the aerodynamics of a brick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting caught in a heavy rainstorm in a fj40 is a bummer.....the wipers going full blast doesn't seem to do much. Is there some kind of turbocharger kit for the wiper motor.....or is it that the FJ has the streamlines of a brick and we're all stuck with no vision in a monsoon? Any advise would be cool.....thanks :G

what's that glass treatment stuff for windows, available at any autoparts store...RainX....try it, works wonders!

And yes, with the lack of aerodynamics comes poor wiper characteristics at any speed over 10 mph....lol

I gave the rain X a try......like you said, when you're parked it works great...it beads up all nice. then you move and can't see a damn thing.........dumb question....thought I'd ask lol! :dunno:

...or do what I've always done, wax all your windows. Long before I knew what Rain-X was I was waxing my windows to help clear the rain. It's a cheap easy trick. L8tr!

rainx ROCKS! i use that on every piece of glass on every vehicle I own!!! :G

I felt pretty dumb when I did it but I was sick and tired of my slow a## wipers. I ordered a new motor from Jay Marks toyota. That and the combination of rain x I've got some wipers. Those old wipers motors do wear out slowly over the years. I dont want to remember how much it cost but it was freakin alot($170.00 or so). Worth it in your first rainstorm. Oh yea it is worth shopping toyota parts at Jay Marks toyota that motor from them was about half what the local dealer wanted for the same part. i still feel dumb about it but it's sure nice to  see out in the rain. :beer:
Check your linkage before buying a motor cause there are alot of variables that can cause slow wipers.

The older style wipers that sit ontop of the winscreen frame are real slow & jerky, but the newer one at the bottom uses linkages. Often a good cleaning of these makes a vast improvement. I replaced my motor, got one for nothing at a junkyard, now I am worried that the arms will break off when they are on the hi-speed setting. Too fast, does not seem right for a FJ.

Another tip for bodywork, I use cheap floorwax on the body, lasts way longer than autowax, and the dirt and mud just falls off, no wiping required, just water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom