Throttle position sensor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I pulled the codes on my CEL and it came back as a bad throttle position sensor. I ordered the part and picked it up this morning. Is this a simple install? Does the throttle body need to come apart? Thanks for any help. I sold it yesterday and the light came on right after the sale ended. I want to make it right prior to shipping.

So I pulled the codes on my CEL and it came back as a bad throttle position sensor. I ordered the part and picked it up this morning. Is this a simple install? Does the throttle body need to come apart? Thanks for any help. I sold it yesterday and the light came on right after the sale ended. I want to make it right prior to shipping.
What year?

From the 94 FSM:
It's not hard. However, if you muck it up, it won't run right.
Maybe just give the new owner the part, have the code cleared at the local FLAPS and let the new owner deal with it?

1657898354896.png

You're supposed to use an analog multimeter, connect it to a couple of pins on the TPS connector, and stick a feeler gauge into the throttle dashpot, then rotate the TPS until the multimeter needle deflects. Plus, you need to be sucking on a hose while doing it.

Or you can just eyeball it and try to get it about where the old one was. This worked for me for awhile, but it seemed to cause a slight hesitation when pulling out of my driveway on a cold engine. Following the FSM instructions got rid of the hesitation.

The adjustment procedure is a page or two past what @BILT4ME posted.

Screenshot_20220715-082750_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Yikes….thanks for the info. I’m going to take a look, but I’m thinking I’ll just send the part with the truck. It’s running great, just the CEL light is on. I’ll just clear the codes and let him know.

@blan09 : did you move, work on, or clean anything in the Engine bay before the code popped up?? Clean or wash the engine with water??

One thing you could try is to disconnect the harness connector to the TPS (push down on the latch and wiggle), inspect for corrosion or crud, then blow/clean it out using CRC Electronics cleaner (do not use brake/carb cleaner), let it dry, snap the connectors back together.

You're supposed to use an analog multimeter, connect it to a couple of pins on the TPS connector, and stick a feeler gauge into the throttle dashpot, then rotate the TPS until the multimeter needle deflects. Plus, you need to be sucking on a hose while doing it.

Or you can just eyeball it and try to get it about where the old one was. This worked for me for awhile, but it seemed to cause a slight hesitation when pulling out of my driveway on a cold engine. Following the FSM instructions got rid of the hesitation.

The adjustment procedure is a page or two past what @BILT4ME posted.

View attachment 3059673

Hi, is the spot 1 in the photo where I apply vacuum? Thanks.

1666968106429.png

Yes, this is where vacuum needs to be applied. It pulls the actuator away from the set screw. I have no idea what the function of this vacuum device is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom