There's a 3rd gen stuck in my driveway (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MrMikeyG

SILVER Star
Threads
We had some dude wake us up last night by ringing our doorbell about 12 different times. I was debating bearing arms, but resisted that urge. When I first looked out the window to see wtf was happening, I see there's a 4runner dead center blocking our driveway. My first thought is how in heck is a 4runner stuck (I've been bombing around in the Tundra, and we've had my wife's Xterra on not really at tires btw) out a few times as well.
Guy seems to not speak English which helps a ton. The gist is that he's trying to ask if it's ok to park near where he is, and I try and communicate that as long as he's not blocking our driveway he can park wherever. He gets back in and proceeds to spin the heck out of passenger rear tire while none of the others move perceptibly. I ask him about 4x4 and he says something about something broken. Fast forward 15 hours, and the damned thing is still out there. I'm not a 4runner guy. I like them, I've ridden in a few, but I've never owned one. How rare is the rear locker on them? I do know where to look, so hopefully there's an easy end to this when the guy shows up again.
Other than rear locker, or me towing the guy up the hill, can you 4runnner folks think of anything obvious to look for? He's sitting on a better AT tire than our Xterra, and has way better tread depth than my Tundra. I feel like this could be some hidden camera type crap waiting for me to blow my top or something. This is the only suv that's been stuck in this location since we got our snow here. People were able to get a 90's Grand Marquis out yesterday for pete's sake.

Is it 4x4?

I was too pissed last night to really look it over. fwiw it is an SR5 trim level. would 4x4 badge be on right rear someplace?

Just look through the window for a t-case shifter. Not all 4x4s/years have badges

will do.

It seems like it's a 2wd model. from my google image searching, the t-case lever is closer to the driver in these correct? Also, the spot where the rear locker switch would be has a clifford alarm thing in it instead.
Certain vehicles having a non 4x4 option has always confused me. CR-V = fine. Ford Escape = fine. 4runner = confusing.

Yeah…to the driver’s side of the tranny shifter. Toyota made Pre-Runner and 2x4 SUVs to give folks the look/utility with lower insurance, better fuel economy and no “real” need for 4x4 in states like Texas.

That dude needs chains and a rear locker…definitely will need to be strapped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom