Test Drove a '96 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bkg

Threads
I'm an '80 newbie - bear with me.

Was very clean, had about 130K on it. Two strange things - front seat was "loose" - rocked back and forth a tad. The parking brake was non-existent... Both said to be easy fixes by the dealer.

But the strange thing was a "whistling" sound coming from the tranny area that occured only under load. This is the only thing that I'm leary about right now. Price is right - very right - but not if disection of the tranny is in order..

Could the wistling have been coming from the A/C? I was told there was a common problem with that.

The brake should be an easy fix, but you might want to have it checked out first. The $100 you spend would tell you about the tranny as well.

All easy most likely. The whistle sounds like the exhaust, this is very common and although there are quite a few speculations as to what exacly in there is doing it, it's in there.

In fact my 96 has had all three of these plus others so far.

When I test drove mine a couple years ago, my '96 only had 45k miles on it but it already had that 'play' in the seat but i only feel it when i push back on it. I also have that 'whirring' noise when I step on it. Never had the brake issue though.

My reservation when I first test drove my 'used' '96 was the overall 'clunkiness' of the entire drivetrain. It didn't feel 'tight' to me meaning...from a stop, as soon as i hit the gas, you could hear the engine start to wind up but it would take a fraction of a second before the drivetrain would 'engage' and get going. 40k miles later, its still the same. I guess the fulltime fourwheel drive and automatic tranny gives it that characteristic.

Sounds like your LC is 'normal'. :D

good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom