The good ideas thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This looks rather interesting...

http://www.rescuemeballoon.org/

Very cool! I think that with a price point of $30-40 it would be worth it. Their estimate of $75 each is stretching it. Considering that this doesn't guarantee you will be rescued. It very much depends on someone actually seeing it, recognizing it and then doing something about it. There are many applications for this but at a more affordable cost I would think. Groups of scouts camping, or families with kids could hand them out for safety reasons if the members are going on a hike somewhere. In BC we would be a bit more limited with this in the bush, between the vast sections of land that rarely see people, tall trees, mountains and valleys, this could end up being a hit/miss rescue tool. I think I would keep one or two in the vehicle as a backup or to hand out to a group that's going hiking for the day but I would still keep my SPOT for when I really need help.

Reality is, if someone is actually looking for you - they'll see the balloon. And no subscription. But I think
you are still SPOT on. Ok, no more puns this year.

Or until some yahoo thinks it's a UFO and blasts it with his shotgun

Hey CC members...don't forget to sign up asap for the Xmas party menu choice!
XmasPartyGirl2.JPG

so just picked up some supper dupper winter boots. lookes like they have crushed glass in the soles for traction on ice. probably a good idea.

Don't want this thread to disappear, so without further ado:

Well, the diesel Dodge was deader then a door nail due to user error. (I did not volt meter before, but after running for 4-5 minutes then sitting for a minute or two it read 11.3 and 11.4 on the two batteries. Before the jump...nothing was working. So I put one of the Anti Grav units on the left battery (it had been sitting for well over 6 months but showed full charge) and tried to start. Cranked a few revolutions then click click click. Waited a minute and tried it again...same result. It now showed three bars.

Left it hooked up and put one of these on the other battery: http://www.batterymart.com/p-al-jp16-mini-multi-function-jump-starter.html The AL-JP16 had been plugged in for months. With both hooked up it cranked a few times and started. I wonder if the plugged in till used one would have done it on its own.

I've got both batteries on smart chargers now to see if they come back.

Thought a little real world experience might help.

gb

Last edited:
I was in Home Depot this morning and picked up some 'must have' camping/household goodies.

Two Pocket knives with pocket clips -the SS handle one is a heavy and bulky - maybe good for the shop, but the Nylon handle one is lighter and I think more usable to carry for camping - one hand opening style ($12.47 for two)

Two LED flashlites -500 lumens- uses 6x AA batteries (9 vdc) available at Costco - Aluminum case with O rings - high, low and flashing settings ($24.97 for two).

Maybe good stocking stuffers too.

P1000817.JPG

P1000819.JPG

ALL -

I have an idea but don't have a clue where to start...
Has anyone ever installed a water pump/filtration system on an FZJ80? Not an engine water pump but one for comfort (cooking, bathing, etc.). Basically something like an RV system where you could either hook up to a municipal water system with pressure or draw directly from a stream or lake or link in to a carried reservoir. But ideally no reservoir required on board your rig. Of course you would need an inline reverse osmosis or other type of filtration system. I've been looking at ideas on RV websites but would like to hear if anyone has done this on a TLC.

Thanks!

JB

Yeah. I guess like that but more for drinking water. One could also use it for a shower if there was a heating element. I guess Im thinking of something like a garden hose attachment that could also be filtered for drinking. Should be battery or solar run. Thinking that it could be mounted in the passenger side rear body panel cavity.

hmm, looks like I got rid of the shower install on my signature. Basically had a heat exchanger, heated by engine coolant running through it and a 12V suction/bilge pump. All you would need to do is add a filter. RV places should have something. Of course if you're taking water out of a dirty creek then you would likely need a water purifying filter along the lines of what is used for hiking.

One thing to remember, use a proper white hose for drinking water from an RV place.
No sense filtering water if you're just going to poison yourself at the same time

^ You mean we can't drink from garden hoses anymore??? ;)

Here's a thread with some great info. Not quite what you are looking for though, but there are links to potable safe plumbing: Water Purification System I have most of the stuff needed to build it, just need to put it all together.

With what you are talking about I would consider two filters, so the larger boulder filterer takes the brunt if dropped into a stream to get water. You would also have to consider length of hose, elevation and how much lift (and efficiency) your pump would need in most situations, as when you are off grid and away from supplied water you will have to get it from where it's at to where you're at.

As mentioned, RV stores, marine stores etc...would be a good place to start.

Some link to mine for info and perhaps muddy the water a bit:

Helton Hot Water heat Exchanger install.
Water Can Spigot Solution
Worst Mods - what was yours?
Bottled water vs. hose water

I would think the Expo Portal would have some good info as well.

hth's
gb

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom