The Lexus (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CEL came on not too long after booking battery back up. Runs like a dumpster fire. I know complaining about cars is somewhat dumb but seriously I don’t have time or money to deal with this vehicle right now

Saw his today. So does that mean Bernie will give me a Tesla too or...?

691C1957-C503-4884-B773-43D80FE89660.jpeg

Well. Knock sensors were bad. My theory is that due to both cats sequentially going bad, the influx of fuel caused so much pining it wore the sensors out. Is this a stupid thought process?

What was more dramatic was when I brought my 2020 rav4 loaner back to Miller Toyota. Well to start off they called me on my way to work last Monday and said that since the ticket was closed out, they closed out the loaner as well, so they didn't have insurance on it and could I please bring it back? I figured sure, why not.

Mind you were/are in the middle of a move and I had happened to move my shovels, etc the day before. The loaner had the heavy duty rubber matting throughout so I knew it could be cleaned pretty easily.

Get there and pull in, go to get key & talk to service adviser.

Come out and the valet/porter/whatever he is called (hereby referenced to as "mr. clean") is spazzing out due to the dirt.
"This is a problem, there are scratches everywhere, did you get all this dirt in here? ::takes my gloves out of the back and tosses them on the ground::"

I. was. pissed. Told him that the vehicle was not cleaned because I was called to bring it in early.

"Well that's management, you have to help clean this". Yeah no, I went straight to the service adviser and said your guy out there is giving me a hard time. He started apologizing and beelining it to the bay, where mr. clean was on his phone with manager blah blah blah.

I wouldn't have been so mad if I hadn't been treated dismissively by mr. clean when I started telling him it is not very hard to clean, simply needs a vigorous wiping.
He also decided to see if it was cleanable before I left so he was in the back power washing it, while a line of cars is forming in the bay (no matter where you go in Manassas, traffic will always accumulate).

In the mean time I am getting my things out of the car and moving them to the Lexus, which the service adviser pulled up for me, only after the whole mr. clean fiasco started (noone told me where it was, only the parking spot #, like I'm going to know that).

As I finish moving things into my car & admire the nice procession which is now forming in the bay due to the aforementioned actions of mr. clean and the loaner, he comes over and starts apologizing and informs me that in fact there are no scratches (duh), and he only acted that way because someone brought a highlander in once that had been used to move heavy objects and caused $1,200 of damage.
Cool story bro.
I later realized that even if that was the case here, what was paid for repairs surpassed that damage cost, sadly I didn't think of this until a few hours later.

I told him that just because other people that come in here don't know anything about cars doesn't mean I don't, and the vehicle was only brought in due to being in the middle of a move with 2 toddlers and a pregnant wife.

Shouldn't have had to give an explanation in the first place.

Anyways, after driving the Lexus another 200 miles since the repair, the ABS and VSC lights flashed on once, but no CEL so I call it a win.

If you've read this far, thanks & Epstein didn't kill himself.

My father will be selling the Lexus in the next few weeks.

To summarize all have been done in the last year:
-Both cat converters have been replaced
-Exhaust manifold has been replaced (contains 1 of the CCs)
-Knock sensors have been replaced
-Cooper tires were put on last summer, so maybe 10k miles if that on them?
-Ignition coils and plugs have been done
-I put on a starter and alternator, both from Vatozone
-Valve cover gaskets have been done

So as not to clutter with new threads, i've decided to resurrect this one.

I'm here to see what input the collective has- I am starting hte process of looking for a replacement for my daily driver and back up family car. I have a 2010 fusion sport but it is a Ford with 143k on it and 1 seat short- need a third row as we're expecting #4.
Looking to keep my mpg around the same if possible, which is around 18-22.
While I want to stay Toyota, the 2nd gen highlander is too small for our needs. Vehicles i'm considering are:
second gen MDX
JX35/QX60
first gen Q7.

Do you any of you significant experience with these? Want this to be a cash purchase so newer cars aren't in the offing unfortunately.

edited for formatting and wording, COVID brain is real.

MDX's have transmission issues after about 110K on the clock.
I've been reading up and it seems like a mixed bag- 2nd gens are affected if they weren't diligently maintained. Some have reported 200k+ on original trans, so that's why I haven't ruled them out yet.

I should also add i'm looking at 2nd gen pilots as well

I've been reading up and it seems like a mixed bag- 2nd gens are affected if they weren't diligently maintained. Some have reported 200k+ on original trans, so that's why I haven't ruled them out yet.

I should also add i'm looking at 2nd gen pilots as well
It was bought new at Chantilly Lexus and diligently maintained by them until he sold it at 120,000 miles the service advisor quietly admitted that they have issues with the solenoids wearing out prematurely no matter what.

I had a qx60 as a rental car a while ago and it was literally always in the wrong gear. All it did was constantly shift up and down for no reason. That was probably top 3 for the worst vehicle I have ever driven in my life and it was basically brand new. 4600 miles

Buy a sienna or odyssey with a v6 and let'r eat!
Also are Sequoia out of budget?

Not so much but MPGs are a bit lower than i'd like. I'm trying to have our primary family car and my DD offset hte cruiser mileage.

Although…a second gen sequoia with the 4.6 and 2wd may be able to hit 20/21 highway. That with 2nd row captains chairs would be fantastic.

I’ll throw another contender into the ring- a 4th gen 4runner with a third row, if I can find one

The best I have ever gotten highway in my GX470 (basically a V8 4th gen 4runner) was 18mpg at 60mph before any mods. You might get another 1 mpg out of a 4runner because it has a 2wd t-case rather than full time 4wd in the GX. Realistically though, at 70mph you're getting 16-18mpg in the 4runner and at 80 you're getting 14-16. Even a 2021 V6 4runner is rated at 16/19mpg so a sequoia is the same or 1mpg worse with a lot more space. A minivan makes a lot of sense if all you want is good mpg on road and to get from A-B comfortably. My parents old odyssey got 26mpg highway at 80 and 18 city in the real world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom