The FJ40 Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The latest electrical issue is all of sudden tonight the fan pull stopped working, the fuel gauge, oil pressure gauge, and tempature guage all stopped working too. They all worked yesterday. Then the brake lights started working again, the reverse lights are working like they should, and the hazards are flashing. None of that worked yesterday. There is no rhyme nor reason I see here. Also the bottom two fuses seem to get extremly hot and the rest are ok. Any ideas?

sometimes I would loose things and have to hit the fuse box like an old tv to make lights/gauges/blinkers come.back on. I wouldn't blow fuses but something in there was loose.I couldn't track.down.

My fuse box would.get really hot too.

You may have a bad ground or grounds. Maybe old switches that need cleaning.

My 40 has its share of electrical weirdness. At one time if the rheostat for the dash lights was cranked to full the running lights would not work. For some reason this has self-corrected. I had the back up switch on the transmission fail which caused the dash gauges to stop working. Disconnecting the switch at the transmission cured this. My brake light switch at the pedal sticks and if I forget to pull up on the brake pedal the brake lights stay on draining the battery.

I'm just catching up on this thread- been pretty absent since the switch over. Did you end up getting the real steel bows and canvas top or are you sticking w/ the one you got? AntFj actually called and talked through some questions I had when I bought my soft ambi doors. That was back before he had started making tops. At the time he was the only guy I could find that had tried to figure out the soft doors.

I just started messing around with the 40 again. I got Paki soft top bows and installed them and got the soft top on. I need to get the soft top channel in and am a little confused about that. I will have to roll over to the 40 section and do some research. It is square and straight and it looks like I will need to bend it along the top of the windshield and also find some way to weld some little nuts over the holes drilled into the frame so it will all hold. I hate self tapping screws and have had bad experience with them. I also am trying to track down the last handful of parts to get everything done mechanically and body work so I can get the electrical and bit of interior work done. I'll put up some pics tomorrow.

You should prolly go with me next time I go to Jackson, MS... and just gawk at them boysez 40esez.... You'll be chompin to come home and get in the garage!
Let us know ahead of time and I'll drive down and watch! drove through there twice today!

I got the oil changed tonight and cleaned up some grounds to start on the electrical. I am still looking for some parts in the wanted section. Its starting to move again.

20150208_203347.jpg

20150216_220850.jpg

Looking good man! I saw you and the wife ride past Las Casitas in the HUNDOE...its mighty freschhhh

Well, after a long time away the FJ40 is finally running and driving. It now has a tag and all. I finally tracked down a good mechanic in Montgomery that has worked on FJ40s and he sorted out the electrical issues, got the carb going strong, installed all the soft top bits, and everything. I drove it to work the past two days and couldn't be happier. Now I have to track down a tailgate for it (tough to do) and then get the doors sanded, painted, and fixed, and she will be as good as new. Anybody know where an OEM tailgate would be at for a reasonable price?

I should have mentioned, but the electrical issues were fixed by cleaning up the fuse box and the contacts. There was a bad connection from one side to the other of the fuse so cleaning the contacts knocked it out. It was a simple and cheap fix.

Last edited:
Awesome!
I'm going to the Cruiser Crawl next month, so I'll post up on FB looking for a tailgate and see if we can't find someone who has one and can get it to the crawl...

You may want to hit up the north I Alabama guys, several of them have bis and pieces for sale.
I hit some up with little luck. Curt had one but it would require drilling on my rig and I want to stay stock its a FST tub set up for a tailgate.

The wife made this birthday cake yesterday. She's a keeper.

20150921_165615.jpg

What are you using now for a tailgate? If you have something decent to trade for my OEM i may be interested as my rig isnt near stock so im not picky, just more into functionality.

What are you using now for a tailgate? If you have something decent to trade for my OEM i may be interested as my rig isnt near stock so im not picky, just more into functionality.
Right now I have nothing on it but I have a set of perfect barn doors with no rust, an upper hatch that has been painted hunter green and could use a little work, and a set of ambi doors that need to be patched on the bottom. I also have a one piece bolt on tailgate. I'll PM you.

I'm still on the sarch for a stock tailgate and hardware. I may can get a tailgate from Real Steel but now I am having a hard time finding the hardware. This is like trying to find a friggin unicorn. 8 or 9 months ago I had a lead on two and now can't find any. If it weren't for bad luck I swear I wouldn't have any....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom