The Red Wagon gets some love (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The time has come to show some love to my eldest daughter red wagon. With some help from Aseif007 (providing the excellent donor panels from rust free California), I, her wagon, and the donor panels are all together at CG's shop and it is show time. Here are a couple of pics of progress thus far. I'll updat this as we go along.
downsized_0404111642.jpg
downsized_0420111043.jpg
downsized_0420111044.jpg

Last edited:
Couple mo...gotta get back at it. Hood is down to bare metal and there are the hail dings to deal with.
downsized_0420111044.jpg
downsized_0422111113.jpg
downsized_0421111703.jpg

Looks great!

Wow..that's exactly what I'm looking to do! Does anybody else have rust free panels? I need both sides!

Nick

Floating out hail damage on the hood and where some one tap danced on it...it's all back in primer now and going to block it out today.
0422111645.jpg

Hood blocked out...time to reprime. Hey Brian...do you need some help with you wagon ? or r u still getting after your 40 ? I saw those pics awhile back in the 40 section....that is some serious work. I am on vacation all this week (if u consider working 12 hours a day on my daughters wagon a vacation ???) but I could run up your way some weekend in May and give u a hand. Aren't vacations sposed to be spent on a beach sucking down umbrella drinks or sumthin ?

Well back at it...I think since it's the easter beagle sunday, I'll run over the roof, fenders, doors with 240 on the DA and call it a day. My fat old ass is dragin already....

Here I am showering the guy next to me with sparks...used a section off the upper portion of the qpanel and welded it into the roof. Left side qpanel removed and starting to setion in some good steel interior pieces prior to welding on the qpanel.
downsized_0425111055.jpg
downsized_0426110952.jpg
downsized_0426110951.jpg

last one for now
downsized_0422111113a.jpg

I am certainly glad I haed Asief007 cut the quarter panels with the idea that mo..is better. The trick ...other than having all the right tools especially the special drill tool for drilling out the factory spot welds...is locating said spot welds...sizing up the rust replacemeent sections needed and of course measure twice. Although, it is not the end of the world if you cut short...have metal and welder and grinder. Yesterday was a busy day.
downsized_0426111520.jpg
downsized_0426111519.jpg
downsized_0426111531.jpg

couple mo...
downsized_0426111605a.jpg
downsized_0426111532.jpg
downsized_0426111605.jpg

last ones fo now...
downsized_0426111605a.jpg
downsized_0426111612.jpg
0426111730.jpg

looks like a fun project for sure. where the heck do you find non rusted 60 panels with no rust...!! thats like gold in the northeast. lol.

Here is the post from Aseif007 for the donor rig. There was another one around that timeframe from someone down in Southern California. He was holding out to sell the entire body. https://forum.ih8mud.com/sale-parts/405099-90-fj-62-rear-cab-ca.html Aseif007 had already chopped the top and other bits out.

You don't have to be extremely careful cutting from the donor as long as you get the cuts made with much to spare in terms of being well beyond where u think you'll be needing to section the new panels into the old truck. Below are some pics from where Aseif007 and I agreed to make the cuts. After discussing with Aseif007, I tried to select cut lines that would be easier on his end while giving me plenty of metal. The real cutting and section in bits and pieces..drilling out factory spot welds, panel cutters, air nibbler, and air saw work was done here at CG's as we tore into it.

I may have a decent dogleg left from the left side...I'll post it up if I don't use it. Lastly, the cost of the donor panel was very fair from Aseif007. However, shipping from SF area ultimately to Philly is probably enough that would scare most people away. For me, the red wagon has been part of the family since 1991 when it was :princess: daily driver...and now my eldest daily. So, it was worth it to me.
IMG_0813jts.jpg
jts.jpg

Last edited:
how much of the ps side wheel well do you have left from the donor panel?
right around where the well meets the inner side wall.
the inside shot of your driver's side shows just what i'm looking for.

hijack over.

That looks ALOT easier to weld in, then individual pieces such as inner, outer wheel wells. If by cutting a strait line just past the inner wheel well into the floorboard, I think it would save ALOT of time, rather then drilling out all those spot welds.

On the other hand, probably be easier to buy a Donner rig for 2k? then put my diesel in it?

Here ya go Brian....if you want it be yours.
downsized_0429110838.jpg
0429110839.jpg
0429110841.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom