The Nomad 1994 80 Project Car (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

is it vibrations at speed?
Its the sand, I experienced 2 distinct types so far. Small dunes much like very small waves the car's suspension has little time to travel so its just a series of small bumps creates vibration like effect. The 2nd is sand with gravel that sinks small stones create a very bumpy ride.
We do slow down or take them at angles but in general the car's suspension is tested greatly and a lot of times its very rapid shaking.

And to answer your question it does at 100 - 120 KM i think I lost some wheel weights XD I will have to replace tyres soon that part will be address with new tires.

Small clip I made of the desert trip in Fayoum, its my First video editing as well.

My 2nd video from my Go-Pro Camera video.

So took a plunge and enrolled in Rally school. Figured it would help improve my non existent off road skills.
What transpired was 2 days of utterly difficult trail!
Rock climbing, dunes, soft sand, hard sand and quite a lot tricks and challenges!

I pushed the car extremly hard (and aside from being an utter noob and trying to take a very tough climb with almost 30 psi on my tires, apparently I was left to learn the hard way ..... ) and I started to get a feel of just how fantastic the 80 and how it was designed for such off-roading conditions. Even one that still needs a lot of work and was not well maintained.

I have a lot of pics and videos that is truly great, once I do some attending will post them but its just a fantastic experience.

First thing on my todo is to go back to AWD, hate having to engage central diff so 4x4 is engaged.

20230120_103857.jpg

20230120_103906.jpg

IMG_1296.JPG

IMG_1319.JPG

IMG_1320.JPG

Couldn't find proper shovel mounts, needed space for camping wood so i did this fugly abomination to free some space.

I'm slowly figuring out what trully need and will adapt accordingly.

I will move the roof rack backwards so i can fit a bigger solar panel.

IMG-20230125-WA0015.jpeg
IMG-20230125-WA0013.jpeg

An amazing trip with some off-roading legends in Egypt (including an X Dakar rally driver) in Rally School.
Much to learn from every one with years of experience under their belts.

Some of the GoPro footage, have much more (enjoying the process of making videos XD)

Extremly beautiful terrain and dunes.

Last edited:
Changed tires and reduced size due to scarcity from 285/75/R16 to 275/70/R16.

I will lose a little traction on sand and a little clearance for more civility while traveling.

The old tires where getting stiff due to age along with very loud noise and low traction.

tire vs 1.jpg
tire vs 2.jpg

I couldn't engage my 4 low on the last trip, upon inspection the arm holding the transfer case bolt came loose.
Got it sorted and tightened (with out brining down the whole thing thankfully!) and re-fitted my serviced winch (which i did myself).

Hopefully it doesn't blow up in my face, now i just need to pull the wire properly so its nice and tight on the drum after I re-attach all the wiring.

Extremely challenging dunning for our last Rally school trip. What an amazing experience! Needless to say the collective knowledge of veterns including Dacar driver and rally pilots was invaluable.

Trully the more you know, the more one learns of his ignorance.

The 80 series is trully unqiue, one thing to read about it but experiencing it is something else.
Had great recovery experience, being recovered and doing recovery myself.

After 2 days of heavy testing the following issues came up:
  • Shocks are in bad condition and must all be changed, the old man emu are soft and failed to absorb bumps meaning excessive vibration and inability to cope with some of the tough conditions. I will replace them with Amada extreme a more budget friendly option as old man emus are far too expensive now.
  • The fuel buring is too rich, might be spark plugs or sensors.
  • I have a slight issue with idle, feels like a small drop then engine gets back to normal. Had instances where rpm was idling at 400.
  • The hubs are worn i had slipage when turning, im replacing them as well as transfer case to AWD as it was originally.
  • Wil change master brake cylinder, the one i have ia too warn (the cylinder has been warn internally, so even repair kit means im losing some of the boast.

IMG-20230205-WA0067(1).jpg

IMG-20230205-WA0069(1).jpg

IMG-20230205-WA0068(1).jpg

Beautiful weather and amazing scenery
20230204_135610.jpg
20230204_135607.jpg
20230204_135604.jpg
20230204_135559.jpg
20230203_164453.jpg

Too much work made me lose a lot of off-roading opportunities this year :( and with temperatures rising it will be difficult to go on long trails.
On the bright side, this means I get the chance to take the Nomad and repaint / fix the body.

I got 4 donner doors to replace the ones I have (rust, weld and lots of filler in my current ones) I also got the frame holding the whole front part together.

The plan is to fit the 4 doors and the frame align everything properly, removal of all interior, rust repair, sorting out cables / electricity then repainting inside and out.

In the mean time installed stereo with 6 speakers to replace the old ones, hey we cant work with out music now can we ?

20230401_151033.jpg

Will do a proper clean as well when i take the dash off, its a mess

So lota has happened and unfortunately i had a major issue in the car. I will be returning the car to its previous owner.
I would rather not disclose reasons but feel free to PM.

Once that happenes i will begin searching for a new rig.

Its been such a learning experience so will stop updating this thread and will start a new one once i find a suitable rig.

Thanks all for wonderful help !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom