The Ultimate Vegetable Thread..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Then I may consider moving there. I detest mayo, even the vegan version. My wife loves it and I cringe when I see someone eating it.

Brussels sprouts. Cut in half, pan sautéed at medium low heat, turned periodically. I use Smart Balance for any kind of frying. Towards the end, add a smidge of balsamic vinegar and some salt and pepper. Yum yum.

But, those artichokes are the shiz, I have to agree.

How the hell do not like mayo tofu?
I can see your point if it were miracle whip but not mayo.

Two of my favorite vegetable preparations:

1. Slice zucchini and squash length wise and marinade them in cheap italian dressing. Grill them. The end.

2. Vegetable casserole:
eggplant
zucchini
tomato
olive oil
butter
seasoned bread crumbs
parmesan cheese

slice eggplant. add salt and pepper and olive oil to it and roast it at 350 until soft (ten-fifteen minutes). slice zucchini and tomato lengthwise. Oil a baking dish. Layer roasted eggplant, raw zucchini, and raw tomato slices vertically from one end of the dish to the other. Add salt, pepper, and parmesan cheese to vegetables, and then cover vegetables in bread crumbs (for best results, moisten bread crumbs in olive oil before hand), put a little bit of oil and butter on the top of the bread crumbs, then cook it in the oven at 350 until everything is cooked through and some of the moisture cooks out. This dish is absolutely amazing, and is perfect with lamb.

Did anyone else kind of laugh when they saw this post?

As far as vegetables, fried green tomatoes are the best. Garden fresh tomato sandwiches rock. Stir fried and boiled fresh squash and zucchini are also good.

Did anyone else kind of laugh when they saw this post?

As far as vegetables, fried green tomatoes are the best. Garden fresh tomato sandwiches rock. Stir fried and boiled fresh squash and zucchini are also good.

lol... "this dish.." who the fxxx says that....

Whoop Ass Carrot Soufflé

1 lb.carrots, boiled until tender or use 16 oz. canned carrots, drained
1 stick margarine (I use Earth Balance)
1 c. sugar (I use dehydrated cane juice)
3 (happy) eggs
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 Tablespoons flour
1 teaspoon vanilla

Grease a casserole dish. Add everything and blend until uniform. Bake at 350 for 50 minutes.

Then, go to your grandmother's house and smack her in the mouth for not having a recipe like this.
I swear to all that is good and true that this will be a party favorite, no matter the crowd.

It is like sweet potatoes, only better. Try it. It isn't like I am pushing tempeh or seitan or nutritional yeast here...

I'll have to try the bacon fat on vegetables. Have you ever tried it on a fillet? The :princess: used to work at a famous steakhouse in N. Idaho and that was one of their "secrets" they used on their steaks.

Wolf Lodge Steakhouse maybe? Good stuff there!

We got our garden in last year, but didn't get a lot of production because we got started late. This year, I am in charge of the tomatoes and zuchinis! :)

I am posting from :princess:'s iTouch. Typing will have to improve with practice.

Here's a f'ing vegetable:

Creamed Spinach - Recipe derived from the Oak Room recipe in Boston

Boil an enormous amount of fresh spinach (30 servings or so) in water that is heavily salted with kosher salt and flavored with bouillon cubes.

When the spinach is cooked through, but not overcooked, put it in a colander to drain. Place a large bowl on top of the spinach and press as much of the water out of the colander as you can.

While draining/pressing the spinach, saute about a hundred cloves of garlic in a half stick of butter.

Once the garlic is cooked through, dump the spinach back in and toss it in the garlic/butter mixture.

Start adding cream. Stir a lot. Cook it on low.

Add a lot of fresh ground black pepper and a few (five or six maybe) tablespoons of grated parmesan.

Let the spinach and cream simmer on very low for an hour and a half or so. As long as you don't boil the cream or burn the spinach, the longer the better. The water will slowly cook out of the spinach, and you will be left with phenomenal creamed spinach.

Don't try this recipe with frozen spinach. It tastes like s***.

I've eaten in the Oak Room twice this past month for a Saturday Lunch. Bar none, it has to be the best restaurant in town if you'd like peace and quiet. My wife had the steak while I had a Chateubriand sandwhich the first time. Second time, she had a burger and I had the Crab cake. Scrumptious.

Abe and Louis' is around the corner and frankly, is too loud and crazy with either drunk college students and/or maniacal children at lunch time.

Next time I'm at the Oak Room, I'll give the Creamed Spinach a try.

I've eaten in the Oak Room twice this past month for a Saturday Lunch. Bar none, it has to be the best restaurant in town if you'd like peace and quiet. My wife had the steak while I had a Chateubriand sandwhich the first time. Second time, she had a burger and I had the Crab cake. Scrumptious.

Abe and Louis' is around the corner and frankly, is too loud and crazy with either drunk college students and/or maniacal children at lunch time.

Next time I'm at the Oak Room, I'll give the Creamed Spinach a try.

My dad went a couple of weeks ago and said it wasn't on the menu. The head chef there emailed me the recipe a few years back, and the only difference between mine and his is that he bakes his at the end to get a crust on the top of it.

lol..."30 servings of spinach" "100 cloves of garlic"

you feeding a fxxxin Popeye convention down there?

The spinach cooks down waypast what you would think. I did fifteen servings uncooked on sunday, and it was just enough for five people.

And the garlic is however much you want, but use a lot.

My dad went a couple of weeks ago and said it wasn't on the menu. The head chef there emailed me the recipe a few years back, and the only difference between mine and his is that he bakes his at the end to get a crust on the top of it.

I use this for making a crust or searing certain cuts of meat.

MPP_FBCylinder_US_lg.jpg

I absolutely love Okra. I have 40 Okra plants growing in my garden right now so we have been eating Okra almost every day this Summer. I put a tape measure on my tallest plant about a week ago and it was 8'4" and is still growing.

I like it regardless of how it is cooked and we will fry it occasionally, but usually we just cook it in the steamer for about 15 minutes. And yes, we use canning jars for glasses around here. We always have.
Okra.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom