Timing cover oil drain (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2f oil circulation question:

Oil gets onto the timing gears with the oil squirter. How does the oil get out of this area?

The reason I ask: I just replaced the cork gasket and rubber seal. After running the engine for a few minutes, the seal blew out of the front cover. And oil gushed out onto the driveway.

I was wondering if maybe the oil isn't able to leave and a build up of pressure caused the seal to blow out.

I used RTV on both sides of the gasket. Maybe I plugged a drain hole by accident and a build up of pressure blew out the seal?

Thanks again for your input

Not sure about the drain hole pressure thing , But it's important to center the harmonic balancer before tightening up the timing cover bolts.
Some info here. 2F front crank oil seal squealing?
Good luck.
There is a return port in the block for the oil. If I remember correctly it’s towards the bottom of the cover. It’s possible that it got blocked by rtv or perhaps you used the wrong gasket for a different year cruiser.

Not sure if its the same on a 2F as a 2H, but my timing cover gasket blew because the crankcase wasn't ventilated properly and got pressurized due to a kinked breather hose. How is a 2F's crankcase pressure released?

Not sure if its the same on a 2F as a 2H, but my timing cover gasket blew because the crankcase wasn't ventilated properly and got pressurized due to a kinked breather hose. How is a 2F's crankcase pressure released?
There’s a pcv on the sidewall of the block. Behind the dizzy.

There's a drain hole just under the crank gear, open into the crankcase. I guess it's possible it got covered or plugged if you were too generous with the RTV. When you say, 'seal blew out' you mean the cork gasket or timing cover seal around the crank snout ?

1596910693204.png

Timing cover seal around the crank
I overtorqued mine when I did the job and it immediately began leaking again. I wouldn’t call it a blowout but it’s an annoying leak. Did you follow specs? I think those lower bolts are only suppose to be 14 ft pounds or something like that. I probably did twice that. Is that gasket squeezing out from the sides? If so then it’s too tight and you may have split it.

Not sure about the drain hole pressure thing , But it's important to center the harmonic balancer before tightening up the timing cover bolts.
Some info here. 2F front crank oil seal squealing?
Good luck.

This. The FSM is fairly specific about how this timing cover and crank seal goes together. With the bolts holding the timing cover on just finger tight, the act of putting the HB pulley assembly on allows the cover to be centered into the proper position on the engine block, while also centering and sealing the crank seal on the crank. After the HB is on and timing cover centered, you then begin the process of tightening down the bolts around the timing cover. Bolts torque for the smaller bolts is in inch pounds so its not much at all. Two larger lower bolts is 12-17 ft pnds as @cps432 mentions.

1596948128946.png

The only sealant the FSM calls for for the timing cover is thread sealant on the two 10mm lower bolts holding the timing cover on. See many folks lather up the gasket with sealer and over-tighten the crap out of the cover bolts. Have seen this warp the cover causing the blowout issue OP is having now. Might want to re-visit how that was done (which sux). HTH.

Yeah I def used too much RTV and I'm pretty sure I overtightened everything. I took it back of last night, if I have time today I'm going to put it back on with correct procedure. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all of the help

Update:

I put an back together and so far I'm leak free. I only used a very thin layer of RTV to hold the gasket to the cover. Then placed the cover and hand tightened the bolts. Then attached the HB. Then tightened down the cover. The HB didn't leave me enough room to use a torque wrench, so I just went by feel.

Next up, fuel leak, then exhaust leak.

Thanks for the help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom