throttle cable cruise control (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just discovered that my throttle cable works as an impromptu cruise control. Score!

I've used mine during long stretches of road, gives my foot some cooling down and stretching time. As long as I know no one is going to brake or pull out in front of me....

Not recommended at all. It is not safe NO. This is being put on here for the people scanning to see if it would be safe to use. I would NOT do it.

Agreed, not safe. Similar to a throttle lock on a motorcycle.

If someone does cut in front of you, or hits the brakes hard ( especially those of you with Automatics ) the throttle cable will keep your throttle pegged and not allow the transmission to shift into neutral, causing a condition where it'll be very difficult for you to stop.

For short distances, less than 100 yards to rest your leg, maybe, but it is NOT a replacement for a traditional cruise control.

I prefer to wedge a 2x4 between the seat and the pedal :meh:

:beer: Ramon

It worked on the long stretches of 40 where I was alone. It was just an interesting solution to the boredom that resides between Cary and Wilmington.

Agreed, not safe. Similar to a throttle lock on a motorcycle.

If someone does cut in front of you, or hits the brakes hard ( especially those of you with Automatics ) the throttle cable will keep your throttle pegged and not allow the transmission to shift into neutral, causing a condition where it'll be very difficult for you to stop.

For short distances, less than 100 yards to rest your leg, maybe, but it is NOT a replacement for a traditional cruise control.

And then for us with manuals, all it does is rev the engine higher than usual....

And then for us with manuals, all it does is rev the engine higher than usual....

And with an auto you can shift into neutral for the same effect. Is this the safest thing to be doing..... No. Would I do it..... not really. Especially with the crappy brakes these cruisers have.

Would it be a major problem on a dark desert highway with a cool wind in your hair?? Most likely not because your line of sight would be great and you can see for miles in any direction. Just don't stop at the Hotel California, for you can never leave.

Did the 62s not come with a cruise control on the 3FE like the early 80's did?? If not i'm sure a retrofit isn't too hard.

And with an auto you can shift into neutral for the same effect. Is this the safest thing to be doing..... No. W

Yeah, but with an automatic you have to THINK about putting it back in neutral to make your defensive/reactive move, it's just not natural. Compared to the automatic reaction of always pushing the clutch in before and during braking. IF the clutch is all the way in, it's not going to affect reaction/braking time more than what is normal. I mean you're not doing any heel and toe deceleration when someone pulls out in front of you! I say with manuals, you're no more at risk of wrecking when using the throttle cable for keeping the pedal down as you are using your foot, just putting undo high revs on the engine until you push the cable in.

I've done it on straight level low volume traffic highways. It doesn't work well on hilly roads.

I've put on thousands of miles with a motorcycle throttle lock.

Bottom line is, it is simply not a safe practice.

Wow, I certainly didn't think this would be such a controversial topic.

For the record, I did say cruise control, not autopilot. I didn't climb into the back seat and take a nap while doing it, nor did I use it the entire 130 mile trip. As in any circumstance behind the wheel, everyone should know their capabilities and be in control of their vehicle at all times.

If you drive I40 regularly between Wilmington and Raleigh, especially at 9am on a Tuesday, you know there are looong stretches that you are the only vehicle on the road. These stretches were testing ground for this new realization. Any time that there happened to be traffic, I took over the reins, just as everyone should when using a conventional cruise control, which my truck does have, but it doesn't work and I've never been able to find any decent info on fixing it. If someone has said info, that'd be awesome, then I could fix it and start taking cruise control siestas like the car gods intended.

Until then, if you see a high balling gray 62 on I40 and you see feet hanging out the window, post it up on "you've been spotted', as 62s are awesome and I still can't believe no one has seen me, because I'm everywhere. Right Jeremy?

I'll say this group surprises me sometimes! So, what would we all say about the safety of using our popular non DOT approved bumpers, extended brake lines, power steering conversions, and lift springs? How about showing our pictures of dangerous off road conditions that we frequently put ourselves in? Spotting people in flip-flops! :D

I think the caveat should be that everything posted in these forums has inherent risk, and it should be done at the comfort and responsibility of the individual. Becuase we are hobbyists and amateurs, not certified professionals in the off road/automotive industry...

Yeah, but with an automatic you have to THINK about putting it back in neutral to make your defensive/reactive move, it's just not natural. Compared to the automatic reaction of always pushing the clutch in before and during braking. IF the clutch is all the way in, it's not going to affect reaction/braking time more than what is normal. I mean you're not doing any heel and toe deceleration when someone pulls out in front of you! I say with manuals, you're no more at risk of wrecking when using the throttle cable for keeping the pedal down as you are using your foot, just putting undo high revs on the engine until you push the cable in.

Yeah for people with slow reactions :flipoff2: I kid I kid.

Just to reiterate my stance. Is it the safest, no. Would I do it, no. Do I care if anyone does it, no.

I've seen plenty of threads over the years on mud on this exact topic and they all end up the same.

Do it if you want to and feel safe doing it. :cheers:

I'll say this group surprises me sometimes! So, what would we all say about the safety of using our popular non DOT approved bumpers, extended brake lines, power steering conversions, and lift springs? How about showing our pictures of dangerous off road conditions that we frequently put ourselves in? Spotting people in flip-flops!

I think the caveat should be that everything posted in these forums has inherent risk, and it should be done at the comfort and responsibility of the individual. Becuase we are hobbyists and amateurs, not certified professionals in the off road/automotive industry...

This is not a light-hearted issue. Every single person on the road should take actions to ensure that the way they operate their vehicle does not intentionally increase the risk not only to yourself, but to others on the road. This is not about modifications. Besides, how the heck do flip-flops have to do with increasing the risk of our fellow road-goers :confused::confused::confused:

I'm as flustered as Darin. I personally take steps to ensure that the modifications done on my vehicle are done in a way that is not only legal, but is also safe. I use factory parts whenever possible and only DOT-Certified aftermarket parts. Aftermarket bumpers need only not purposefully eliminate a crumple zone or disable airbag function.

You're right, this group surprises me sometimes.

Last edited:
This is not a light-hearted issue. Every single person on the road should take actions to ensure that the way they operate their vehicle does not intentionally increase the risk not only to yourself, but to others on the road. This is not about modifications. Besides, how the heck do flip-flops have to do with increasing the risk of our fellow road-goers :confused::confused::confused:

I'm as flustered as Darin. I personally take steps to ensure that the modifications done on my vehicle are done in a way that is not only legal, but is also safe. I use factory parts whenever possible and only DOT-Certified aftermarket parts. Aftermarket bumpers need only not purposefully eliminate a crumple zone or disable airbag function.

You're right, this group surprises me sometimes.

I am right there with you Johnny. If someone wishes to do something that risks injury to themselves that is one thing, but to do something that has the potential to put others in harms way, NO!!! If someone is dumb enough to go spotting on a trail that is rough enough to need spotting in anything other than somewhat protective and supportive footwear, it is on them.

I can also speak to the bumper issue. Although I am not a certified industry professional, I can tell you that there are bumpers out there that have unsafe aspects to them. Several years back an LOD rear tire swing out broke off the back of a Jeep in traffic. Fortunately no one was injured but it could have been fatal if it bounced up and went through a windshield. It broke due to the use of a small spindle in single shear without a swing side mount that also supported weight and had a serious locking mechanism.

The bottom line again is that it is an unsafe practice that has the potential to harm OTHERS if the wrong circumstances present themselves and the operator does not handle the situation correctly.

I think Brian was getting at the fact that most things we do to our trucks impact the safety of ourselves or others in certain ways. And the flip flop comment come from some older pics and mostly was an inside joke for those on that trip.

Big beefy bumper??? we've just increased the chance of killing or seriously harming someone if we T-bone them.

Spring over axles- lift kits..... we've just increased the chance of a roll over is someone takes a corner too fast or needs to make an emergency maneuver of some sort.

In many countries around the world these sort of modifications are illegal for those exact reasons. Hell in lots of states they are illegal but not enforced.

I could go on and on with different things but i'm not we all have different opinions here and shouldn't get caught up in arguing about it.

Now we just need a big group hug...... but no meatball i'm pretty sure he'd show up greased up and in his tighty whities :hillbilly:

Now we just need a big group hug...... but no meatball i'm pretty sure he'd show up greased up and in his tighty whities :hillbilly:

EWWWWWWWW, that is a picture I just do not want in my head

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom