Builds Tex's 2019 GX460 build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyway, it worked great and was a lot of fun and I haven't taken it off yet. My wife parks in a low garage every day and this setup fits fine. The tent would probably not fit though; I think it is about 6'8" the way I had it mounted but I could save maybe 1.5" by taking the tent rails off as mentioned above.

11.jpeg

I made it as wide as the tent to allow mounting an awning at some point and maybe a shower tank on the other side. The side rails are 1/2x3. The cross bars are 3/4x3. The basket is 3/4x1 bar stock. All 6061-T6, welded with 4943 filler on DCEN with 100% He. Ugly, but effective; penetration is not really an issue as it raises the arc voltage to 17 from 14.3 or whatever so even at 175 you can weld pretty much any piece of aluminum - rockets or whatever. On AC this would take 250+ amps, which means a bigger welder (read more expensive).

Now, someone will take me to task for not using tube extrusions rather than bar stock. I will say that for this purpose, I would do it again just like this. Building with bar you can tap into it anywhere for whatever accessories you need and not worry about whether the wall thickness will support your new accessory. It is bomb proof. I have another cross bar for the extra set of rack holes, but ended up leaving it off. I was able to lift this thing up there without much drama and bolt it on. I don't really care what happens to it down the line; maybe someone else can use it. All told it is about $500 in materials including the feet, so not super cheap, but go ahead and try to buy something like it. Prinsu charged me over a grand for some steel thing that didn't even fit. I'm sure their stuff is fine, but I was pretty depressed when I figured out that rack wasn't going to fit. And this thing is super versatile. My wife gets stopped on the road sometimes to ask where she got it, which I take as a compliment.

The bads: 1) basket in front meant an extra crossbar right at the top of the windshield. This is where the front of the tent lands also. It might be possible to deflect the wind up and over the whole mess, but I didn't have time to sort that out, so there was some humming from that crossbar at speed. We ignored it. I did end up putting the camp table and folding chairs up there as planned, so it served its purpose. I might use a slightly different design for the crossbar next time. One could also just cut the front off with a skill saw and recycle it. But the usual stuff can go up there water, sand ramps, yada yada.
12.jpeg
6.jpeg
7.jpeg
8.jpeg

That's about it. To conclude, if you are doing a DIY rack for a GX460:
1. Buy the Gamivity feet. Four if using hefty bar or thick wall extrusion. Six if you want to go overboard. We had two adults and two kids and a couple hundred pounds of tent on four of them and it worked fine.

2. Use bar stock if you want future attachment flexibility
3. Avoid unfaired crossbars at the top of the windshield
4. Weld as much on the table as you can. The basket took way more time than the cross bars for this reason. If welding on vehicle, cover the car with something that doesn't burn, like leather or a fireproof wool blanket, including the windshield to protect from sparks and molten metal
5. You could bolt it together, but that is a lot of drilling and marking for unclear benefit. It is probably going to live on your truck, so just weld it. Steel could be welded more easily, but it needs paint and would be harder to drill into and harder to cut than aluminum.
That's about it. Anybody near LA who wants this rack or this truck in about a year let me know as the wife may want something newer by that point.

Reactions: r2m
Sounds fun! I was hoping for some photos of your rig all loaded up to see how it all fit.
Regarding your iKamper, we LOVE ours! My only issues is the weight. It would nice if it were lighter to be able to take on and off easily, but I'm in a household of girls so I'm the only muscle. But it is the Cadillac of RTT's! Super fast setup and tear down, comfortable and fun for the kids!
Suggestion if you have room, invest in a refrigerator. We have two, a large one (85 qt) for week long plus camping and a small (21 qt) which is about the size of a large PlayMate cooler. About 95% of the time we use the smaller one. The only thing I suggest if you get one for camping, you may want to wire a dedicated 12 VDC so you can turn your car off and still run your fridge. Since fridges only runs when the interior gets warm it's usually really easy on the battery, even overnight.

I am not sure if @ATG meant to post this in my build thread but it's not a big deal either way. Nice use of simple engineering.

Yeah sorry to barge in I can go get my own thread but it seemed like it was on topic and that there were at least a few other people in the thread who might care.

Yeah sorry to barge in I can go get my own thread but it seemed like it was on topic and that there were at least a few other people in the thread who might care.

No worries, all are welcome!

A buddy smacked the front end of his 2020 GX460 on something going down the interstate but he managed to salvage the upper half of the grille for me. I plan to pick up the newer gloss style emblem for it and trim it up and install it. Short of the new headlights it'll help update the front end a little.

p6ZyaKr.jpg

Suggestion... Why not get a 3D printed custom emblem??
Maybe a GXOR or your initials with a "L" behind it or something??
Or maybe a big'ol middle finger!! oops...

Suggestion... Why not get a 3D printed custom emblem??
Maybe a GXOR or your initials with a "L" behind it or something??
Or maybe a big'ol middle finger!! oops...

I am gonna roll with the new 2020 style gloss emblem for now but that doesn't mean that I am not open to the idea of something more custom later on. I even considered the black gloss replacements for my current emblems, lots of possibilities.

2020 grille emblem

PN: 53141-50060

OEM: $330.00
YIKES!!!!!
Seriously, for that much money you can use some free CAD program, design your own emblem for about half of what that factory one would cost!

There are some non-OEM versions for sale out there that are substantially cheaper but may need to customize them some to fit.

Yup, picked up the knock-off which is identical for $45 shipped. I might have to modify a tab but it'll be perfect for 1/8 the money lol.

Last edited:
I see a number wanting to retrofit 2020 headlights as well but at $2200/each new and now CANBUS driven that mod will be a few years out. Even used/damaged headlights won't be cheap and far from plug and play on the electrical side.

I see a number wanting to retrofit 2020 headlights as well but at $2200/each new and now CANBUS driven that mod will be a few years out. Even used/damaged headlights won't be cheap and far from plug and play on the electrical side.

Yea, odds are we will have a knock-off retrofit option long before the factory lights become doable and/or affordable.

By that time, the GX 4(XX) will be out and everyone will be wanting that! (or the Bronco...)

By that time, the GX 4(XX) will be out and everyone will be wanting that! (or the Bronco...)

Same haha. Bronco or next Gen Land Cruiser.

Dragging the bike to the dealer earlier today. I love this little trailer behind the GX.

YpdCDbh.jpg

With a couple of simple mod's that can be removed, it would also work as an adventure trailer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom