Third Brake Light Not Working on 1996 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A little late to the party but hopefully it will help someone. I purchased a red LED light strip from Amazon. Cut to size and replaced the older light strip with it. I cut the wires and removed the old light strip. Got the new LED strip and tied the wires to the old wires which were still attached to the connection and voila ! Third brake light nice and bright and under $9 bucks !!
Hey bud so did this fox get you out of replacing the diode or not? Thanks for reply.

Hey bud so did this fox get you out of replacing the diode or not? Thanks for reply.
Correct, I did not have to replace the diode. This is the LED light strip I bought from Amazon.

F87D943E-CCFB-49E6-BD4F-C15BBB2BAEF2.jpeg

and then you just wired it into the light then?

1: Remove the two screws holing the third brake light on. a stubby phillips works fine.
2: Pull the light down. it will just hang from the wires.
3: Mask the area in front of the LED bulbs with 1" blue painters tape.
4: Trim the tape with a box cutter or razor to just cover the area in front of the bulbs
5: Use some Scotch Brite to scuff the areas not covered by the tape.
6: Clean scuffed areas with alcohol.
7: Mask the car and rear window around the light so you don't paint the car.
8: lightly paint the third brake light with flat black paint. two or three light coats will do.
9: Let dry a hour or so, remove painters tape and masking on car.
10: put light back in.

Maybe these will help. Yours truly...

Ok, I have a new problem with this issue. Looks like the previous owner has yanked a bunch of wiring and harnesses out. Neither Third brake light nor my rear wiper is working. I have a bad feeling that I’m missing a complete harness. Does anyone know or can guide me exactly what I’m looking for? I see no wires coming out from under the third brake light and I do see 2 plugs covering the holes.

There should be a few wires inside a long S shaped grommet (flexible rubber tube) running from the rear body opening (top left corner) to the hatch; is that present?

There should be a few wires inside a long S shaped grommet (flexible rubber tube) running from the rear body opening (top left corner) to the hatch; is that present?
So I had to drop the headliner to fish out the harness. The previous owner disconnects it and forgot to reconnect it when he replaced the headliner. At least I have power not lol
On to the diode fix

Do you still have the grommet the wires run in? You'll want that of course to keep water out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom