Builds time to start over (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so ive given up on the lx570 and picked up a 2014 fj with 116000km on it, this will be the build thread for what i hope is to be a serious offroad rig.

i will be looking at part crawler, part prerunner and part tourer.

first mods on the list will most likely be diff breathers safari snorkel then bilstien 51ÿ0/6112 lift.

watch this thread for updates and progress

Another option. Metal Tech FJ Cruiser/4Runner Offset Rear Lower Links

It's not so much that you need the adjustability, but the threaded ones allow you to replace the Johnny Joint end. However, the threaded ones also mean you need to service them at every oil change. Not just greasing the joints, but you need to back off the jam nuts and re-torque them every 5K miles.

The fixed ones from Superior have rubber bushings similar to the factory arms. When the rubber wears out, they are not replaceable (on the factory ones). Not sure if the Superior ones have replaceable bushings.

Most agree rubber bushings won't flex as much as the Johnny Joints. Just depends on what has priority for you: "maintenance free" or greater articulation.

the idea of the rubber oe bushes is that out here in aus they are easy to find on remote trips, with a 2 inch lift i dont think the extra flex is going to be worth the maintenance hassle

just curious, thinking of doing my diff, transmission and transer breathers this weekend since i have a brandnew arb kit at home. has anyone run them in through the air box or are the manifolds designed so water cant get in through them

The fronts are already located on the driver side of the engine bay. Extend them up a little further is all you have to do. For the rear, I pulled them up along the gas tank filler tube and they peek out next to my gas cap.

One correction/addition. The transmission and tcase vent lines are not pulled up into the engine bay nearly far enough - they barely extend beyond the firewall. They are very hard to get to, but if you can replace the soft lines with longer ones and bring them up alongside the front axle breathers as well.

/// just curious do i meed adjustable lowers for two inch rear lift,/// No, however the MetalTech brand links are very beefy at 1 3/4inch diameter drawn over mandrel tubing. That is close to schedule 80 pipe. It is then threaded deeply and the joint screwed in. Very strong link. I have "rode the rocks" on my factory links without damage and those links are 1/2 the wall thickness of the MetalTech links. The adjustability would be handy to "aim" the rear diff at the drive line if you go to a higher lift like 6 inch and beyond.

IMG_3443.jpg

Last edited:
will most lije be 2-2.5 inches in rear, the superior ones are still offset, as are most brands. i just prefer to buy australian

/// i just prefer to buy australian/// makes sense unless shipping charges are not a factor. I bought ARB front and rear bumpers in Ca from their dealership in Washington state and the shipping was free. I suppose I paid for it in the retail price!!

shipping charges usually arent the reason, im in aus so its just morals. just so much more gear in the states as it wasnt a big selling car here

will most likely by my lift from over seas as we only get one model of bilstiens here, the only thing close to those is the ome but i want monotube and the high end bp51s are having problems and not worth the coin

so rear diff and what im guessing is the front diff breathers done, is the smaller one on the wheel arch the transmission and is so does any one know if the transfer t's into the front diff or does it have its own

_20180325_115647.JPG

_20180325_115722.JPG

haha ye i understand, wasnt having a go at ya. superior engineering and roadsafe both make great products here in australia but its fairly basic stuff compared to what ypu guys have available

///superior engineering and roadsafe both make great products/// dont recall seeing any of those products. I know ARB is top shelf gear though.

///superior engineering and roadsafe both make great products/// dont recall seeing any of those products. I know ARB is top shelf gear though.

both superior and roadsafe are australian, probably why you dont hear of them. i aware arb make great products but they do stuff a lot of the more advanced companies do.

why the hostillity

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom