The Ultimate Vegetable Thread..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I like it fried. That's the only way. I tolerate it in vegetable soup.

Has anyone had garlic shoots before? They are one of the most amazing vegetables I've ever eaten. It's kind of like eating garlic flavored asparagus. The shoots grow up from the bulb and you can harvest them several weeks before you pull the bulbs out to dry. My roommate grilled some up with butter and they were delicious. He said they serve them at high end restaurants.

I have never had them before but I was just reading about them recently. They are called Garlic Scapes. I just planted a bunch of Garlic this weekend so if all goes well I'll get to try some of these next Summer. They evidently are fantastic when made into a Pesto.

Snow Peas are another veggie I really like. I planted them for the first time this year. I couldn't believe how well they grew here in Texas.
Snow Peas.JPG

I absolutely love Okra. I have 40 Okra plants growing in my garden right now so we have been eating Okra almost every day this Summer. I put a tape measure on my tallest plant about a week ago and it was 8'4" and is still growing.

I like it regardless of how it is cooked and we will fry it occasionally, but usually we just cook it in the steamer for about 15 minutes. And yes, we use canning jars for glasses around here. We always have.

Try roasting them on the grill, way good.:D

40 plants.:eek: I had about 12 one year and I was getting about 20 pounds a week. Most of it ended up in the compost box.

Snow Peas are another veggie I really like. I planted them for the first time this year. I couldn't believe how well they grew here in Texas.

Mine are getting planted shortly. I like to plant them around the base of tomato and pepper plants. No need to stake them, they climb the other plants and flourish.:idea:

I have never had them before but I was just reading about them recently. They are called Garlic Scapes. I just planted a bunch of Garlic this weekend so if all goes well I'll get to try some of these next Summer. They evidently are fantastic when made into a Pesto.

IMO, the biggest reason for growing garlic and onions is that you get to pinch the greens for several months.:D Garlic greens are the bomb in your eggs and potato salad.:bounce::bounce2: Once planted, you can start pinching greens in 2-3 weeks.

Early fall beets are coming in now, and I just oven-roasted a batch of them.
yum!

Early fall beets are coming in now, and I just oven-roasted a batch of them.
yum!

Rusty_TLC and Mrs. Rusty_TLC loaded me up with beets from their garden along with other wonderful veggies last week.

We love roasted beets. Sliced with just a splash of good balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of Chevre or just diced into a lettuce salad.

Alvaro gave me a recipe a couple years ago I still haven't tried...but I've got a roasted beet left just begging for this: Roasted beet along with freshly made ricotta stuffed ravioli...with a poppy seed butter sauce.

Funny thing about beets: I can't think of any other veggie that conjures up as many wrinkled noses from people! Seems folks either love them or hate them...no in between with beets.

Rusty_TLC and Mrs. Rusty_TLC loaded me up with beets from their garden along with other wonderful veggies last week.

We love roasted beets. Sliced with just a splash of good balsamic vinegar and a sprinkle of Chevre or just diced into a lettuce salad.

Alvaro gave me a recipe a couple years ago I still haven't tried...but I've got a roasted beet left just begging for this: Roasted beet along with freshly made ricotta stuffed ravioli...with a poppy seed butter sauce.

Funny thing about beets: I can't think of any other veggie that conjures up as many wrinkled noses from people! Seems folks either love them or hate them...no in between with beets.

That's because most people have only had canned, pickled beets. Roasted beets are a completely different animal.

That's because most people have only had canned, pickled beets. Roasted beets are a completely different animal.

Fresh beets are a whole different animal no matter how they're cooked. Plus the greens are awesome. Take the greens add some grape tomatoes, garlic and a little lemon pepper and saute in butter, yum.:D

That sounds really good!

totally.
The :princess: is a really picky eater, and she turned about six shades of green when I mentioned beets were on the menu. I convinced her to try one of the fresh-roasted ones, and her first bite was like watching a horse nibble at something it wasn't sure of: lips peeled back from the teeth, in fear that actually touching this thing might hurt. Next thing I know, she's making room for more.

I keep telling her that life's too short to turn your nose up at something you might never have the chance to try again, and I think my rhetoric is paying off. Maybe someday I can get her to eat chicken feet.

Fresh beets are a whole different animal no matter how they're cooked. Plus the greens are awesome. Take the greens add some grape tomatoes, garlic and a little lemon pepper and saute in butter, yum.:D

That sounds really good!

Chioggia beets showed up at Whole Foods in Reno last week. For whatever reason we can easily find them in the greater SF Bay area but the truck ride to Reno must scare them out of the truck :rolleyes:.

Anyway for the beet lovers out there you haven't tasted the best beet unless you've had a roasted Chioggia beet!

I will keep my eyes peeled.
I have a rapport with the produce manager of my local grocery.

I love fresh Fava beans...like asparagus its a passage of springtime. Double shuck, into salted boiling water for a couple minutes then shock 'em in an ice bath. Then use them in fava bean ravioli, into a lettuce salad, mashed with a little ricotta atop toasted Italian bread or just saute'd quick in brown butter for a nice side dish.

Rhone, as usual, was scoping out the counter hoping to catch me sleeping on the job :D

Fava Beans.jpg

Dan, I planted Fava beans this year, not a great crop but not bad for a first attempt.

I didn't realize, until a couple years ago, there are generally two crop seasons for fava beans. For whatever reason this year, so far, has been light on available fava beans whereas 2012 and 2013 there was ample abundance especially during the first/spring season.

As you know they are primarily a cover crop for grape vines...good nitrogen source (ditto for mustard plant).

Once upon a time I dated a lebanese gal...who's aunt made flat out the most fantastic falafels I've eaten...then and since. And she made the mixture from scratch using dried fava beans...wish I had that recipe! But they taste so wonderful green...I'd have a difficult time letting them go to maturity for dried!

Glad to hear you have some planted and getting some to eat!

We got some dried fava beans from Whole Foods, lots or work for not much reward. Based on that experience I think butter beans would make a decent substitute for making falafels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom