Timing. Degree or vacuum? Or both (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think everyone blames the carb first. I think a vacuum leak is more likely. I mean there are a million ways to get a vacuum leak. And it's not likely that the idle mixture screw all the sudden decides to move itself.

The idle mixture screw is located on the side of the carburetor next to the valve cover. Access to the screw is inhibited by the air cleaner. I find it much easier to remove the air cleaner and even then it is tough to get the screwdriver tip into the screw head.

What has changed on this engine to cause this condition? Have you done some work? We're talking about a USA 2f from a 60 ? right?
Correct. I had some knocking going on. Found that my timing was way off. Then did a carbon cleaner through the intake vacuum. That got som carbon out but fouled a plug. Got new plugs. Timed it. But the vacuum always seems low. Now just the pursuit to make it run as good as possible which might be a lost cause.

@OSS Before the discussion strays too far off timing, any recommendations on a good timing light? I used a basic cheapy to get 7 with the BB, but I'd like to try 9 with an advance light. Just so many bad quality lights out there....thx.

any recommendations on a good timing light?

There’s lots out there. The one linked below seemed to work fine for me. Strobe light is pretty bright.
I used to have a Snap-On timing light (that stopped working) but I liked the Innova timing light better. You can see RPMs too.

There’s lots out there. The one linked below seemed to work fine for me. Strobe light is pretty bright.
I used to have a Snap-On timing light (that stopped working) but I liked the Innova timing light better. You can see RPMs too.

That the one I bout too. The rpm’s was nice to set all the different screws. Ac, high idle, and just idle.

You could use:
  • Carb cleaner spray (super toxic nasty stuff - geezus)
  • Starting fluid spray (mostly ether - don’t breathe that s*** either)
  • Propane (least hazardous of the choices).
If there’s a vacuum leak somewhere and you direct your flammable fluid/gas into the leaking spot, the engine RPMs will increase because you’re giving it more highly flammable stuff to burn.

Try it on a vacuum hose you’ve pulled off to see how it affects the engine speed at idle for a test.

Did you ever resolve your issue? I have the exact same problem with my 60.

What do you spray again? Carb cleaner? The RPM will change when the vacuum leak is there.
Ever smoke cigars?

With the engine off, blow a mouthful of smoke into a vacuum line (the larger the better, and plug the port you pulled it off of) and see where it comes out. It'll get you pretty damn close. Chasing vacuum leaks gives me an excuse to fire up one of my Centenarios 😂

Edit: just realized how old your comment is. But hey, just in case you're still chasing....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom