The FJ40 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I may have located a tailgate! That's the good news... the bad news is I can't my doors apart to refurb them. I've searched tons of threads but the tops won't come out. They are old style doors and something is hanging them up. I've removed every screw and the regulator and those mf'ers still won't come out. So I guess I'm gonna post in 40 tech and get blasted unless someone knows a trick.

I have tailgate hardware on the way. Now I'm tackling the doors and it's a PITA. I have one apart and sanding and cleaning and its slow and hard. I'm probably going to get both blasted and rattle can them. POR 15 the rust on the bottoms and let them rock. All that dirt was in the bottom of one of them. Rust trap anyone?

1445306066413.jpg

I have a tailgate now and the hardware. In retrospect, looking at what I got, I only saved about $150 over a real steel one and mine has some pinhole rust at the bottom. Oh well, tis life. Overall I'm pleased with it. I'm using some filler primer to fill in the little bit of pitting and where the epoxy paint was uneven. Considering its off a 1960s cruiser, I'm pretty happy. I'm going to have to get a tap and die set and redo all the stuff on the tub where inserts are since they are out of whack.

Next issue will be to tackle the doors. I'm not going to cut and patch them. I'm going to POR15 them and put new hardware and stripping on them and let them go.

Sold long ago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom