Timing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I checked the timing and it was at 2deg. I set it at about 5 or 6. I dont have an advancing timing light.
The manual call for you to install a tach along with the timing light. I didn't hook up the tach. Does this mater???
With the timing at 2, and it should be at 3, what will happen with it being at 2?
I drove it and no knock. When would there be a knock? From stop, going up hill etc?

Not sure what you mean by an "advancing timing light", but did you properly short out the connectors before checking the timing? Also, RPM is critical in getting the proper reading, so be sure you're at 650 (think that's what is called for).

IdahoDoug

You don't need an "advance timing light" (if by that you mean one with the dial so you can shift the advance on the light up or down). You can just eyeball the flywheel mark against the graduated thingy--not exact, but good enough.

I don't think you'd notice a difference of one degree timing. But as IdahoDoug said, be sure you've shorted out the appropriate pins on the diagnostic port and have the engine warmed up and running at the right speed (yes, I believe it is 650rpm).

One other thing to do is check the timing again after you've tightened up the distributor nut--it has a tendency to shift the timing a little.

The motor was warm and I got a good connection as I check it with and without the wire and with out the wire the timing was/would jump around.
Does the tach need to be hook up or can I just use the tach on the dash? I was thinking that pluging the tach might send a signal to computer and change something.
What can one do if the idle is not at 650?? There is no way to change it that I know of.

The idle is self-regulating but there are some outside factors that can prevent it from functioning properly. The most common is an accelerator cable that is binding in the housing and preventing the throttle plate from fully closing. Other causes could be vacuum leaks or a malfunctioning IAC on the throttle body.

I have seen NO increase in power or MPG. Maybe I didn't advance enough. I will go back to stock for now.

I don't think I ever got a answer to my question.
Do I have to hook up a tach to check the timing or can I skip that part of the FSM where it says "hook up tack, hook up timing light"?

I did the timing without a tach and worked fine, guess the tach is not needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom