Three 6 Hybrids is Moving Out of the Carport (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ60Cam

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.mosleymotors.com
Coming Soon...

C18FB92F-9562-4307-8E46-6D0D8B9F1D81.jpeg

Sweet, I was hoping the new digs would get their own thread.

:popcorn:

It’s hard enough out here for a pimp...

...without having to work out of a carport. So, as my pimp hand got stronger, I started keeping my eyes out for a cheap shop to lease.

The key word being CHEAP. I’m finally close to replacing my HTPRS salary and don’t need to spend it all on overhead just for the sake of having a shop.

But it also had to be convenient. FJ60Cam is through with the daily commute.

I’m also a stay-at-home mom - I take my kids to school in the morning and pick them up in the afternoon, so it had to be close to the general home-school-school-home triangle.

It also had to be convenient to my parts & service providers that I frequent.

So, the likelihood of ever finding such a unicorn spot was slim. But I love real estate so I’m always looking.

Finally I found the spot.

It was too good to be true.

Small, nondescript, secure lot, off the beaten path, plenty of outside storage, less than ten minutes from home, and the rent was practically free. I call the leasing office and it is still available. The guy I need to talk is not in though.

I drive over to check it out and it’s perfect.

I call back and talk to the agent to take a look and it IS too good to be true after all. This building was originally part of the property with the nearby buildings, so it has everything I need except running water. It is good for storage and light work only.

No bueno.

All the excitement quickly leaving, I leave in a different direction than I came. This street dead ends at little slice of Memphis Heaven known as Summer Ave. Right as Summer I see a small block building with For Sale By Owner and For Rent signs on the fence.

I take a pic of the sign and head to lunch.

12DBB13D-C60A-4E40-8042-58E4D4795827.jpeg

When I called the number, he said they really just want to sell it. When he told me the price, I thought my phone was breaking up and may have missed the first digit.

I claimed my phone cut out and hesitantly asked him to repeat it, not wanting to sound too excited...

“...$65K... want to come take a look?”

It was on the small side for a shop, but the price was a third of the cheapest I’d come across before, and those all needed work anyway. This one needed more work, but was in a much better location, for a lot of reasons.

Last edited:
After lunch, I met the seller and got the rundown. He was part of an investment group that is buying properties in the area, cleaning them up and selling.

I ran a few background checks on the property and see that they bought this as part of a an estate with several propertand are selling them individually.

An insane amount of investment dollars have been put into Broad Avenue (a block away) and the surrounding area in the past ten years and has gone from a place to get shot to a hipster yuppie paradise.

Summer is the natural northern boundary of such gentrification and will take a little longer to see a full turnaround, but now is the time to buy.

There are multiple ways to win here.

Last edited:
It’s small and cozy, and will be outgrown quickly, but is the perfect size for Phase II of the carport. Most importantly, it looks like a classic shop.

539A9CFF-1617-426F-AF3F-0CA7E9A55019.jpeg

This place has been ridden hard and put away wet for a long time. The last guy didn’t even have the utilities connected, he just worked off a generator. He had cars and junk packed in everywhere. It takes a multipoint turn to turn a 100 around in the lot, but that guy had almost 30 cars in there.

The investors went in with a front end loader and got it back to the basics.

Letz Make It Do What It Do Automotive and mascot Ray Charles really did a number on the place.

CE7D5E7E-3618-4782-851B-1B562C7B6A14.jpeg

It’s small and cozy, and will be outgrown quickly, but is the perfect size for Phase II of the carport. Most importantly, it looks like a classic shop.

View attachment 2164979

This place has been ridden hard and put away wet for a long time. The last guy didn’t even have the utilities connected, he just worked off a generator. He had cars and junk packed in everywhere. It takes a multipoint turn to turn a 100 around in the lot, but that guy had almost 30 cars in there.

The investors went in with a front end loader and got it back to the basics.

Letz Make It Do What It Do Automotive and mascot Ray Charles really did a number on the place.

View attachment 2164988

I lol’d

I'm sure you already know, but take security seriously. I have 2 friends who had shops in that general locale and got broken into more than their fair share. One moved because of it and the other just retired, he had been there for decades. I say that living 1/8 mile from summer myself 😆.

Last edited:
Looks like this build is slowly waking from its hibernation...

Shortly after the purchase, I started calling contractors to come out and give me quotes for new windows, doors, and a garage door. All had 4+ week lead times, so I made my selections and waited. Last week I get calls from all three saying they are ready to come out this week.

First up is new windows. Originally, I was going to demo the windows, but the glass company said they could do it for another day’s labor, so I told them to go for it. I still have a few things to wrap up, so I’d rather they do it. They called me first thing this morning to come let them on the property. Of course, as soon as they look at everything, they start backpedalling.

One of the windows is partially obscured by an awning on the outside & sheetrock & framing in the inside, so I was expecting to have to assist. After getting them started, I went back home for demo tools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom