Ticking with rebuilt injectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
projectpursuitmedia.com
Greetings,

After pulling the injectors, having them rebuilt with new tips and putting them back in, my engine now ticks like a broken clock. Wondering if this is somewhat to be expected. Other things done at the time:

New glow plugs
New fuel filter
Various new hoses
Stanadyne lubricity formula
Block off acsd

Past mx:

Rebuilt IP
Timing Chain / tensioner replaced
Valve clearances (2 years ago)

Video:

It sounds like still has some air in the pump.. have you taken it for a good fang around the block? - try also repeatedly pushing the primer pump as well whilst its idling.

Greetings,

After pulling the injectors, having them rebuilt with new tips and putting them back in, my engine now ticks like a broken clock. Wondering if this is somewhat to be expected. Other things done at the time:

New glow plugs
New fuel filter
Various new hoses
Stanadyne lubricity formula
Block off acsd

Past mx:

Rebuilt IP
Timing Chain / tensioner replaced
Valve clearances (2 years ago)

Video:

My 1hdft started doing the same thing, and it also seemed to be coming from the injection pump area. I was told it’s normal, but I don’t believe it.
Watching…

It sounds like still has some air in the pump.. have you taken it for a good fang around the block? - try also repeatedly pushing the primer pump as well whilst its idling.

Pushed the primer a handful of times while idling, three separate occasions. Put about 100km’s on it today, no change in noise.

Rebuilt by Toyota in Japan two years ago.
This was going to be my first comment, definitely look at the timing. The fact Toyota rebuilt it (which is dubious in itself - Toyota don’t rebuild pumps they sell you new ones, unless the dealer outsourced the rebuild to a pump shop) is irrelevant. Timing is done when it’s installed, and could’ve been set for tired injectors. The crack pressures have changed so the exact time of start of injection has effectively changed as well. Either use a tool to set it to spec or try advancing or retarding it a hair and see if it improves (obviously scratch mark before starting).

I’d go as far as saying if you didn’t revisit the timing after replacing old injectors with new I’d expect it to tick/nock

yes, set the pump timing matching its timing mark to the corresponding mark on the timing plate

injection pump ticking is normal on 1hdfte, it is usually dampened by the use of insulating foams from the factory etc - once the pump is removed for overhauling these foams don't come out intact - you'll have to get those insulators / dampers - but first set the pump timing and check vehicle performance

yes, set the pump timing matching its timing mark to the corresponding mark on the timing plate

injection pump ticking is normal on 1hdfte, it is usually dampened by the use of insulating foams from the factory etc - once the pump is removed for overhauling these foams don't come out intact - you'll have to get those insulators / dampers - but first set the pump timing and check vehicle performance
Video shows a 1HD-T. FTE has no timing marks it’s all done electronically. You don’t just align marks on a 1HD-T, they’re only used to get you in the ballpark - you use a tool that mounts a dial gauge to the plunger in the pump, you put the crank to the correct orientation then rotate the pump to get the desired depth. It has a tolerance range and within this (or occasionally under specific circumstances just outside it) you can correct for nocking

Video shows a 1HD-T. FTE has no timing marks it’s all done electronically. You don’t just align marks on a 1HD-T, they’re only used to get you in the ballpark - you use a tool that mounts a dial gauge to the plunger in the pump, you put the crank to the correct orientation then rotate the pump to get the desired depth. It has a tolerance range and within this (or occasionally under specific circumstances just outside it) you can correct for nocking
FTE has a mark too - to help align the pump during install.

in case of the 1hdft - indeed the mark is used to get into the ball park - playing with the pump timing in this case will help with diagnosis, once all is checked and corrected if needed the dial gauge tool can be used to set the IP timing, I usually do that step last because its a PITA to do so.

Matching the marks on the housing might get you into the ball park, but it also might leave you in the street outside the ball park.
The ticking isn’t indicative of an issue correct? Is the best move to leave-it-be?

Finally got time/opportunity to mess with timing. Huge improvement with the first adjustment.
1CEFF266-7844-49A9-94A0-703BD0F07DE7.jpeg

The etch on the housing was at the bottom end of the crude etch on the pump, slightly retarded it to the top. Was instantly quieter and smoother at the bottom end.

Plethora of tools used to do this…
9AC18FDA-9DA7-42CF-A32E-8673C6318346.jpeg

Great series of posts, and it just taught me even more about what I don’t know about diesels. 12:32am and I just put the brakes on my plan to rebuild my injectors tomorrow.

One more thing: when I use the pump on the fuel filter, the ticking on my IP goes away temporarily. That is an indication of _________.

One more thing: when I use the pump on the fuel filter, the ticking on my IP goes away temporarily. That is an indication of _________.

The only thing your hand pump is doing is filling the injector pump to the maximum which is maybe quietening the clatter inside the pump. If it runs fine, I would not be too concerned.
You could check the feed pump pressure from the specs in the manual but they last a long time.

Update for anyone following. DFIS reached out to me a week or so ago, said after I reported some noise to them they discovered an issue with their tooling, and wanted my injectors back to retest. I sent them off, and they found that the #1 injector was out of spec, and likely causing the issue. Waiting on the injectors back, but I'll update again once I get them back in. Also going to reset the timing to where it was, since I had retarded to alleviate the noise, and the timing was previously set by the dealership after pump and timing belt R&R.

Can't speak highly enough of Kyle and DFIS, takes a lot of care to reach back out like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom