The most stubborn Pitman Arm! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have tried everything you guys have advised to get this thing off. I used penatrating lube, liquid wrench followed by heating with a torch and more lube and many waks with the hammer. I also tried all of this with a pitman puller and stripped the threads on one rental puller and my Dad broke a borrowed puller. If anyone has anymore advise it would be greatly appreciated! My steering gearbox seal is shot and I need to get this arm off! Thanks.

Just try taking a 2# or so hammer, place it against the back side of the arm the ball joint is in, at the joint. Then on the opposing side, strike it smartly with another hammer several times. I have done this and I don't know if THIS is what did it or just a combo of, heat, pry, PB Blaster, etc. but the %$#!**&^ thing came apart.
P.S. You don't have to kill it. Start slow, and wear safety glasses.

I've had good luck with a penetrating oil and pitman puller, and BFH. Use a chain vicegrip around the pitman puller to ensure the arms do not spread. Get some good pressure on the arm with the puller, let the penetrating oil work while tapping the arm to work the oil into the grooves. Took a little patience, but the last one I did popped off, to heat, no muss, no fuss. But then, maybe I got lucky!

gb

It is hard to get good access with the hammers, but, take 2 decent sized hammers to it, wacking it simultaneously on two opposite sides. This breaks the taper and allows it to fall out. Works every time for me.

If you are lucky enough to get it off - use antiseize compound
on the splines when you reassemble it. That way it will come off
easily the next time (and there's always a next time!)

Works well enough I got my broken one off without a puller
on the Rubicon last summer, just tapped it with a hammer and used some downward pressure.

I agree with LandCruiser's post, smack it with hammers on the side. I had exactly the same problem, broke my puller, bent spanners, pulverized thumbs :cry: , till someone told me of this side trick. Popped off on the 3rd blow. It now has copperslip on it. This also works like a dream for the tie-rod ends.

Might need to use MAPP gas if you are not already. Twice as hot as Propane.

I had a similar problem with a tie rod end. 30 seconds on the mapp and a 16# sledge. thats a BFH.

Hey guys I got the damn thing off! Thanks for the input. I went out and bought a 7 ton puller from sears.  I also sprayed liquid wrench on the splines for a couple days followed by hammering.  I had to push on the wrench with my foot using my leg muscles and a lot of grimacing but it finally pulled off.  Now I just need to figure out how to replace the seal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom