The prototype looks like crap compared to the concept! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Why is toyota making the prototype look more like a honda then build on the burly concept from 2003? I would buy the FJ Cruiser in a second if it looked like the concept and had the rumored capabilities. Instead it looks more narrow, the bumpers are more bloated, design elements are missing, and that massive tire on the back looks like crap. I hope guys from Toyota read these threads.... Concept... Winches.... Lockers F/R.... 4:1 Low.... Krawlers...manual hubs (still like them)...etc...Please! :D It would be nice if it functioned better than it looks! The concept looks crazy enough... they don't need to start changing things to make it more cartoonish. The prototype is starting to look like a cross between a liberty and an element!
I hope they test this thing out in moab or the rubicon, at least this way they can walk the talk. We've got the buying power to change the shape of the new Cruiser... we just need to make enough noise. Similar to the new M5 that is coming out, BMW neglected the manual in favour of SMGIII..... enough noise from the M5board and we're getting our manuals!

2003 Concept
attachment.php

2005 Prototype
attachment.php

07_fj_cruiser_162.jpg
Toyota-FJCruiser-0012.jpg

Last edited:
Are you serious? Because other then little things like the winch they look the same. They barely touched the body which was my complaint.

Other than wheels, tires, and winch the concept and prototype are almost identical. In fact I don't think I've seen a production vehicle that has made it to production with so few changes.

Look at the top of the windshield in each. To me, this makes a big impact on the overall look.

I was guessing they'd move the mirrors from high up on the concept A-pillar and change their overall structure. The concept mirrors didn't look like they'd fold flat and would be easily wacked by a tree. Surely no one expected them to keep those hand cut concept tires. I also wish they'd do something about how the rear tail lights that stick out so far....not good for off road.

TexomaFJ40 said:
Same poop, different animal.

Warning: Rant

Ya know, if you can't come up with something interesting to say don't bother. Things like "same poop" have already been said multiple times. If you don't like it tell us why. Sorry, just getting tired of the lame ass comments.

Jason

Even the production prototype is still pretty far from full production. Check out the rear end. The concept vehicle has a pop up rear glass with a fold down tailgate or clam shell rear hatch, with the license plate holder on the D.S. of the rear hatch.

Now that the spare is mounted to the hatch instead of a swing out arm, the prototype team placed a hinge on the D.S. of the hatch. First, there is not handle on the rear hatch, there is no license plate holder, and there is no way that the rear glass is going to pop up with that spare tire in place.

So how does one open the rear hatch? Does the bottom half open without the top half moving? There is still plenty of work in my opinion.

And what is with the light on the rear view mirros. That started off as a spot light on the concept vehicle, now it is a little lamp, amber in color it looks. Is it a turn signal now??

madams557 said:
Even the production prototype is still pretty far from full production. Check out the rear end. The concept vehicle has a pop up rear glass with a fold down tailgate or clam shell rear hatch, with the license plate holder on the D.S. of the rear hatch.

Now that the spare is mounted to the hatch instead of a swing out arm, the prototype team placed a hinge on the D.S. of the hatch. First, there is not handle on the rear hatch, there is no license plate holder, and there is no way that the rear glass is going to pop up with that spare tire in place.

So how does one open the rear hatch? Does the bottom half open without the top half moving? There is still plenty of work in my opinion.

I agree, the rear (at least the spare mounting) is not done yet, IIRC the press release says it will have a full size spare (doesn't say where it will be mounted), it also says it will have a two part rear hatch/tailgate. It doesn't look like those will work together the way the spare is mounted on the prototype.

And what is with the light on the rear view mirros. That started off as a spot light on the concept vehicle, now it is a little lamp, amber in color it looks. Is it a turn signal now??
The press release calls them "image" lights IIRC, looks like turn signals if you ask me.

From discussion in other threads - the rear would likely swing open (hinged on the side). IIRC, having it open in this way allows them to call it a 3-door which is advantageous for import duties.

Agreed - spotlights on the mirrors would be way cooler than turn signals.

The roof NEEDS to be at least as tall as the production version pictured. If you notice, the lower roofed concept has a section of glass wrapped over the top. If not, it would be impossible to see any traffic lights or road signs close by, etc.

The production roof looks pretty incredible if they keep it like that. Just look at the H3 windshield to see how compromised the design can turn out on a mid-size package.

clemson55 said:
Are you serious? Because other then little things like the winch they look the same. They barely touched the body which was my complaint.

I agree with you. The 2 are so similar it is shocking. I have hardly ever seen a concept make it to production and still be so similar to the original.

Another thing I remember reading on the concept vehicle was the design about the rear passenger seats folding flat, creating a surface for two people in sleeping bags. Throughing that full size spare inside will kill that idea.

MoJ - The import duties is an interesting statement. Toyota would not be concerned with import duties if the FJC is built in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico, all exempt from import duites under NAFTA.

Gives me a little hope that this thing WILL be built in Japan, though I did just read an article the other day about Toyota's new Tacoma plant opening in Mexico.

Speaking of concepts making it to production practically untouched - let us not forget about the Pontiac Aztek....sometimes it is best to make little changes to concepts before bringing them to market.

Aseif007 said:
When I called Toyota of NA they said that they spent the last 2 years desiging the interior. I'm glad they care so much about the inside.
As I'm sure you are aware they probably have several teams designing the vehicle. If they have two years to design a vehicle they probably spent two years designing the interior, two years designing the exterior, two years figuring out how to position it in the marketplace, two years integrating the interior and exterior, two years integrating the body with the drivetrain, two years pimping it as a concept vehicle at autoshows, two years..... All those "two years" served concurrently.

madams557 said:
MoJ - The import duties is an interesting statement. Toyota would not be concerned with import duties if the FJC is built in the U.S., Canada, or Mexico, all exempt from import duites under NAFTA.

That was my hope but of course it may just be to accomodate the rear mounted spare.

Ground Clearence......

ahh.... i forgot to mention....... i really do hope they give it good clearence and the ability to stuff the wheels without scrapping the wells. At least the concept noted there will be long travel suspension. If it doens't have wheel stuffing ability, hopefully it'll have good droop! Maybe even a S/A up front as an option!

I lost all interest in the vehicle when it showed up with IFS. I would not own one regardless of the rest of the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom