Time to Upgrade. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I see a slippery slope forming.

Truly, I think to stay in the confines of what the 80 is capable of, 37's will be the biggest tire without major work, while still maximizing the factory flex.

The flex is great, but I watch the buggies and think why bother with the work of making the 80 a total beast in the rocks....Just get a stinking BUGGY!

As Ash has said before, "80's are not the best rock crawlers IMHO." Then I look at some of the cherry crawlers and the prices are insane. I still want one, of course! Actually, I would be cool with good quality parts that work well, are bomber, and I could do without the flashy skins, paint, and bling. How much would that save me?

I wish I had the patience to just collect parts slowly to build just what I wanted, and then unveil it a few years later. I don't know how Pappy kept sane. Just when you get it together, time to and work out most of the kinks, you tear it down and send it off for paint/powdercoating, then rebuild it again, still needing to work out the kinks.

G

I wish I had the patience to just collect parts slowly to build just what I wanted, and then unveil it a few years later. I don't know how Pappy kept sane. Just when you get it together, time to and work out most of the kinks, you tear it down and send it off for paint/powdercoating, then rebuild it again, still needing to work out the kinks.

G

Sanity is a relative term and it's interesting you used that word. I bought the Cruiser as a project to keep me sane during one of the most stressful times of my life. I'm confidant it kept me distracted, and working on it put me in a different world away from my daily reality. It did its job and now I get to enjoy it. I guess it's a way of payback.

It did its job and now I get to enjoy it. I guess it's a way of payback.

Everyone knows Jon and I are good friends and I love to tease him about the 40 and he retaliates in good fun.

That being said, everyone should get a chance to see Jon's 40 on the trails. That 2FE engine is the heart of the truck and it is incredible. He maintained 70+ MPH to and from Moab with ease. The return trip was in FWD and the truck never complained.

The torque in low range is unbelievable and that thing crawls over everything. It is no monster truck or buggy but it is very well done for what Jon wants to do with it. He had a smile on his face all day, every day we were in Moab. I caught him getting up every morning at 6:00am and just sitting in the truck. I saw him late at night just sitting in the truck. It was a work of love and he loves that thing!

It's a sweet rig indeed.
-Mike-

It's a sweet rig indeed.
-Mike-

I agree! I've wheeled with Jon twice now in Moab - last October and now with Cruise Moab. The 40 never fails to impress. Jon worked long and hard on that rig, and it's great that he can now enjoy it. :cheers:

Everyone knows Jon and I are good friends and I love to tease him about the 40 and he retaliates in good fun ....

I caught him getting up every morning at 6:00am and just sitting in the truck. I saw him late at night just sitting in the truck. It was a work of love and he loves that thing!

[sigh] A gross embellishment of course. After all, I don't think I saw Mike stir once before 7:30.

:grinpimp:

He maintained 70+ MPH to and from Moab with ease.

It's a sweet rig indeed.
-Mike-

I concur. I was in that caravan too. I know if I had been driving my old FJ60 with a 2F I would have been seriously struggling to ever get to 70mph. The whole crew would have been slowed down by my old beast. With my 100, 2 80s and Jon's 40, it seemed like nobody was holding anybody up. The only problems I saw for Jon was the lack of sway bars and then getting hit with some fierce crosswinds and wind blasts from 18-wheelers. There were a couple 'pucker' moments for me and I was a hundred feet back. I can't imagine how scary it was for him actually sitting inside the truck.

After all, I don't think I saw Mike stir once before 7:30.

I was peeking at you out of the tent flap. Shall I post pics? :flipoff2:

-Mike-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom