Timing belt and waterpump - DONE! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I didn't figure I would tackle this job on my own, but the more I researched and read it didn't seem that bad. So I gave it a go and got it done over a couple of Saturdays. Life is busy, so I had to piece the time together where I could.

This video was great, I pretty much just followed it, and had the FSM for reference if need be.

I bought this tool for the crank bolt. I didn't want to mess with trying to fab anything up. It worked great.
Amazon product ASIN B0051XDBBG
In the video his crank pulley comes right off so I guess I figured mine would too, but it didn't. A $15 puller set from Harbor Freight took care of that.
The fan pulley and fan hub were corrosion bonded on pretty good too. It took some banging with a large hammer and screw driver to work that loose.

In addition to the timing belt bits, I also replaced the fan bracket, serp tensioner and serp idler.

After seeing what a pain it was to get to the alternator, I decided to replace that as well. I got a reman Denso off of Amazon. I guess I wasn't paying as much attention as I should have been when figuring out what to buy because I ended up with an 80 amp unit, and I think the stock one I pulled out was 100 amp. 'Downgrading' bugs me. Oh well, live and learn.

I have a BIO front bumper with a bull bar, so I had to pull that off to make access easier.

In some of the write-ups and even in the video people are loosening bolts related to the AC compressor (to pull the fan bracket). I don't know why, I only had pull those two down angled bolts and bend that bracket out of the way and it came out fine. I replaced it with an OEM fan bracket which almost cost as much as the Aisin TB kit.

Total cost for all parts and tools: $1000

Pictures are always good, so here we go:

The timing belt still looked good. I think the water pump was end of life though. There had been leaking from the water hole:

Old Belt:

Alternators:
The new one looks smaller.

Work in process

It looked like a rodent had tried making a nest in the V. I fished all that out:

Pile of old parts:

Old sticker:

New sticker. It sure feels good putting that on there and knowing I did it myself and I'm good for at least 6 years.

Some of the AC mounts have locating collars that go in to the fan bracket. On those you have to loosen the compressor to get the clearance to get past the collars. I haven't figured out the pattern to which ones have them, so I just loosen them all.

Thanks Ryan. Your video was great and a huge help. Even though we've never met, after watching that video so many times I feel like we did the project together and that we're old friends.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom