Third Brake Light Not Working on 1996 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My third brake light is not working right now. When I went in for vehicle inspection today, I failed because my brake light was not working. When I checked it, it was working again. I just checked and it is not working, again. What gives? I did a search but no one tells how to actually fix the problem.

Can anyone give me instructions on what to do to get this working again so I can get this REJECTION sticker off my truck? Thanks!

How do I do that (check the wires)?

Once I check them, what do I do? What am I looking for? Sorry, for all the questions.

zener diode

Do a search for zener diode. It fails intemittently and needs to be replaced. You can find the diode at radio shack for a couple bucks. The entire assembly costs about $500 bucks. It is a :banana: job if you can solder. Search my screen name for the link.

Comet.

Probably a broken wire at the pivot point where the harness transits from the roof to the upper gate. My wife's truck had that exact problem.

The wires here flex when the hatch opens and closes, which can cause a wire to chafe or even break internally. I would start by putting a board on the brake pedal, so the brake lights stay on. Then open the hatch and wiggle the wires between hatch and body. If the 3rd light flickers or goes on/off, you know where the problem is. Look for obviously damaged wires. An internal break would not be visible, so it may come down to wiggling every wire in that bundle until you find the problem, and then flexing different parts of that wire until you locate an internal break.

Try that and report back. The fix will depend on what the problem is.

i was trying to see how do I tap into the brake light? Isn't that the easy fix?

I am doing the diode fix now. Can anyone tell me how to remove the old one from the strip?

I didi it!!!! I changed the diode and now it works!!!!!! Thanks, IH8MUD, especially you, Comet!!!

Can't take the credit, IH8MUD is the best!

Glad to hear it worked. Mine is still passing those VA inspections. I actually got the fix from the site and remember how frustrating electrical gremlins can be in ANY vehicle. Congratulations!

Cyclo Steve, thanks for the post. I knew I found it somewhere on MUD. No original ideas in my head, just research and excellent guys like you to keep my hunk o' junk on the road legally. It truly amazes me how much good information is out there on our rigs.

Thanks again :beer:,

Comet.

Does anyone know the size (ohms) of any resistor(s) on the board for the third brake light LEDs, the current draw of the LEDs, and if the zener diode is in parallel with the LED's?? Anyone got a photo showing all the electronics for the LED strip?

Last edited:
zener diode

Do a search for zener diode. It fails intemittently and needs to be replaced. You can find the diode at radio shack for a couple bucks. The entire assembly costs about $500 bucks. It is a :banana: job if you can solder. Search my screen name for the link.

Comet.

@Comet - I just failed inspection today for the 3rd tail light and suspect it's the same problem. Since my vehicle is still at the shop and I don't have it with me for reference, I wanted to ask - is the led light assembly is accessed from the exterior or interior (via panel removal)?

I have the 'stuck in Park' issue with my shifter and am hoping that it may also be related.

Third brake light is accessed from the inside. It has been YEARS since I replaced mine; however, I think there's a couple screws holding the assembly inside. It comes down and can be removed. The write-up above provided by @CycloSteve in the link will steer you in the correct direction for replacing the Zener diode. If you are half way competent with a soldering iron (present party included) then it is an easy fix.

I doubt the stuck in park issue is related to the failure of the brake light. There's a neutral safety switch somewhere up front. That is where I would start related to the "stuck in park" conundrum. Good luck and keep us posted.

I had a chevy cavalier years ago that would get stuck in park. I would get out, push the car back and forth a few times, get in and it would work. Ended up being a narley transmission issue that haunted me for years (I was too cheap to fix it).

I have the 'stuck in Park' issue with my shifter and am hoping that it may also be related.

The brake light circuit releases the park lock, if the fuse is blown, will not be able to shift out of park without pushing the override release button.

I did the zener diode repair. Took about 15 minutes and even being careful popped on clip inside the light. Since no radio shack, bought a 10 pack of the diodes so I should be good for the next couple hundred years if this replacement cycle holds true:rimshot:

zener diode

Comet.
Um, Radio Shack is out of business....

Bought from Mouser electronics. 10 and shipping was about 10 bucks. 8 of it for shipping. If you were close to me, I would just give you one.

https://www.mouser.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom