The Adventure Begins (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
We took the LX on it's first trip post it's new H20 pump and timing belt. She performed flawlessly towing our 16 foot Scamp and a canoe on top over 300 miles safely. This is exactly the platform I've been looking for. It's not overly expensive (compared to other "newer" towing vehicle options), it will hold it's value (actually it will go up. How many 23 year old SUV's can you say that about?) And as I improve things and return her to baseline and a regular maintenance schedule, she will be more reliable than any other "Dads old Jeep" I could own (yes I am a full on Jeep convert).

IMG-0778.jpg

She purred along at 1900 RPM easy cheesy like it was what she was born to do all day long! Now I'll never go off road, this is what we do! So she won't be subjected to nearly the stress a crawler or off road rig will be. She will however... pull, like a well trained plow horse. We have a 22 foot McGregor Sailboat for the old sailors out there. That being said, it will be a different type of build and use. Maybe there's some other "tow only" types out there.

IMG-6647.JPG

This is what a typical weekend can also look like. The Commander was an ok vehicle. We didn't pay much and it served us well for a few years. It's just a "disposable" engine. Jeep hasn't made a decent platform since the XJ and a Cherokee (of which I've owned 3 or 4) could handle this kind of load.

IMG-0782.jpg

IMG-0844.jpg

You can see the area where she was "tapped" that went unattended just in front of the passenger side brake light. I will add a ladder and tool box here, combined with a nice custom rack. Stay tuned.

Good looking LX! You'll never want a Jeep again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom