Thank you Veterans! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

iptman

SILVER Star
Threads
I know we have several Veterans within our ranks so thank you all for your service and sacrifices.

I went to Mission BBQ for lunch today and apparently Veterans and active duty personnel eat free today. I was at a loss for words yet full of pride when, as they do at noon every day, sing the national anthem. The place was packed with veterans, even one WWII veteran and seeing all these men and women who choose to serve our great nation stand in reverance and then be recognized by the rest of us was quite an emotional scene. Sitting there with my 3 year old son, who if not for the sacrifices of untold numbers of veterans wouldn't be here today, it truly makes me thankful for every one of you. Thanks really isn't enough.

It was an honor to serve my country.
U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer 1977-2003
SEMPER PARATUS!
1981 - USCGC STEADFAST (WMEC 623) Salvador Brazil. I'm the one without a cover!
(
1981 USCGSteadfast UNITAS.jpg

I went to the range today and shot my dad’s 1917 M1911. He served two tours in Vietnam but that pistol might have seen countless tours in 4 wars! No, it wasn’t his personal weapon, just something he picked up one day years ago. 102 years old and still doing its job!

Thank you to all who have served; each of you help afford me the ability to do that today.

It was an honor to serve my country.
U.S. Coast Guard Chief Petty Officer 1977-2003
SEMPER PARATUS!
1981 - USCGC STEADFAST (WMEC 623) Salvador Brazil. I'm the one without a cover!
(View attachment 2130709
Mighty warship STEADFAST! I spent a summer working on her dockside in Astoria as a cadet in 2013. Thanks for your service, Chief!

All of those Famous Class cutters are beat.
Yup. They've been around since the 60s. They should have been replaced decades ago! They STEADFAST at the time I was onboard (1980-81) was the only cutter in Florida that actually worked! The DAUNTLESS (or as we called her - the DOUBTFUL) was ALWAYS pier side at Base Miami for repairs. Even though we could get underway - one or the other engine was down for repairs.

Yup. They've been around since the 60s. They should have been replaced decades ago! They STEADFAST at the time I was onboard (1980-81) was the only cutter in Florida that actually worked! The DAUNTLESS (or as we called her - the DOUBTFUL) was ALWAYS pier side at Base Miami for repairs. Even though we could get underway - one or the other engine was down for repairs.

My first tour was on DAUNTLESS, and she was doing just fine 34 years later, but they’re all very tired.

No kidding? What year? Before the mid-life rebuild they were run to death. EVERY patrol we went on ended up being extended because the DAUNTLESS was OOC - AGAIN! ARGH!!
LOL!! We did get a boat load of busts because of that though.

No kidding? What year? Before the mid-life rebuild they were run to death. EVERY patrol we went on ended up being extended because the DAUNTLESS was OOC - AGAIN! ARGH!!
LOL!! We did get a boat load of busts because of that though.
I was DCA on DAUNTLESS from 2014-2016. I reported in while we were in dry dock in Brooklyn, so I know all about the mechanical concerns. We went on to have a few big busts while I was there.

Roger that. While stationed as a RM2 on the STEADFAST we had the ultimate honor of providing maritime security down-range for THE first space shuttle launch (12 April 1981 - STS-1 Columbia). As it was heading up it came right over the top of the ship. Wow - what a memory! The double sonic boom was - LOUD! Scared the crap out of us....LOL!!
There was a Soviet AGI (spy ship) that kept trying to push into the exclusion zone - we put a stop to that.

Here we are on the Bear USCGC 901

USCGS BEAR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom