Things to do in OBX? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heading to Duck, NC for the first time in a couple of weeks to check out OBX. Bringing the Hundy so plan to check out the beaches in Corolla and Okracoke. Any insight on beach driving, or stuff we should do while visiting would be much appreciated. We're staying in Duck for 2 weeks so plan to get a beach permit for Corolla. Not sure how Okracoke works if we just head over for the day? Also, no idea what life is like down there with Covid - are there things we should make reservations for now? TIA.

Oh, and what's the scoop with dogs on the beach? Allowed, not allowed? Before or after certain times?

Last edited:
Grew up out that way and just got back from there last week. Beach driving in Corolla depends on if you want to park...if you're just driving to see horses no permit...if you want to park on the beach and hang out you'll need a permit. If you want to go on the beach in Oregon Inlet or any point south (including Ocracoke) you'll need a a permit from Cape Hatteras National Sea Shore to drive or park. Surf Fishing is better at Oregon Inlet if that's your thing vs Duck due to the inlet and tidal movements. Both are great access spots with air close by assuming you air your tires down.

Duck is great b/c it's far out of the way compared to the rest of OBX which makes it quieter, it also takes forever to get anywhere...I rarely leave Duck unless it's for offshore/inshore fishing and duck hunting. Google Maps will tell you it's 40 minutes down to the Oregon Inlet fishing center anytime of day, that works for 5 a.m. but double it for 5 p.m. and if there's a small accident and/or it's Check Out Time (10 a.m.) forget it.

It's pretty much business as usual post COVID there, restaurants are reopening but like everywhere masks aren't required anywhere but you'll see folks wearing them occasionally in stores. They're having a really hard time finding employees. Typically a good many of the seasonal staff in Duck are non-US citizens on student or similar visas (a large number Russian especially at the HT there), so there are some hiccups with reopening and many restaurants were still closed 2-3 days per week, which is only typical in offseason. Students hadn't yet gotten out of school in VA/NC when I was there, so it may have improved. If you're going to Blue Point or any of the restaurants in Sanderling a reservation is suggested there, down in KDH/Kitty Hawk most everything is first come first serve.

Grew up out that way and just got back from there last week. Beach driving in Corolla depends on if you want to park...if you're just driving to see horses no permit...if you want to park on the beach and hang out you'll need a permit. If you want to go on the beach in Oregon Inlet or any point south (including Ocracoke) you'll need a a permit from Cape Hatteras National Sea Shore to drive or park. Surf Fishing is better at Oregon Inlet if that's your thing vs Duck due to the inlet and tidal movements. Both are great access spots with air close by assuming you air your tires down.

Duck is great b/c it's far out of the way compared to the rest of OBX which makes it quieter, it also takes forever to get anywhere...I rarely leave Duck unless it's for offshore/inshore fishing and duck hunting. Google Maps will tell you it's 40 minutes down to the Oregon Inlet fishing center anytime of day, that works for 5 a.m. but double it for 5 p.m. and if there's a small accident and/or it's Check Out Time (10 a.m.) forget it.

It's pretty much business as usual post COVID there, restaurants are reopening but like everywhere masks aren't required anywhere but you'll see folks wearing them occasionally in stores. They're having a really hard time finding employees. Typically a good many of the seasonal staff in Duck are non-US citizens on student or similar visas (a large number Russian especially at the HT there), so there are some hiccups with reopening and many restaurants were still closed 2-3 days per week, which is only typical in offseason. Students hadn't yet gotten out of school in VA/NC when I was there, so it may have improved. If you're going to Blue Point or any of the restaurants in Sanderling a reservation is suggested there, down in KDH/Kitty Hawk most everything is first come first serve.
This is great information. Are there any options for camping on the beach?

Thanks @MBest75. Good to know that we don't need a permit to drive on beach in Corolla. Never having been there before, is it easy to drive out to the horses or is it luck of the draw if you see anything? Since we're staying on the beach in Duck, not sure we need to park on the beach in Corolla - assuming it's basically the same thing? Do we need to make reservations now for the Ferry to Okracoke or no big deal? Do we need reservations to go horse back riding etc? Thanks for the local insight!

This is great information. Are there any options for camping on the beach?
Oregon Inlet has a campground about 200 yards away from the entrance to beach driving as does Frisco and Cape Hatteras. All are pretty nice considering they're gov't campgrounds. You cannot physically sleep on the beach, to my knowledge in Cape Hatteras National Seashore and def not in Corolla...there are nesting sea turtle populations all along the shore and so I assume it's because of that they don't allow sleeping on the shore.

Thanks @MBest75. Good to know that we don't need a permit to drive on beach in Corolla. Never having been there before, is it easy to drive out to the horses or is it luck of the draw if you see anything? Since we're staying on the beach in Duck, not sure we need to park on the beach in Corolla - assuming it's basically the same thing? Do we need to make reservations now for the Ferry to Okracoke or no big deal? Do we need reservations to go horse back riding etc? Thanks for the local insight!

Usually I've not had a problem finding them; however, I know people who've booked tours and then not seen a single horse, others who literally saw them before getting of NC12. Bad weather they tend to hide out back in the dunes and in the Refuge. Personal experience give them a wide berth they are wild horses and have definitely been known to kick vehicles, break windows and charge people who are doing common sense things wrong such as getting to close to a foal, feeding horses, etc. In the past there was a law about not feeding or being with in 50 feet of them, not sure what the law is these days.

If you're staying on the beach in Duck I wouldn't bother pulling a permit personally the beach is the same thing just with your car parked on it.

I didn't go down to Okracoke this trip and haven't been in probably 10 years or so. At one point during 2020 while I was out there they did not allow non-residents on to Okracoke and you needed to own property to even get into Dare County but that's obviously been relaxed. Okracoke has a passenger express ferry that costs money and a car ferry. No reservations for car ferry but you can wait up to two hours for it on crowded days usually mid weeks in the mornings are bad for tourists, so try and avoid Tuesday - Thursday if your schedule permits.

No personal insight on horse back riding, but if you or others are looking for fishing guide recs Mott Ridge Charters and Salt Minded are two great inshore options. I spent most of my time down there Deep Sea Fishing out of Pirates Cove and Teach's Lair, so I don't go offshore nearly as much as I used to, but Deep Sea it's hard to go wrong with any of the captains out of Oregon Inlet, but Pirates Cove has some good ones too you just have a longer ride.

At Corolla right now and leaving after a week on Friday.
Second all that @MBest75 stated. Drove North from Corolla and saw 31 horses. Didn’t do anything crazy like try to ride, pet or feed the wild horses and had a great time. Like someone said, “ they are wild animals, would you ride a deer?”.
Took the HDJ81 and had no problems at 20 PSI on the beach. Aired up with the compressor after and drove home.
Stayed at a beach house we had scheduled since February so can’t comment on camping.
Traffic at Duck is crazy. Line of traffic North and South that took 60 minutes from Duck to Corolla on Friday. Was better on Tuesday and had no issues the rest of the week. Went out to eat at the mall area called Timbuktu and had great food. Cooked out at home the rest of the time.
Definitely recommend.

Was at OBX over easter and did the beaches at Corolla, Hatteras and Ocracoke. Best beach driving was Ocracoke, by far. Huge expanse of sand, relatively few neighbours, and gradual drop off means still plenty of beach at high tide, so no need to worry about only being able to venture out during low tide.
Note that only beach at Corolla has easily accessible air up stations, the other beaches would require a considerable drive to the closest gas stations, so bring your own air compressor. Airing down is a must, the sand is soft and deep.
I was able to buy my beach permit online and it was checked by a ranger while we were at Hatteras.
Either way, you will have a blast out there, regardless of which beach you choose to venture on. We are fortunate in NC to have this amount of accessibility to the beaches.

Just got back from OBX:
  • The ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke is free and does not require a reservation. On a Saturday, we had to wait about 30 mins to get on. The ride over is now +1 hour due to sandbars from storms.
  • Got to Ocracoke Village and immediately left. It was a zoo, golf carts and bicyclists and pedestrians and vehicles everywhere. If that's your thing, great - but not for us. Had lunch at Howard's (yum!) and went onto Ramp 72 and had a great afternoon out there.
  • You can go on to recreation.gov to get your beach driving permit for Cape Hatteras National Seashore, and print it out (they mail it as well). I don't believe they're doing in-person permits for CHNS.
  • As noted, restaurant schedules are a bit compact at the moment on Hatteras Island. Not sure about Duck area, I'd listen to @MBest75 on that.
  • Dogs are allowed on the beaches, on-leash. There may still be some fenced areas on northern OBX for off-leash. Just know with the sun and temps, the sand will quite likely burn their paws, so be mindful. Also, obviously have a lot of fresh water for them!
  • The new ramps in the Avon area are very nice and had very light traffic while we were there. These are ramps in the low 30's, I don't recall all of the specific numbers.
  • One thing you may like to do: go soundside one day. My nephews were blown away that we could walk about 3/4 mi from the beach into the water before the water got up to our chins. We did this between Avon and Buxton, and had the pleasure of watching parasailing and kiteboarding as well.
Most of all, enjoy it! It truly is a unique area, and even the aggravating circumstances (traffic in the northern part, restaurant quality) are far better than life here in the real world.

Was at OBX over easter and did the beaches at Corolla, Hatteras and Ocracoke. Best beach driving was Ocracoke, by far. Huge expanse of sand, relatively few neighbours, and gradual drop off means still plenty of beach at high tide, so no need to worry about only being able to venture out during low tide.
Note that only beach at Corolla has easily accessible air up stations, the other beaches would require a considerable drive to the closest gas stations, so bring your own air compressor. Airing down is a must, the sand is soft and deep.
I was able to buy my beach permit online and it was checked by a ranger while we were at Hatteras.
Either way, you will have a blast out there, regardless of which beach you choose to venture on. We are fortunate in NC to have this amount of accessibility to the beaches.
Air in Oregon inlet is at the fishing center right by fuel station for the fleet, you can't miss the long line of jeeps waiting there in busy season. There's a tackle shop in Buxton (think it's Dillons?) they used to have air, no guarantees. Hatteras has air at Teach's Lair Marina. I haven't drive off road much in Frisco/Avon.

At Corolla right now and leaving after a week on Friday.
Second all that @MBest75 stated. Drove North from Corolla and saw 31 horses. Didn’t do anything crazy like try to ride, pet or feed the wild horses and had a great time. Like someone said, “ they are wild animals, would you ride a deer?”.
Took the HDJ81 and had no problems at 20 PSI on the beach. Aired up with the compressor after and drove home.
Stayed at a beach house we had scheduled since February so can’t comment on camping.
Traffic at Duck is crazy. Line of traffic North and South that took 60 minutes from Duck to Corolla on Friday. Was better on Tuesday and had no issues the rest of the week. Went out to eat at the mall area called Timbuktu and had great food. Cooked out at home the rest of the time.
Definitely recommend.
Wow - 31 horses. I plan to air down to 20psi as well. Heard traffic in Duck can get bad. We'll be there over the 4th so I'm expecting the worst.

Good to know about the lack of air as I don't have a compressor and don't plan to bring one so we might be skipping the beach driving on Okracoke.

Just got back from OBX:
  • The ferry from Hatteras to Ocracoke is free and does not require a reservation. On a Saturday, we had to wait about 30 mins to get on. The ride over is now +1 hour due to sandbars from storms.
  • Got to Ocracoke Village and immediately left. It was a zoo, golf carts and bicyclists and pedestrians and vehicles everywhere. If that's your thing, great - but not for us. Had lunch at Howard's (yum!) and went onto Ramp 72 and had a great afternoon out there.
  • You can go on to recreation.gov to get your beach driving permit for Cape Hatteras National Seashore, and print it out (they mail it as well). I don't believe they're doing in-person permits for CHNS.
  • As noted, restaurant schedules are a bit compact at the moment on Hatteras Island. Not sure about Duck area, I'd listen to @MBest75 on that.
  • Dogs are allowed on the beaches, on-leash. There may still be some fenced areas on northern OBX for off-leash. Just know with the sun and temps, the sand will quite likely burn their paws, so be mindful. Also, obviously have a lot of fresh water for them!
  • The new ramps in the Avon area are very nice and had very light traffic while we were there. These are ramps in the low 30's, I don't recall all of the specific numbers.
  • One thing you may like to do: go soundside one day. My nephews were blown away that we could walk about 3/4 mi from the beach into the water before the water got up to our chins. We did this between Avon and Buxton, and had the pleasure of watching parasailing and kiteboarding as well.
Most of all, enjoy it! It truly is a unique area, and even the aggravating circumstances (traffic in the northern part, restaurant quality) are far better than life here in the real world.

Thanks Joe - great info especially regarding the dogs. Up here in New England the dogs are only allowed on the beach from Nov. 1 to April 1. Will definitely have to check out the sound side. In Duck it appears to be a short walk to either sound or ocean side.

Good to know about the lack of air as I don't have a compressor and don't plan to bring one so we might be skipping the beach driving on Okracoke.
It’s definitely worth the $80-$120 for a Superflow mv-50 or a comparable Viair compressor if for no other reason than to ride on the beach. Small price to pay to avoid missing what might be a highlight of the trip. Smaller, cheaper, auto store compressors will work, too, but will take forever to do so.

It’s definitely worth the $80-$120 for a Superflow mv-50 or a comparable Viair compressor if for no other reason than to ride on the beach. Small price to pay to avoid missing what might be a highlight of the trip. Smaller, cheaper, auto store compressors will work, too, but will take forever to do so.

I haven't done much homework, but I always thought those cheapie compressors get real hot and take like 15 min/tire to air up a 33" tire? I'd love to have the ARB, but at $600 not worth using a few times. I'm def willing to drop ~$100 to get something for this trip - what do y'all have and recommend?

Used to be free air here - been a few years since we were here, though:

I haven't done much homework, but I always thought those cheapie compressors get real hot and take like 15 min/tire to air up a 33" tire? I'd love to have the ARB, but at $600 not worth using a few times. I'm def willing to drop ~$100 to get something for this trip - what do y'all have and recommend?
this one has been serving me well the past few months and only $150 shipped

I use a SuperFlow MV50. $80 on Amazon.
I have had mine for a few years and it goes from 20-72 psi for my 33" Cooper E rated tires in ~6 minutes. It will get hot, but hasn't gotten so hot it shut off yet. There are other options that may be better, but this has worked well for me so far.

@RND1 the mv50 is not a cheapy POS. It has no problem with 33’s from 15psi to full. Mine lasted about 6 years and frequently did 2-3 trucks in a row without thermaling out. I now have a Viair of similar size and greater cost. It runs more quietly and will probably last far longer. Not sure if the model because the wife’s out in the truck that has it right now. No need for an ARB unless you NEED to have onboard air. The two I mention have alligator clips for the battery connection instead of cig adapter. Run the engine while using it and you’ll be happy with the results.

My Viair is the 300p. $146 on Amazon.

Whichever compressor you get, the hose attachment point at the body will get pretty hot. That’s normal for all compressors.

I use a small bungee to hang it from my sliders when I’m using it in sand or dusty dirt so the intake sucks in cleaner air than the ground has.

I've had the Viair 88P for several years now and it always Just Works. Less than $75. It gets quite warm (but not hot) when airing up my tires, but within a few minutes it cools off enough to plop back into the storage area I have for it. Takes a minute+ to 2 mins to get a tire from 15 to 32. Alligator clips to the battery as well.

Awesome - thanks fellas. Kiddo's been asking what to get me for Father's Day - now I know :D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom