The Ultimate Vegetable Thread..... (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We were making some killer grilled asparagus this past year with Tastefully Simple's Garlic Garlic seasoning, sea salt, and olive oil.

Hands down my favorite..Next is different varieties of squash cooked the same way and sometimes roasted on the grill..:cool:

my grandfathers recipe...

take yellow squash and green zucchini cut into 1 inch pieces, add olive oil, salt and pepper....grill the mofos until they are soft. Throw them in a bowl and mash them up then add a touch of minced garlic a little bit more salt and half a stick of cream cheese. Stir....

simple and good. We have it for Thanksgiving every year.

Who makes a stainless grilling pan with the holes in the bottom and has sides like 2 or 3" high?

This shallow one we have sucks because the fresh veggies are hard to toss while cooking with out losing them into the fiery abyss.

I have this Weber. Works good.

31ge7435ktlss500.jpg

Amazon.com: Weber Style 32902 Professional-Grade Vegetable Basket: Patio, Lawn & Garden

has anyone tried White Asparagus? When i was in Spain i ate a ton of it...with mayonnaise on it. Very odd...

from what i understand in order to get white asparagus they have someone who keeps covering it with dirt while it is growing.....it grows about an inch a day. I'd research it but i am too lazy....

I've had it before. An old roommate was an organic farmer. He had a greenhouse and a 1/4 acre garden behind our house. You are correct about dirt being piled on it. He showed me the exposed bulb one time and sure enough the shoots were white. They turn green fairly quickly after being exposed to light. I think it's more of a delicacy.

Has anyone had garlic shoots before? They are one of the most amazing vegetables I've ever eaten. It's kind of like eating garlic flavored asparagus. The shoots grow up from the bulb and you can harvest them several weeks before you pull the bulbs out to dry. My roommate grilled some up with butter and they were delicious. He said they serve them at high end restaurants.

Wife made me put in a garden this year. All kinds of yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, and pumpkins to name a few.

By far the best were the yellow squash and zucchinis. Sliced thin, wrapped in aluminum foil on the grill, with butter and salt and pepper. Even just in a fry pan with butter and salt/pepper.

I ate so many I hated them, now missing them again and can't wait for more. :)

Has anyone had garlic shoots before? They are one of the most amazing vegetables I've ever eaten. It's kind of like eating garlic flavored asparagus. The shoots grow up from the bulb and you can harvest them several weeks before you pull the bulbs out to dry. My roommate grilled some up with butter and they were delicious. He said they serve them at high end restaurants.

i've never had those before..

you ever had fiddle ferns? Big thing up in Maine, but you can only get them for three weeks max....

throw olive oil and salt then quickly grill...

Wife made me put in a garden this year. All kinds of yellow squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumbers, and pumpkins to name a few.

By far the best were the yellow squash and zucchinis. Sliced thin, wrapped in aluminum foil on the grill, with butter and salt and pepper. Even just in a fry pan with butter and salt/pepper.

I ate so many I hated them, now missing them again and can't wait for more. :)

i've stopped grilling anything on aluminum foil for two reasons. one it gives it a strange taste and two it's been said that it is linked to Alzheimer's

i've stopped grilling anything on aluminum foil for two reasons. one it gives it a strange taste and two it's been said that it is linked to Alzheimer's
Wait......what was the question?

i've never had those before..

you ever had fiddle ferns? Big thing up in Maine, but you can only get them for three weeks max....

throw olive oil and salt then quickly grill...

I haven't had those. What time of the year are they available?

sorry, i just saw that you grilled using AL foil.....got off track a bit...

carry on....
"Wait......what was the question?"

Jokes about Alzheimers don't bring the funny? I thought you would've caught that one, having lived in ND? :)

Asparagus is yummy.

Sweet potatoes are ok, depending on preparation. Made into french fries, they are super yummy.

I've had french-fried asparagus too. That's good.

Dsc_0095.jpg

But my favorite veggie is the artichoke.

080214_artichoke.jpg

I always liked cauliflower smothered with cheddar too.

exps27890_CFT1191211D57.jpg

Castroville.............

Artichokes kick ass,

Trivia:

In the 1920s, Ciro Terranova "Whitey" (1889-1938), a member of the mafia and known as the "Artichoke King," began his monopoly of the artichoke market by purchasing all the produce shipped to New York from California at $6 a crate. He created a produce company and resold the artichokes at 30 to 40 percent profit. Not only did he terrorize distributors and produce merchants, he even launched an attack on the artichoke fields from Montara to Pescadero, hacking down the plants with machetes in the dead of night. These "artichoke wars" led the Mayor or New York, Fiorello La Guardia, to declare "the sale, display, and possession" of artichokes in New York illegal. Mayor La Guardia publicly admitted that he himself loved the vegetable and after only one week he lifted the ban.

Artichokes, History and Legends of Artichokes, How To Purchase Artichokes, How To Store Artichokes, Artichoke Recipes

has anyone tried White Asparagus? When i was in Spain i ate a ton of it...with mayonnaise on it. Very odd...

from what i understand in order to get white asparagus they have someone who keeps covering it with dirt while it is growing.....it grows about an inch a day. I'd research it but i am too lazy....

If you want amazing White Asparagus, you'll need to go to Paris. No mayo in Paris, but plenty of butter. The asparagus is exceedingly tender (basically melt in your mouth) and is even more seasonal than the regular stuff.

Two of my favorite vegetable preparations:

1. Slice zucchini and squash length wise and marinade them in cheap italian dressing. Grill them. The end.

2. Vegetable casserole:
eggplant
zucchini
tomato
olive oil
butter
seasoned bread crumbs
parmesan cheese

slice eggplant. add salt and pepper and olive oil to it and roast it at 350 until soft (ten-fifteen minutes). slice zucchini and tomato lengthwise. Oil a baking dish. Layer roasted eggplant, raw zucchini, and raw tomato slices vertically from one end of the dish to the other. Add salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese to vegetables, and then cover vegetables in bread crumbs (for best results, moisten bread crumbs in olive oil before hand), put a little bit of oil and butter on the top of the bread crumbs, then cook it in the oven at 350 until everything is cooked through and some of the moisture cooks out. This dish is absolutely amazing, and is perfect with lamb.

No mayo in Paris.

Then I may consider moving there. I detest mayo, even the vegan version. My wife loves it and I cringe when I see someone eating it.

Brussels sprouts. Cut in half, pan sautéed at medium low heat, turned periodically. I use Smart Balance for any kind of frying. Towards the end, add a smidge of balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper. Yum yum.

But, those artichokes are the shiz, I have to agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom