Things to do in OBX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Something to look for while you’re there (or just research online, which I’m clearly not doing!). Back in the 80’s growing up in NoVA, you weren’t really cool unless you had a t shirt from Brew Thru, an OBX drive thru beer store. Not that it would have helped ME be cool tho…

You asked for things to do and got a lot of suggestions, I'll add the following.
  • If you find yourself on Hatteras Island, take the family to the UFO House. It's fun. And weird.
  • Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum is worth a visit. It's not large, but you can learn about the lighthouses, the Fresnel lenses, pirates, and shipwrecks. Free, donations encouraged.
  • Soundside sunset kayaking. Many places offer guided excursions all up and down OBX, these are great for families and sunsets over the sounds are pretty dang good.
  • Jockey's Ridge/Wright Brothers Memorial. Aside from acknowledging the greatness of 2 Ohio boyz, the sand dunes are crazy high (and fun) and there are some walking/hiking trails.
  • There's no shortage of wind/watersports, if you want to try any. KHK is a good reference and very reputable, but they are not the only outfit: Outer Banks Adventures and Activities | Kitty Hawk Kites - https://www.kittyhawk.com/adventures/
  • Pick up a 2-line stunt kite. I'm in my 50's and love flying it (and trying tricks): I had my nephews try it this trip and they both went home with their own kites.
Do you have the gear to make days on the beach bearable? A lot of people swear by awnings, but I've seen more packed up due to wind than deployed. We got a Neso Sunshade (Beach Sun Shades and Portable Canopies by Neso Tents - https://www.neso.com/) and it was amazing, it was the first shade we could put up early and not worry about all day. Next investment for me is a CGear Sandmat (ORIGINAL SAND-FREE MAT - https://www.cgear-sandfree.com/products/original-sand-free-mat) as I hate having sand from towels, other mats fill the vehicle, garage, washing machine.

Doing any fishing?

You asked for things to do and got a lot of suggestions, I'll add the following.
  • If you find yourself on Hatteras Island, take the family to the UFO House. It's fun. And weird.
  • Graveyard of the Atlantic Museum is worth a visit. It's not large, but you can learn about the lighthouses, the Fresnel lenses, pirates, and shipwrecks. Free, donations encouraged.
  • Soundside sunset kayaking. Many places offer guided excursions all up and down OBX, these are great for families and sunsets over the sounds are pretty dang good.
  • Jockey's Ridge/Wright Brothers Memorial. Aside from acknowledging the greatness of 2 Ohio boyz, the sand dunes are crazy high (and fun) and there are some walking/hiking trails.
  • There's no shortage of wind/watersports, if you want to try any. KHK is a good reference and very reputable, but they are not the only outfit: Outer Banks Adventures and Activities | Kitty Hawk Kites - https://www.kittyhawk.com/adventures/
  • Pick up a 2-line stunt kite. I'm in my 50's and love flying it (and trying tricks): I had my nephews try it this trip and they both went home with their own kites.
Do you have the gear to make days on the beach bearable? A lot of people swear by awnings, but I've seen more packed up due to wind than deployed. We got a Neso Sunshade (Beach Sun Shades and Portable Canopies by Neso Tents - https://www.neso.com/) and it was amazing, it was the first shade we could put up early and not worry about all day. Next investment for me is a CGear Sandmat (ORIGINAL SAND-FREE MAT - https://www.cgear-sandfree.com/products/original-sand-free-mat) as I hate having sand from towels, other mats fill the vehicle, garage, washing machine.

Doing any fishing?

Thanks Joe - we'll def check out those places. I'm 51 and the kids are 18, 16, and 14 and we're sharing a house with another family with kids of similar age. My oldest son (18 yr old) said he's looking forward to driving the 100 out on the beach and fishing for the day. Only problem is we have no clue how to surfcast - I have a nice reel/rod but it's mostly been used for charter fishing in Nantucket Sound going after Striper. So, any fishing suggestions on gear/bait would be appreciated. Or should we just go on a charter?

I have the ARB2500 awning that I was planning on using - hopefully it's not too windy to deploy? Love the idea of the Kites - will take a look.

Last edited:
Regarding the canopy/awning, know that OBX beaches will regularly see sustained winds of 15-20mph, with higher gusts. On my recent trip, the winds were a bit stronger a few days and I watched several folks on Ramp 55 take down their awnings.

On the fishing, I consider myself a novice and I'm definitely not a gear snob. In short, your striper gear is likely completely sufficient. If you don't have a stake/tube setup to place it in, you can pick one up locally for a few bucks. Charters are a great idea as well, but I suspect you can do fine on the beach.
  • You needn't cast far to catch anything. See this video, she does a great job explaining: Basically if you can cast 50 or 100 feet, you're good - it's where you put the bait that matters (e.g. between sandbars, or the "channels" where waves aren't crashing). To enrich the experience, use sand fleas for bait - locating and catching them is actually fun imho and the fish love them. And they're free. They're little mole crabs, they don't pinch or bite, they're everywhere, and you can harvest them by hand (a cheap rake for the job works well) - my nephews, wife and I had a blast catching them. Simple double-drop bottom rigs work fine, Carlolina rigs are good, or ask a local tackle shop for a River rig with #2 or #4 hooks. You'll need a 3-4oz weight to keep the bait in place. Right now, pompano, bluefish, drum, mullet are very active right off the beach; and some spoons or Gotcha plugs might land you a nice mackerel. There's always sharks around as well (don't sweat it), landing a nice mullet, puppy drum or small blue might wind up with a shark on your line. :) FWIW I have 2 low-end setups, 9 and 10 ft, with spinning reels spooled with 20lb braid. The only thing I've failed to land with these are some rays and skates.

We were in Hatteras recently and nighttime on the beach == as many crabs as you could possibly imagine and more than you could eat.

Along with reading the beach, know how to spot - and react to - rip tides so anyone swimming 1) doesn't get caught in one and 2) knows what to do if they get caught.

The kites are really fun. It takes a few minutes to get the hang of it, then you find yourself trying all sorts of crazy tricks.

My younger nephew flying the kite:
1624062567933.png

We have been to the Corolla/Duck area the last few years and are heading back tomorrow. Here's my two cents...
- read this -> Outer Banks Beach Driving Tips | Driving on the Beach in Corolla - https://www.visitcurrituck.com/visitor-info/beach-driving-tips/
- the best time to drive on the beach is early in the morning or in the evening (after most people have left) during low tide
- there are old tree stumps towards the water near the entrance to Carova beach, so watch out for those
- if you don't see horses on the beach drive back through the roads, they are there somewhere
- go to the original duck donuts
- the historical corolla park area is good place to spend an afternoon, go up in the lighthouse, great views
- rent some kayaks and go explore the sound waters
- we have ridden horses on the beach on Cedar Island, a ferry ride from Ocracoke, you need reservations, that was a great experience

Have fun!

Hello @RND1, Iv grown up on the Outer Banks and all of these suggestions are great! Everyone has basically covered everything but there are a few hidden gems around.

Take a hike or drive threw Nags Head Woods, One of our few maritime forest.

Dare Co mainland, Alligator river wildlife area. Its lots of long dirt roads with a few fun mud pits and if you go early enough you will see the largest black bears you have ever seen. I wouldn't walk to far from the truck out there.

Corolla Beach Driving is cool but you only need a pass if you STOP and enjoy the beach, you can drive up and drive all around without a pass. Thats not the case for Hatteras Island. Be careful of those mud holes in Corova, They are much deeper then you think!! Put my LX450 hood deep threw one and was happy I made it out. You can drive all the beaches on 15-18psi. Don't end up on our local Facebook page (Oregon inlet Idiots) of your truck stuck on the beach. It is also illegal to pull people out of the sand, you can give them a shovel or help dig but don't hook up and pull them.

Hatteras island beach (especially Ramp 27-34) is always very soft and the high tide comes right up to the dune in some spots. Id take caution in that area. As for the roped off bird areas, just don't, don't even look at it or the park rangers will give you a very hefty ticket. I knew a guy this summer that got washed down the beach in a rip only to make to the beach in that area and got himself a ticket for walking threw it.

Don't forget to get yourself an apple ugly at Orange Blossom Bakery in Buxton.

Duck is one of my favorite towns, I used to bartend at the Back Bar at The Blue Point. Its a lovely spot but reservations are definitely recommended. Its the only town you can walk from bar to bar. Duck research pier is cool, take a walk down the beach to that. The roped off area around the pier used to be a bombing range.

Downtown Manteo is a neat little place to walk around also. Its a bit of a drive from Duck but on your way back from Hatters, Its 10 mins out of the way to drive down there.

Most restaurants are gonna be understaffed and already burnt out so be prepared for that. We never really had an off season this year. Its been on, on, on.

There are a couple shipwrecks that you can swim out to from the beach if you'd like to try that one day, Contact the dive shop in Manteo for more info on that, I don't fish with a pole this time of the year but my speargun sees quite a bit of action.

If you have any questions, Shoot me a PM

Thank you to everyone for such great advice! I picked up the Neso Sun Shade and the Viar 300P is supposed to show up today so I'll have shade and air! :D

Heading to OBX at 0400 hours on Saturday. Looking forward to some time off and ocean water that's warmer than 58 deg!

Hey Guys, just wanted to let you know we are lovin' OBX and are having an absolute blast out here. Been out on the beaches of Corolla several times now and heading to Ocracoke towards end of week. Weather has been perfect and 70 deg water is a real treat when we're used to the icy cold waters of Maine.

IMG-9872.jpg

IMG-9878.jpg

IMG-9879.jpg

IMG-9881.jpg

Heading down south today to check out Rodanthe and Frisco, but leavin' the LC home and takin' this for the ride :D

IMG-9899.jpg

Made it Okracoke yesterday - all I can say is WOW. Endless coastline with no crowds. Ocean was like bath water we didn't want to leave. Catching ferry back to Hatteras was quite the adventure with too many vehicles lined up and not enough Ferry service. Was in line for the 8:30pm and didn't get on until the 10:30pm. Made it back to Duck at 2am, but it was all worth it :D

IMG-0026.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom