Thoughts on Redarc.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys. So I have a 2009 f250 that I am in the process of putting together a aux battery system. Sense the f250 has a dual battery system from the factory for cranking the diesel I plan on adding a third battery (31M Odyssey) frame mounted to run my Snowmaster and a inverter to charge the cameras and drone. I have started looking at the Redarc 20A in vehicle charger and the BMS 30. I’d like to hear what you guys think about the two systems and if I’m on the right track or if you have a better idea. I like these because both have solar input. I’ll attach the links bellow to both systems bellow.

20A In-Vehicle DC Battery Charger

The Manager30

I have no experience with Redarc and their devices.

But I have a similar set-up in my LBZ (2007 Chevy HD2500 DuraMax) with the exception of using a 200A LiFePO4 in lieu of the Odyssey aux. Having said that I was using the LiFePO4 in my TrailTailor trailer pulled behind my '99 100-Series that has dual Odyssey batteries (G31 Main + G34 Aux) where I relied upon the OEM 100A alternator to keep all 3 batteries charged along with PV solar when in multi-day camp mode.

On the LBZ I have a Powergate dual rectifier isolator mounted to separate the dual main batteries from the LiFePO4 battery. I rely, since the LBZ is not being used for multi-day camping yet, upon the alternator to keep all three charged. I have two SnoMaster fridge/freezers mounted in the bed: A 61l and a 37l unit. Up until 2-weeks ago, when I added the 37l unit, the 61 has been running 24/7 since October in freeze mode (set at 5ºF). And now I have the 37l unit set for freeze and the 61l unit set for fridge use.

I also have a Xantrex PROWatt SW 2000w inverter I use for power tools, espresso machine, etc. use as/when needed. I have a Victron 30/100 MPPT controller I use to regulate the PV to battery current/charge.

Although I haven't used my PV system to charge the LiFePO4 in the LBZ, I have a simple circuit designed to back feed charge current from the PV system to the LiFePO4 when/if I'm camped for more than a couple days. When the LiFePO4 was mounted in the TT trailer I used PV to keep it charged, when in multi-day camp mode when behind the 100-Series, without issue.

It all works.

I'm a fan of Redarc products. The Manager30 is a nice unit, however, keep in mind it's only available in 240VAC input. Something like the BCDC1225D with an inverter and a 120V charger would be one way of going about it if you want to use shore power and charge via shore. My current setup is the SBI12 (dual sensing isolator) and a GoPower 2000W inverter/charger/switch all in one. Works ok. It's a large unit though. I'm planning on keeping the GoPower (for now until Redarc gets a 120V Manager30) putting in the BCDC1225D for MPPT, dual battery isolation, voltage raised charging via the temp sensing alternator, and ability to handle LiFePO4.

I had a NoCo mounted in the first truck , but it was 110, and it kept both AGM's (one group 27 and one 31)topped off ....and it was a he'll of a lot less money then that.

I'm a fan of Redarc products. The Manager30 is a nice unit, however, keep in mind it's only available in 240VAC input. Something like the BCDC1225D with an inverter and a 120V charger would be one way of going about it if you want to use shore power and charge via shore. My current setup is the SBI12 (dual sensing isolator) and a GoPower 2000W inverter/charger/switch all in one. Works ok. It's a large unit though. I'm planning on keeping the GoPower (for now until Redarc gets a 120V Manager30) putting in the BCDC1225D for MPPT, dual battery isolation, voltage raised charging via the temp sensing alternator, and ability to handle LiFePO4.

for the sake of the thread, the manager30 is now available in 120v for North American markets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom