Third Brake Light Not Working on 1996 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Tallyho74 - what part number did you order? There are a ton of zener diodes to choose from and I want to be sure I'm picking a part that can handle enough watts for the assembly. I repair vintage recording gear from time to time, so I'm cobbling together an order that includes parts for other gear I'll be working on eventually... trying to make the best of the situation.

The brake light circuit releases the park lock, if the fuse is blown, will not be able to shift out of park without pushing the override release button.

I checked the fuse and it's intact. I can yank it out of park, I just need to do so with force.

I checked the fuse and it's intact. I can yank it out of park, I just need to do so with force.

All of the brake lights are out or just the third? No need to force the shifter, there is a park release override button.

@Tallyho74 - what part number did you order? There are a ton of zener diodes to choose from and I want to be sure I'm picking a part that can handle enough watts for the assembly. I repair vintage recording gear from time to time, so I'm cobbling together an order that includes parts for other gear I'll be working on eventually... trying to make the best of the situation.

i just saw this. I can't find my order email so when I get home, I will take a picture of the package. I searched Mouser for the 5.1v Zener diode based on this post

The 36th Lock: DIY Landcruiser Third Brake Light Fix: $0.69

Hopefully this helps and I will edit a shot of the package later on today

I searched Mouser for the 5.1v Zener diode based on this post

The 36th Lock: DIY Landcruiser Third Brake Light Fix: $0.69

Hopefully this helps and I will edit a shot of the package later on today

Yes, I used the same article to narrow down the search to 5.1v zener diodes, but since the author said he wasn't sure about whether they could handle wattage long-term (it's a 1W part), I wasnt sure if you went with a higher wattage capacity diode. No worries, I'll snag a 1.3W part and should be good to go. thanks!

I got the diodes today and went out to access the light assembly. Taking a look at it and quickly trying to pry off the screw covers on the led assembly cover with a flathead screwdriver, I'm nervous that I'm going to break them. Is there a trick to popping off the screw covers without breaking them? @Tallyho74 - do you recall?

There is a pin in the center of the head of the clip. Push that pin in with a small punch or similar. That will release the tabs and the clip can be pulled out.

Well, @cruiserdan, I was just impatient enough to begin that I ruined one of the plugs. I checked my phone in the process and saw post which saved the second one. It's barely visible, but I don't like that it's cracked. Are those plugs still readily available?

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I got the diode swapped out and, sure enough, that was it, so my LED strip is now working again.

My truck goes in for (overdue) inspection Friday. Now all that's left to pass inspection is the check engine light which the shop is going to reset and we're hoping will stay extinguished long enough to pass the inspection.

A little late to the party but hopefully it will help someone. I purchased a red LED light strip from Amazon. Cut to size and replaced the older light strip with it. I cut the wires and removed the old light strip. Got the new LED strip and tied the wires to the old wires which were still attached to the connection and voila ! Third brake light nice and bright and under $9 bucks !!

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I got the diode swapped out and, sure enough, that was it, so my LED strip is now working again.

My truck goes in for (overdue) inspection Friday. Now all that's left to pass inspection is the check engine light which the shop is going to reset and we're hoping will stay extinguished long enough to pass the inspection.
Bought from Mouser electronics. 10 and shipping was about 10 bucks. 8 of it for shipping. If you were close to me, I would just give you one.

https://www.mouser.com
hello. I was wondering if anyone knew the part description/number for the zenner diode from Mouser? There are a bunch of choices and just want to buy one that will hold up for my 96 LC. Thank u

FYI, I bought a Red waterproof LED strip on Amazon for $8. I removed the old brake strip and replaced it with the LEDs. It was easy, bright and has been working great for over a year now. I saw it on YouTube on another vehicle. Hope this helps.

FYI, I bought a Red waterproof LED strip on Amazon for $8. I removed the old brake strip and replaced it with the LEDs. It was easy, bright and has been working great for over a year now. I saw it on YouTube on another vehicle. Hope this helps.
Figure I’d give the diode a go before I replace LED. Just wondering if the repair holds up or are guys just doing for a temp fix to pass inspection.

Taken today, still going strong !

601CA353-A68A-439C-AE92-1A8387E3C3CA.jpeg

Figured I would revive this old-ish thread and say I just fixed my 3rd brake light with this very inexpensive diode! Shipping for them was 3X the cost of the diodes. Haha. Still all in for $10 - If anyone comes across this thread and needs an extra diode, I would be happy to share the love. I bought some extras. Probably the cost of a first class stamp. My treat!

Figured I would revive this old-ish thread and say I just fixed my 3rd brake light with this very inexpensive diode! Shipping for them was 3X the cost of the diodes. Haha. Still all in for $10 - If anyone comes across this thread and needs an extra diode, I would be happy to share the love. I bought some extras. Probably the cost of a first class stamp. My treat!
Still have that diode by chance or a link to which ones to buy online and where you can get it? I need to do this, mine is out. Thanks.

Still have that diode by chance or a link to which ones to buy online and where you can get it? I need to do this, mine is out. Thanks.
I just need to find em! I'll confirm in the morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom