the 35s I have 35x12.5 15s. Let me know if you have this size. I hear it can get nasty during the winter up near Tahoe and I don't want to miss those quiet powder days:)!
[/quote]

I'll be in the Sacramento area this Saturday, if that's fine with you. There's a small, but open, group of 80-series wheelers going up in Eagle Lakes (near Cisco grove, in I-80W) for a little snow run. It's a family run, so no hardcore stuff and children are expected to enjoy. Wanna come and meet us there? Meeting time is 10am. It's the same place where we've been into before:
http://www.pbase.com/drexx/eaglelakes_22feb2003

BTW, the chains I have are for 315/75R16 (35"'s tyres with 16" rims). I don't know if it'll fit perfectly, but with the chain tensioner, you're welcome to try.

??? I am a 55 owner, still welcome with you 80 owners? I am post call on Saturday so unlikely I could make it as I would not get out of here until 10 am if its a quiet night. Perhaps another time. thanks for the invite! :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom