Tips & Tricks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Use cold water to wash stuck on pasta off pots and strainers. Something to do with starch blah blah blah.

Crumble crisp bacon by wrapping it in a paper towel then kneading it. All the pieces will stay contained and easy to dump out.

Pack extra empty zip close bags for leftovers.
Also handy if you make sandwiches in the morning at camp to save hassle on the trail.

if your one pound propane bottle is frosted up on the bottom and you notice the sputtering and low flame, take some water and pour over the outside of the bottle to knock down the chill, your flame will go back up. Works good after the fourth coffee and you have left over hot water to spare.

pack a lemon with your avocados. lessens the browning.
Avocados too hard? pack in a bag with a apple or banana. speeds up the ripening process a lot.

we like to freeze ice cube trays full of tomato sauce/ paste/pestos. One or two cubes is usually perfect for a bowl of spag.

I soak corn on the cob in water, just put on the grill with husks and all. as the husks burn off, just give them a roll to an unburnt side and they steam themselves perfect. Top with a shot of lime, some Cotija cheese and a sprinkle of Tanjin or Cayenne and consume.

been making tortillas fresh at the camp, gives the kids something to do and a bag of masa from a mexican supermarket is cheaper than 10 tortillas in a bag. WAY better tasting and if you didn't grab a press, the bottom of a fry pan works great. I roll a ball about the size of a titleist and place inside the food bags where you grabbed the peppers from, smash and it peels right off. No mess.
The food grade bags in the fresh produce aisle are way better to use.

HF tools has a slick set of magnetic towel holders. I move mine from bumper to bumper, fridge side to hood even. depending...

if that one teenager is still crying about cutting the onions, have her slice off the top and bottom of them so they don't roll around anymore. after she's checked her email a third time, have her go back and finish her task. they will have sweated by then and no more tears. (from the work , anyways)

I line my trasharoo with Contractor grade bags and always leave one in the bottom, and several in the flap. on my way to camp I store the grill in there and maybe some wood.

Those flexible plastic tubs at Walmart for the side by side kitchen sink are great for leaving a bunch of dishes in to soak. good for laundry too down by the creek.

Magnetic coozies....yes.
Dollar store knives and cutting trays.
HF moving blankets. they are 5 bucks and good for anything. seriously..just throw away when done...with the one dollar cutting board even.
you don't know if there was a tranny, tranny rebuild, or what on that picnic table last.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom