Tesla Style PX6 Head unit 10.4 vs 13.6 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, new to the forum here. I just got a 2005 Lexus GX470 and am looking to upgrade the head unit. This is a Nav model so conversion to a non-nav would be pricey. I'm looking into the Tesla style display units from Phoenix Automotive.

I've done some research and know some people have had really bad luck with these units and some love it! I'm willing to give it a shot and have been looking at the 10.4" vs the 13.6" models. There are a lot of reviews and install videos on the 10.4" version but could hardly find anything on the 13.6". Does anyone in here have a 13.6" version and can let me know what they think of it? I wouldn't mind the 10.4" but its an android 9 tablet vs the android 10 in the 13.6" version. I also like that the 13.6" has nobs although I would need to delete the ashtray and 12v outlet to fit it.

Firmware I heard was crap so I'll be going with a custom firmware from that russian guy on fb that everyone talks about.

Thanks in advanced for any advise!

1624020618079.png
1624020771502.png

1624020819819.png
1624020891661.png

If you use the search feature, you’ll find some very active threads discussing these units. Not trying to be rude, but it seems excessive to have yet another distinct thread for this topic

If you use the search feature, you’ll find some very active threads discussing these units. Not trying to be rude, but it seems excessive to have yet another distinct thread for this topic
I've searched a lot of them and none talk about the 13.6" version, Just the older 10.4" version. This topic was supposed to concentrate on the 13.6" version of this unit.

I've searched a lot of them and none talk about the 13.6" version, Just the older 10.4" version. This topic was supposed to concentrate on the 13.6" version of this unit.
So yes, let's talk about it. I'm also in CO, have a similar GC470, mine is 2009 with NAV and Mark Levinson audio.

The folks at Phoenix Automotive aren't long on help, and they expect the community of installers to develop any user documentation they have. But they did tell me today in an email that either the 13.6 or 10.4 inch model will work on any 2005 or 2009; it's just a matter of preference.

I do like having more screen real estate to work with, and having a physical knob for volume when full screen is used for other tasks.

With the 13.6 we lose the ashtray and lighter socket. My ashtray held my phone, and it plugged into the socket to charge with a short cord. I'd probably place it in a dedicated holder with USB to the Phoenix radio, so it can host Android Auto and stay charged. We do have another 12V outlet below; I can live without the ashtray.

Does it place the HVAC buttons and two knobs too low, or just get them out of the way so more screen can be used? It seems silly to have them on the sides up high, rather than more screen.

As you already found, the 13.6" boasts the newer OS, Android 10 vs 9 for the 10.4". That has to be better if implemented correctly, but Phoenix won't advise which is the more reliable or less buggy. It for us to find out. Along with finding firmware that gives us more control over the look and feel of the UI / skins.

So given that Phoenix offers 30 days for me to satisfy myself that it works; I'm inclined to buy and try the 13.6" version, and perhaps integrate the 360 degree cameras.

I would feel way better if there was custom firmware from the same guy that does the 10.4.

So yes, let's talk about it. I'm also in CO, have a similar GC470, mine is 2009 with NAV and Mark Levinson audio.

The folks at Phoenix Automotive aren't long on help, and they expect the community of installers to develop any user documentation they have. But they did tell me today in an email that either the 13.6 or 10.4 inch model will work on any 2005 or 2009; it's just a matter of preference.

I do like having more screen real estate to work with, and having a physical knob for volume when full screen is used for other tasks.

With the 13.6 we lose the ashtray and lighter socket. My ashtray held my phone, and it plugged into the socket to charge with a short cord. I'd probably place it in a dedicated holder with USB to the Phoenix radio, so it can host Android Auto and stay charged. We do have another 12V outlet below; I can live without the ashtray.

Does it place the HVAC buttons and two knobs too low, or just get them out of the way so more screen can be used? It seems silly to have them on the sides up high, rather than more screen.

As you already found, the 13.6" boasts the newer OS, Android 10 vs 9 for the 10.4". That has to be better if implemented correctly, but Phoenix won't advise which is the more reliable or less buggy. It for us to find out. Along with finding firmware that gives us more control over the look and feel of the UI / skins.

So given that Phoenix offers 30 days for me to satisfy myself that it works; I'm inclined to buy and try the 13.6" version, and perhaps integrate the 360 degree cameras.

Thanks for your insight! I had the same thoughts as you and would've already ordered one except for the fact that I talked to Shivadest on FB and he said that he does not have a firmware out for the 13" and doesn't have plans on producing one at this time. This has given me pause in choosing the 13" since I've read so many posts on how the custom firmware makes everything work better then the original.

I've also noticed they made a new 10.4" android 10 version but that it completely lacks any physical buttons, controls or dials. Its just a screen which I don't get why they would do that... It is also significantly more expensive then the rest....

Ditto on the hesitancy. I emailed Sergei the day I place the order on the 13.6. He asked me for the System Info/ Settings from the unit purchased (I'd need to read them off the actual radio), but did not tell about support for the 13.6 model. If he can not, that would steer me toward the smaller unit.

I did put in an order for the 13.6, on June 23rd. Twelve emails later, all nonsensical, the unit has not shipped. I do not know if Phoenix has any handle on their supply chain, and will be surprised if they actually ship anything.

As I said before, they give me 30 days to try and fail.

The newer, more expensive metal-trimmed, button-less unit says it is only for 2003-2005 Lexi. Mine's a 2009.

Ditto on the hesitancy. I emailed Sergei the day I place the order on the 13.6. He asked me for the System Info/ Settings from the unit purchased (I'd need to read them off the actual radio), but did not tell about support for the 13.6 model. If he can not, that would steer me toward the smaller unit.

I did put in an order for the 13.6, on June 23rd. Twelve emails later, all nonsensical, the unit has not shipped. I do not know if Phoenix has any handle on their supply chain, and will be surprised if they actually ship anything.

As I said before, they give me 30 days to try and fail.

The newer, more expensive metal-trimmed, button-less unit says it is only for 2003-2005 Lexi. Mine's a 2009.
When I talked with phoenix a few weeks ago on the 13, they said that they didnt have any in stock and that it would be a long wait for it to come from china. Most likely they are on backorder and having issues with the world-wide chip shortage. Hope you get yours soon though, they really should update their supplies and mention the wait on their web page....

I have a 2005 gx470 so the newer all metal button-less unit would work for me. Just not sure if its worth the extra cost. Wonder how much of a performance boost it gets from an octa-core and having the newer android 10 platform. I also haven't checked with Sergei yet to see if he has a firmware for it. A lot of unknown factors.

Just curiuos if you personally or have heard of anyone getthing these units directly off aliexpress? Are they the same? Inferior? Since the units from pheonix are also shipped from china. Thanks

Just curiuos if you personally or have heard of anyone getthing these units directly off aliexpress? Are they the same? Inferior? Since the units from pheonix are also shipped from china. Thanks
I have heard of people getting them from there. Only issue is if you have a hardware malfunction or any issues, you are basically out of luck in terms of support or replacement which you would get if you bought it through Phoenix.

I have heard of people getting them from there. Only issue is if you have a hardware malfunction or any issues, you are basically out of luck in terms of support or replacement which you would get if you bought it through Phoenix.

Phoenix is worthless when it comes to any sort of technical help or warranty issues. In fact I’ve heard of people getting better experience directly with the Chinese wholesalers. Sort of depends on who you buy from and how good their English is to minimize any language barrier if you have an issue.

These units by and large should be considered the sole responsibility of the end user to trouble shoot and fine tune in my opinion. I expected zero help when I bought one and when I reached out to Phoenix that’s exactly what I got. So all in all expectations were met lol.

Phoenix is worthless when it comes to any sort of technical help or warranty issues. In fact I’ve heard of people getting better experience directly with the Chinese wholesalers.

^ This. My issues were never resolved. Horrible company.

Just a quick update for those you still on the fence about getting one of these units.

I ended up going thru aliexpress to pick up a 13.6 unit px6 android 10 with knobs. Just want to caveat..never used android product (so learning curve) and my first stereo ive ever installed (really just plug and play)

Had it hooked up yesterday and so far as everyone has mentioned, connecting to carplay and wifi glitchy (could be user error) Just installed so ill continue to play around with it.

Hvac controls working really good (streering wheel control works too), blue tooth working well.

So far my biggest issue and if anyone else has had this problem please chime in. The unit is have a hard time detecting anythjng plugged via usb (my iphone and a dash cam). Ive reached out to sergie via facebook couple months back for firmware for android 10 and he does not have one.

I will provide updates as i tinker with it or incorporate any feedbacks i get here.

Android and iPhone don’t work nicely for hotspot/Wi-Fi because iOS idles your hotspot after a few minutes so you constantly have to turn the hotspot off/on.

Android and iPhone don’t work nicely for hotspot/Wi-Fi because iOS idles your hotspot after a few minutes so you constantly have to turn the hotspot off/on.
Quoted for truth. I hate the hotspot limitation on iOS. I need an app that it’s only sole purpose is to send a packet or two every 30-45 seconds or so to continue to keep the connection alive. Haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom