Builds The never-ending build: My 80 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So I have mentioned earlier that I was having problems with the 863 springs not being heavy enough for all the weight I have out back now. I had added the air bags in them and that def helped.

Long story short I acquired some new 864 springs. These things are STIFF! Wow. Same free standing height as 863s but raised the truck an inch. I had to take the 1 inch spacers out (which I liked). I also removed the air bags. So far this seems to be a sweet spot for my rig.

0539968B-207F-40CC-B0F4-AB6DC6D51F4D.jpeg
0B8F98D5-94B9-452C-AEF3-D86248DEA7A8.jpeg

Only problem now is that I have the back pretty stiff and the front is opened up with the three link and softer springs on the coilovers. I plan to add a sway bar on the front which I think will help a lot.

Also I think the shocks are not valved stiff enough. Unfortunately I will have to wait a while before spending the money and time to do that. Not looking forward to do that since I feel that it should have been closer from the start. Oh well it is what it is.

Still works pretty great right now.

BEC2B8E0-2919-4430-AC48-726D0359249B.jpeg
69A7623D-FE8A-4AB1-8781-81402835BF57.jpeg
A086CC6F-8435-45BD-B370-7069EC495E46.jpeg

So I got to use the trailer again! Went with some friends to Stokesville campground to do some biking. A few buddies brought their kids and we had a blast! Weather was amazing!

FFBE245D-1E43-4CED-B6B3-3018EDD19425.jpeg
B1373FC9-5BB9-4381-9EED-A24234B3CB83.jpeg

We camped for two nights and had a lot of fun.

6080D55B-6775-4D9D-89F9-7D6971FCFED7.jpeg

That Sunday on the “long” way home we took the scenic route up fire road 95. Was a nice ride through the woods. We ended up at reddish knob just in time to catch an absolutely beautiful sunset.

597C3D59-BE13-4E5C-AFE1-13B38492A4B8.jpeg
1E0401E3-DC26-4DA0-96DB-D052E654803C.jpeg

Nice pictures, Glad you getting to use that sweet Reg.
The Trailer looks like it's begging for some 4DS ;)

I helped a friend a few weeks ago install a lift on his lx470. He bought an OME medium lift for it. Torsion bars, rear coils, and shocks all the way around. Deleted the AHC. What a great looking truck. I have loved having the opportunity to help him with this build.

E54ED62A-A535-4CB1-99BF-55F81961F53E.jpeg
30FF6078-2130-4FF2-83F3-6A43AD03759A.jpeg

BA741BEA-1B35-4772-A67A-E38D69F8C335.jpeg

We took a trip to the woods to test out the new suspension.

953A775B-D9F6-44A8-8932-4727630FB03D.jpeg
F266131E-3A7E-4650-A016-A22C74C03C93.jpeg

Awesome work!! I'm halfway done with linking my front. Forgive me if I missed it in the reading, but what did you do with the front steering? Did you just flip the radius arms? RHD arm? I'm figuring that out on my own build, I just wanna make sure my ackerman angle isn't too screwed up and I can still daily my 80.

Awesome work!! I'm halfway done with linking my front. Forgive me if I missed it in the reading, but what did you do with the front steering? Did you just flip the radius arms? RHD arm? I'm figuring that out on my own build, I just wanna make sure my ackerman angle isn't too screwed up and I can still daily my 80.
Yeah I used a right hand drive arm on the driver side then cut the backs off of both sides. Then used a one ton tre kit from ruff stuff specialties.

At some point I’d like to do hellfire knuckles and beef up the steering even more but with budget and time restraints during the build I just went with what I could.

I also plan to do hydro assist at some point this year.

Let me know if you have any more questions I’m glad to share with you what I found and what I’ve done. And what I’d do differently if I had to do it again. Haha

Oh I meant steering link not radius arm in my original response, but seems you figured I meant that haha.
Have the road manners been pretty good? I’m about to tack on my brackets, the calculator says I’ll have about 2.5 degrees of roll axis oversteer which I think I’m ok with. I’m shooting for about 125% anti-dive in the front at first, then will adjust if necessary.
Last question: what spring rates did you end up running? I have a 350 lb 16 inch primary and a 200 lb 14 inch secondary. Ok shooting for about 4 inches above stock, and then chopping whatever body panels the tire hits when the suspension articulates.

Oh I meant steering link not radius arm in my original response, but seems you figured I meant that haha.
Have the road manners been pretty good? I’m about to tack on my brackets, the calculator says I’ll have about 2.5 degrees of roll axis oversteer which I think I’m ok with. I’m shooting for about 125% anti-dive in the front at first, then will adjust if necessary.
Last question: what spring rates did you end up running? I have a 350 lb 16 inch primary and a 200 lb 14 inch secondary. Ok shooting for about 4 inches above stock, and then chopping whatever body panels the tire hits when the suspension articulates.
Road manners are decent. I find that to be all relative. Some friends think it’s great. Other friends think they are going to fall out the window when I turn. I have driven nothing but custom rigs all my life so maybe I’m just used to it but I feel that it’s totally manageable. Not dangerous. I have a friend that just bought a JL Jeep and he drove up and thought it handled just as good or better than his Jeep. Haha. I plan to do an anti rock sway bar soon. I believe it will help more off-road than on road but will be nice for both.

As far as spring rates I tried so many. Ended up with 250lb over 300lb. Both 14 inch springs so I think your springs should be pretty much on point. I’m about 5 inches above stock in the front. Running 4 inch spring in the rear. Heavies in the rear because of the swing out and tailgate storage. I understand why people start shedding weight off off the back once they three link. It used to be the rest did all of the work. Now the front does all of the flexing. 😂 I’m a year in and I still feel like I’m in the “test and tune” stage. Forever project. Ha

Yeah I used a right hand drive arm on the driver side then cut the backs off of both sides. Then used a one ton tre kit from ruff stuff specialties.

At some point I’d like to do hellfire knuckles and beef up the steering even more but with budget and time restraints during the build I just went with what I could.

I also plan to do hydro assist at some point this year.

Let me know if you have any more questions I’m glad to share with you what I found and what I’ve done. And what I’d do differently if I had to do it again. Haha
Front Range off road has offerings now for high street that personal I like better the the Hellfires. The steering arms are keyed to the knuckles, it a pretty sweet setup.
The cost is about the same through so not cheap. On the plus side they are currently available, unlike the hellfires.

Front Range off road has offerings now for high street that personal I like better the the Hellfires. The steering arms are keyed to the knuckles, it a pretty sweet setup.
The cost is about the same through so not cheap. On the plus side they are currently available, unlike the hellfires.
Nice! Hopefully I will not have to do anything for a while. Still trying to recover from this build. 😂 and I plan to do more range gears, (maybe high range gears) hydro assist steering, and paint the entire truck this year. Very optimistic but I can dream can't I. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom