The Farm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I know very little about home building, but I'd do the best insulation I could afford. It will be the number one energy cost saver over the life of the home.

We do quite a few "sustainable" buildings in the commercial world...it's a lot of hooey - if you ask me. They would save more money putting double pane low-E windows, insulated doors and more insulation in the walls and roof system, than what they accomplish by going down this long list of criteria to achieve a "gold rating" with LEED or EarthCraft (solar panels, bio-retention, gray water recycling, indoor air quality monitoring, low volatile paints adhesives).

Right right

But low volatile products def sound like a good idea to me. Either paints or adhesives. I'm def curious/concerned about off gassing from polyurethane spray foam in the house I'm building. I need to research more and def curious to hear about costs

Paints, yeah. Adhesives... I see baseboard moulding falling off walls, carpet tiles that peel up, countertop laminates that start peeling at edges because the water based stuff just doesn't work. Not likely that Matt & Erin are going to have those kinds of surfaces or finishes. It was more of a rant on the agencies that create these checklists all in the name of efficiency and sustainability. If you have to fix it in 3 years, then you've defeated the original goal and are adding to the landfill.

Good to hear. Construction choices can feel overwhelming....of whats right to use and quality/cost issues.

With insulation, this is what I'm looking at and researching currently & def pumped to see this house be built :)

Traditional fiber glass batting

Open & closed cell polyurethane spray foams

Blown JM Spider

Blown fiberglass

Blown cellulose

Last edited:
I agree about all the LEED Bullspit! It is a bunch of crap that is a way for some stiff to sell his sh!t to folks. I personally have little use for the crap they make now. I ask for the bug stuff that KILLS bugs, I want the glue you have to wear off, I am all for sustainability, but I hate all this crap that they are spoon feeding us because we aren't smart enough to think for ourselves. Low flow toilets you have to flush three times, high efficiency washers that don't clean your clothes, just crap for the sake of making us feel good and green. But that is a whole different conversation.

But yeah, like @BMThiker suspects we are using mostly solid surfaces and hardwoods, so not alot of adhesives or need for other waterbased crap.

As far as the foam, I haven't even looked into off-gassing on the foam, my decision will be based purely on if the cost/ benefit is in the budget. I most likely had lead paint and asbestos somewhere in my life growing up, I rode in the front seat with no seatbelts and played with matches and scissors when I was little, my parents also got me all my shots and I didn't tell the teacher when I got picked on by a bully, I punched him in the eye. Sorry, rant off and I didn't mean any disrespect by any of that, I just get a little soap-boxy when I get on that subject. When I get some pricing and more info, I will definitely share. And can you share any info on the off-gassing you mentioned above. @theron have you talked to anyone else around. 31W is one of the bigger insulation companies in mid-tn, I need to check them out. I need to see about getting a Nashville meeting set up, be good to meet another local cruiser-head.

Also, while I don't have any hard numbers, I do know that the foam options will likely be 2 to 3 times what traditional batt will be. Not sure about those other options, but gonna ask my GC about them.

Last edited:
All that aside, apparently putting the top on it is a little slower than walls. They have said they will have everything in, including all doors and windows in by next Friday. Not sure when the roof will go on, but I'm hoping it will be dried in by the end of next week.

Pictures from today.

Front
2015-11-03 16.49.13.jpeg

Storage over the garage
2015-11-03 16.50.58.jpeg

Back
2015-11-03 16.09.22.jpeg

Looking across the bonus room
2015-11-03 16.11.02.jpeg

2015-11-03 16.10.48.jpeg

Looked like they had their rafter patterns, so maybe garage will be knocked out tomorrow and maybe part of the main roof.

Last edited:
Nashville just adopted IBC 2012 standards, which increased insulation requirements, so I know for it's gonna be more than just traditional fiber glass over here (aka not cheap)....I'm just now pulling permits...I'll check back in on your progress

Interesting. I am not 100% sure what code Rutherfore Co is under. I'm guessing 2009. I know we have to pass a negative pressure test per my GC, but as far as insulation requirements, not sure. I will also say that RC is much easier to work with than some surrounding counties. Davidson can't be worse that Williamson, I have some friends that just survived building there and I honestly felt bad for them and all the crap they had to go thru.

Good luck. Look forward to hearing how your build goes.

I stopped by today, Erin started work yesterday so update pictures are gonna slow down a little, but I will update every time I get the chance. @htburnett became our second guest in the new house. Glad you called and I was close, maybe next time we can sit and have a beer on the porch.

I did get pictures, but had to use the big boy camera because my camera on my s5 has locked up and won't load, so I hot a get them off the SD card to upload them. We are headed home now, so should get them up a little later tonight.

Short version, all main rafters are up, back is ready for decking, they were cutting porch rafter for the wrap-around when I left today.

Well, I got the pics off the camera, so here are today's pictures.

IMG_3667.JPG

IMG_3669.JPG

IMG_3677.JPG

IMG_3679.JPG

IMG_3676.JPG

And a few more. These guys are awesome. With it supposed to rain in the morning, I'm not sure how much will get done, but I am pretty sure they just lack the rafters for the porch and then it should be ready for decking and roofing.

IMG_3666.JPG

Looking over the garage
IMG_3670.JPG

And bonus room
IMG_3671.JPG

The boss
IMG_3675.JPG

And the Kool-Aid Man, compliments of the framers.
IMG_3672.JPG

They are a good bunch.

Anyway, I won't be back out until Saturday, so I will post up what I find.

Well, I got to stop by the farm today to check out their progress. Things are starting to come together nicely. I was hoping that they would have the doors and windows in by today, but the weather wasn't the greatest this week so they didn't quite get there. I think they got 2 in before the dark got them tonight and they will be back on Monday to finish up hopefully.

Anyway, Pictures.

IMG_3684.JPG

IMG_3688.JPG

IMG_3689.JPG

IMG_3690.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

I will grab a few more tomorrow while we are working on cleaning up and working around.

Stay warm tonight, it's gonna be a cold one.

We spent the weekend cleaning and clearing. Had to get the line cleared for our water line to run to the house. The property technically doesn't have access to city water so we have to bring it in from either the front or the back. Fortunately the lady behind us is going to let us have an easement for our meter, but it is about 600 plus feet from there to the house, about 400 of which is thru some dense woods. We spent today cutting and clearing where we want to run it. Got it cleared enough, so now I just need to rent a trencher and get my ditch in. So that will most likely be my project for the first of the week of Thanksgiving.

Anyway, they got the windows in the upstairs and should button up the rest tomorrow. Once that is wrapped up, I think the framers will be done and we will be on to rough-ins.

Anyway, on to the pics.

IMG_2188.jpg

The room over the garage got a little big. It will likely become an office at some point in the future.
IMG_2184.jpg

And the bonus room is going to be a nice area for about anything we decide to do with it.

IMG_2186.jpg

Things are coming together. I have to meet with the electrician on Friday and call the cabinet guy tomorrow to finalize the layout. I also did a drone flyover today that I will try to get it uploaded tomorrow.

:beer:

Last edited:
Yesterdays flyover.

Looks good man!! I love the shop. Love it so much I'm looking at a 25'x40' from the same company..

The house is looking good. Love the big porch. Looks like you finally got to fly the drone, good video.

Thanks guys. Yeah Sunday was a red letter day for me. I got to fly the drone AND drive the Tractor for the first time. It is a nice little ride, but I feel like a tick on an elephants ass driving it. It is definitely Erin sized, but it's hers so that's fine.

Anyway here are a few more from earlier this week.

IMG_3710.JPG.jpg

We added a window over the garage and they got the eyebrow on the end.
IMG_3713.JPG.jpg

The room over the garage will most likely be my office eventually
IMG_3717.JPG.jpg

Front door
IMG_3719.JPG.jpg

Back
IMG_3718.JPG.jpg

They had the front half completely roofed on tuesday, I expect they finished today, so it should be dried in today.

I am meeting with the electrician tomorrow morning to discuss the outlets and lighting. They will likely start roughing in next week. Also hope to talk to the HVAC guys about the mini-spilt units for the upstairs.

Things seem to be moving along pretty well, and I am pleased that we got it dried in before the weather really broke bad.

I will grab a few more pics while I'm out there in the morning.

Do you think you'll put a NEMA 14/50 240v 50amp outlet in your garage? I'm thinking about it....seems like a decent bet electric cars could be the ticket in a few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom