Tips on replacing weather stripping on KZJ78 fender flares? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Everyone,
I was searching the forum for "weather stripping", "fender flares", etc., and couldn't find any threads/tips on how to replace the weather stripping around the fender flares on my KZJ78.
I've got all the new OEM weather stripping but any help with installation would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Sam

Sam, @FJ73Texas has done this recently, I'm in the middle of it. If you look in the last few pages of the "what did you do on your 70 series today" thread, there's some info. But it sounds like you have all the parts. You'll need to undo all the bolts and rivets that hold your fenders on. Good time to clean up any rust and then reverse the procedure with the new rubber. Be advised, you'll likely break some bolts.. you might want to start with some solvent on the bolts and give it time to loosen the rust.

20221207_144400.jpg

It is a perfect time to clean up under the flares the best you can.

Like @FJ40 that green thing , I had rivets in some places and M6X1.0 bolts in others. Fortunately for me none of the bolts broke while removing them but I did have to carefully drill out the rivets and and then tap the hole in the bracket to use M6X1.0 bolts. This way I only have to remove bolts and not rivets if I want to remove the flares for easy cleaning down the road. The part number for the bolts is 90119-06278

When putting the new flares back on with the new rubber attached. You want to be patient when tightening it all down. For me the new rubber seal didn't always want to sit flush with the body in some areas being new rubber and all. Just use a long, thin piece of flexible plastic (like a cut piece of laminate or something) that won't scratch the paint and go up between the flare seal and body to correct any areas where the flare seal might not sit flush as you tighten it all down.

Also on the front flares, I used a little bit of butyl sealant (same stuff used between the moisture barrier between the doors and door cards) to force the very end of the rubber seal to stay in place (the part of the flare closest to the grill). The small adhesive strip on the seal alone wasn't strong enough to keep it in place for the type of bend it was.

When putting the bolts back in the brackets, just double check to make sure none of the bolts will make contact with the body when tightened down. (It didn't for me, but throwing that out there as well)

When you remove the old rubber from the flares, use some fine grit sandpaper on the edges where the adhesive strip makes contact. Get it all cleaned up without any old rubber left. Use some tar/wax/grease remover after sanding and let it dry before putting the new seals on.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone,
I was searching the forum for "weather stripping", "fender flares", etc., and couldn't find any threads/tips on how to replace the weather stripping around the fender flares on my KZJ78.
I've got all the new OEM weather stripping but any help with installation would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Sam
Hi @PradoOnHudson,

I am looking into replacing the weather stripping on my KZJ78 and was hoping the PN for the OEM weather stripping? I have searched but came up with nothing definite. Appreciate any information. Thanks!

-Ziggy

I couldn't find where I ordered it, but this generic stuff looks similar to what I used once and it's much cheaper than the OEM stuff.

I think one of the OEM part numbers is 6178360020. It was about $11 per section a couple years ago and my recollection is each fender flare can take 2 sections (or maybe it was 1 for each front fender flare and 2 for each rear as the rears have a section break).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom