Therapist needed. Look for lower mileage LX or ride it out? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You need a change, but not the LX. Sell the M5 and get a boat. Lots of good lakes around Lawrence. The LX makes a great tow vehicle. :cheers:

Is your M5 giving you a ton of problems now or in the foreseeable future? Also, is your M5 a manual or automatic?

Personally, for a fun weekend car, I would care more about having a manual V8 that I can drive around in, as it’s really hard to beat that mechanical experience, and something a big SUV (from a physics standpoint) cannot replace.

BMW’s typically have horrendous resale value and having them parked in your garage seems like a waste of money. An American manual V8 will hold their value well since those are going the way of the dodo bird, and relatively inexpensive to get into.

The big point of the cruiser platform is to see how many miles you can drive on these machines. I wouldn’t dump your LX and get a lower mileage one if you have good maintenance history.

I sold an M5 once. Only car I have really regretted selling… I haven’t sold a Land Cruiser since I never want to feel that way.
(Well I did trade an 06 100 for a 200, but I still have my 99 100!

Keep the 200 you have. Unless it has some major defect you don't want to live with, it's going to be 98% of what a new one is - assuming that one doesn't have some unknown unknown buying used.

For the M5, is it appreciating, depreciating, or flat? Sounds like you don't enjoy it enough to really hold onto it. If it's depreciating or flat, sell it.

Otherwise, time is on your side and monies not spent now for no driving reason, should grow in investments which is only going to give you better options going forward.
keep it and sell the M5!
I have a 97 LX450 and HAD a 17 Macan GTS, sold the Macan about 10 months ago with 18k miles on it.
The 450 has 250k miles on it 😎👍

Don’t get me wrong, the Macan was a blast to drive and handled so good. It just spent too much time in the garage.

Mine is a well sorted out 15 Frozen white F10 M5. It pulls like a freight train and it smiles at me every morning in the garage. It must not smile at her.

I think the hardest time I have when trading up is the fact that mine has really nothing wrong with it other than having the miles and the wear associated with 187k.

I am not super in love with the 16+ huge mouth and body that hugs the ground up front but I know more tech comes with that. I like the 13-15 if I'm going to do the swap.

One of the issues is that the 200 has to sleep outside. My other spots are taken.

And it always seems through the years if I don't have a fast car I feel naked. But I don't drive them enough to justify having them sit. Calling Dr. Freud...

To answer a few of your thoughts/Qs- my F10 is depreciating. The new all wheel drive models are bad mofos, but also north of 120k. I got mine a while back at wholesale and owe nothing but tax and insurance. It is really just there to satisfy my need for speed and has 4 doors in case family or friends need to go. I used to get 2 doors, Corvettes, M3- but a fast 4 door was WAY easier to get by the warden. We would take the CTS V cars we had all over the country.

I'm old enough to like the practicality of a 4 door rocket. I guess I just said practical when talking about a 4th car and a BMW at that. Showing my lack of grey matter.

If they are paid off, I’d keep.

But Bluetooth and radar cruise are nice features - speaking from LC; not certain years of LX feature add. Assuming same.

But overall I’d pass. Just not enough difference. Knowing its maintenance history personally is very valuable to me.

You can change the car or the influencer 😁

Oh snap! You think like my Dad... No- I've been with her since the mid 80s. She has been through so many of my car phases without being uncool. That part of my life will not change. Or at least won't be my decision.

I will always have some iteration of the cruiser. My 1st car was a mid 70s 40. I like the 200 enough to say I'll be in one for a long time. Not warmed up to the 300s and the price scares the crap out of me.

Keep what you've got for now. If at any future point you lose interest in the M5, then sell it or trade it for something you want more. Separately, keep rolling in your LX. If/when you ever wear it out/break it/wreck it then get a 20-21 LC. I wouldn't want to give up 2 cool toys just to have a slightly "better" version of one.

I'd also suggest making regular date nights (or whatever) with that M5 to remind you how much you love it.....or not. Doesn't do anyone any good in the garage.

Nah, I wouldn’t sell a frozen F10 M5. That’s probably the best one to have.

sell the M5 now while prices are still high - upgrade to a 13-15 LC/LX which won’t cost much over the price of the 09 and then get another M5 if you still want one in a couple of years when hopefully used prices have come back down by 10-20%.
Or just keep both - but I have a 2013LC and really like this generation over the others in both looks and tech.

Mine is a well sorted out 15 Frozen white F10 M5. It pulls like a freight train and it smiles at me every morning in the garage. It must not smile at her.

I think the hardest time I have when trading up is the fact that mine has really nothing wrong with it other than having the miles and the wear associated with 187k.

I am not super in love with the 16+ huge mouth and body that hugs the ground up front but I know more tech comes with that. I like the 13-15 if I'm going to do the swap.

One of the issues is that the 200 has to sleep outside. My other spots are taken.

And it always seems through the years if I don't have a fast car I feel naked. But I don't drive them enough to justify having them sit. Calling Dr. Freud...

I'm there with you how it's nice to jump into a special fast car sometimes and just...blow off some steam. I have an older 6-speed 911 Turbo with the wick turned up and it's ridiculous fun. But I have to be in the mood and that seems to be less these days. The clutch just started slipping and it wants to munch on a fresh 3rd one. It's easier to jump into the LX to cruise and relax. Wife has a Tesla and in its own way, can scratch the need for speed, as it's an undercover missile in suburbia which might be better for a middle aged guy that should be behaving. The loud exhaust on the 911 can draw raised eyebrows from Karen's even if I'm just trying to take off normally from a light. Long way to say I've recently thought of selling, but it's an appreciating car, so time isn't working against me. My buddy that got his Corvette the same weekend I got my 911 11 yrs ago, just sold his. I've been giving this all some thought...

The M5 would be a different story as a depreciating asset. I think that factor alone would be the big one if you're not regularly using and enjoying it. A 2015 M5 is getting near the knee of the curve and starting to flatten a little. Still could lose $15-20k in value in the next few years. Selling it and moving into a newer 200-series would be cheaper than maintaining the current status quo. Your '09 LX is already at the flat part of the curve and would lose next to nothing in its remaining years, which puts time on your side toward whatever next thing you fancy.

1682185369402.png

1682185609012.png

Thanks guys.

Teck- a 911 is in my future, but not until the boy is out of college- and he hasn't started yet. I know the M is going down like the Hindenburg but the money really isn't the sticking point on that car. I sold some other toys and bought it with cash. She doesn't mind as long as I stay within my play money kitty.

I have the Turner racing exhaust delete kit so it sounds like a kraut nascar. I love it. But I'm a hillbilly like that. And I'm partial Kraut.

I could swing a 13 LX and not sell the M, but then you are razor thin on difference and mileage. It seems like about 8 grand plus my LX to make that jump.

And frozen paint is a huge pain in the ass. No waxing, rubbing, etc. And you get to buy all of the expensive Dr. Beasley flat paint cleaners. It looks cool clean though.

I had a 2015 Singapore Gray F10 M5 that shared space with my 200 series. One of the best garage combos I ever had and miss my m5 dearly. The practicality meant I could use it far more than the Boxster I traded it on.

Thanks guys.

Teck- a 911 is in my future, but not until the boy is out of college- and he hasn't started yet. I know the M is going down like the Hindenburg but the money really isn't the sticking point on that car. I sold some other toys and bought it with cash. She doesn't mind as long as I stay within my play money kitty.

I have the Turner racing exhaust delete kit so it sounds like a kraut nascar. I love it. But I'm a hillbilly like that. And I'm partial Kraut.

I could swing a 13 LX and not sell the M, but then you are razor thin on difference and mileage. It seems like about 8 grand plus my LX to make that jump.

And frozen paint is a huge pain in the ass. No waxing, rubbing, etc. And you get to buy all of the expensive Dr. Beasley flat paint cleaners. It looks cool clean though.

Had to lookup Turner racing exhaust and give her a listen. Sounds mean!

I live close enough to Moab that I'd probably keep your 200, sell the M5, and then build up an older Cruiser to bash into rocks. I've owned fast cars over the years (E46 M3 etc...) and honestly you can only go so fast on public roads without getting in trouble...

187 is still a baby

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom