Thump or Slight Kick at Idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm starting to develop a very infrequently thump or kick at idle... Today it happened three times during a stop light. Very minor. I've seen some threads on older models, but nothing on the 2018 GX460. Ideas?

AC compressor cycling on and off?

Bad gas? Refill with reputable brand from a trusted station, 91+. Run a full tank and see if problem persists.

Grease your drive shaft. Prop shaft. Whatever people are calling it these days.
That would not cause multiple thumps at a single stop. I experienced this in my FJ Cruiser and it is a single thump just as you come to a stop.

I was wondering about this too..... Too much grease is bad to correct??
the extra grease will just get flung onto the underside of the car. I have some flung on there from the factory. I haven't added any grease to my driveshafts yet.

I had this happen on my 2006 v8 4runner (near identical drivetrain) and see it pop up occasionally for people on the gx forums or fb groups. If you have a grease gun, it's like 5 min to do it and at least you can eliminate it from the list of potential causes if the problem persists.

Coil pack? Could be one starting to miss occasionally. If it is very random, it won't throw a code.

I was wondering about this too..... Too much grease is bad to correct??
Grease the u-joints (4) until new grease starts oozing out.
Only pump 3 or 4 times when greasing the (2) driveline yokes.

Do the U joints in a stationary vehicle at idle really make any noise?

Confused by the description of the noise and the recommended remedy of greasing drive shafts.

Do the U joints in a stationary vehicle at idle really make any noise?

Confused by the description of the noise and the recommended remedy of greasing drive shafts.
No, at rest u-joints should make no noise. If they do, you have bigger problems 😂
The slip joint (yoke) on the drive shaft has been known to make noise when coming to a stop, or starting off from one, as the contracting or expanding of the slip joint will clunk if not properly lubed.
My recommendation above was an answer to the question about too much grease in the slip joint, and an effort to differentiate them from the u-joints.

Last edited:
Can you provide more information? Did it do this at startup? Only at idle like at stop lights? How frequent? Once per stop? Every 3 seconds, etc? Can you hear it? Feel it? Where? Thump? Engine stumble? Radio cutting in/out? RPM range when it happens? Rev in neutral fix it? Make it worse? Engine temp dependent? Cat stuck under hood??? :) The likelihood of a meaningful diagnosis is pretty proportional to the amount of information given. :)

I'm going to grease the yoke today.... I have greased the yoke, but never enough to ooze out. This event has still only happened once or twice.

No, at rest u-joints should make no noise. If they do, you have bigger problems 😂
The slip joint (yoke) on the drive shaft has been known to make noise when coming to a stop, or starting off from one, as the contracting or expanding of the slip joint will clunk if not properly lubed.
My recommendation above was an answer to the question about too much grease in the slip joint, and an effort to differentiate them from the u-joints.
Good Post Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom