Tesla Style HU Reverse Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TeCKis300

GOLD Star
Threads
Biting the bullet and going to try and solve this. Could use the hive minds support.

SOLVED - See Post #14

This question keeps coming up in various threads and social media channels and I have yet to find a good resource on how to properly integrate this functionality. It's like black magic.

Feel free to correct my assumptions but this is what I'm gathering. Needs 3 main things: 1) reverse signal 2) video input 3) power video subsystem

1) Reverse signal can be done by CAN bus programming or hardwired. My new gen GT6 unit doesn't seem to be programmed. Just confirmed that hardwiring will trigger the camera function, but seemingly no video.
2) Still need to sort out the video signal from the 360 system. Not completely sure which plugs are it, but I believe the digital plug highlighted in yellow below is it. There is a blue and white plug from the car that will plug in here, with one being reverse and other being 360 (at least on my '09). The plugs are keyed so while the blue will slip right in, the white can be forced in. I saw at least one post that said it is the one that's not properly keyed that carries the right video??
3) OEM 360 system requires 6V (as opposed to 12V) to power the system. Unsure this is properly wired in my setup and probably the last piece of the puzzle I need to sort.

Paging @baktasht for any insight?

Back of Tesla GT6 HU

1685406450118.png

1685406524730.png

Last edited:
Found this post that includes some 3rd party instruction, but haven't fully digested yet. Reposting some capture here

1685406216024.png

1685406226722.png

1685406236702.png

1685406245919.png

1685406255121.png

Wiring reverse signal​

Just confirmed that splicing the following blue reverse signal cable on the car side, to the brown cable marked "back" on the Tesla GT6 HU side that's capped off, will trigger the reverse display. Shows no signal for video now. The parking sensors are actively displaying.

1685406755573.png

1685415533287.png

1685415624679.png

Last edited:
Wires to check:

2007 - July '09 models

1685490022954.png

July '09 - 2011 model

1685490088818.png

Last edited:
The plugs are keyed so while the blue will slip right in, the white can be forced in. I saw at least one post that said it is the one that's not properly keyed that carries the right video??
You may be referring to a post by me as the 360 camera connector on my Tesla unit was keyed for the white plug, but the blue plug was the one that needed to be used. Keep in mind that my LC is a 2020, so some of the details are most likely going to be different on your 2009. It’s possible they sent you a head unit programmed for a 2016+, which could easily explain the issues you’re running into.

You may be referring to a post by me as the 360 camera connector on my Tesla unit was keyed for the white plug, but the blue plug was the one that needed to be used. Keep in mind that my LC is a 2020, so some of the details are most likely going to be different on your 2009. It’s possible they sent you a head unit programmed for a 2016+, which could easily explain the issues you’re running into.

Yes, there's likely model year differences. Curiously mine is keyed for the blue digital plug. I've tried both. Also trying various software settings and combinations of selecting 2010 and 2016. No dice yet but I'll keep digging at this.

Appreciate the input!

I had @rrc swb wire my backup cam for the 100 series Tesla screen. I remember it was a lot of work and wires everywhere. There was also a voltage transformer he had to get to power the cam. I’ll see if he can help

Last edited:
I’m mostly just following along, but at this stage you are looking for the 6v output from the Tesla box and the return video feed? Or I guess possibly where to plug in the return video feed To the Tesla unit?

It fieels like most of the puzzle is solved?

Wires needed:
Cam signal in (vcc and gnd) (id'd on car side, need on HU side)
Cam power (6v), (+6v and gnd) (id'd on car side, need on HU side)
Reverse signal (rev) (mapped successfully to HU)

Can you just power the camera manually with some AAs to 6v, trigger the rev signal and use pin probes for vcc/gnd (signal) on all the connection pairs likely at the HU to test? There only looks to be 8 to 10 candidates to probe?

I wired the Tesla HU into my GX470 to use the OEM camera. The instructions were similar to what is above from what I recall. My OEM harness was in the kick panel of the PS. At first mine was not getting video and I believe I reset the head unit and it started working. That said, sometimes it still would not engage the camera, but that didn’t happen very often. Probably not helpful, but I was able to get it working after just shear cuss words.

I’m mostly just following along, but at this stage you are looking for the 6v output from the Tesla box and the return video feed? Or I guess possibly where to plug in the return video feed To the Tesla unit?

Yes and yes. There's a high likelihood that what I need to do is to just that, feed 6V to the OE cameras. Have some 6V regulators coming. Still a bit fuzzy digesting the schematics but I'll get there.

It fieels like most of the puzzle is solved?

Wires needed:
Cam signal in (vcc and gnd) (id'd on car side, need on HU side)
Cam power (6v), (+6v and gnd) (id'd on car side, need on HU side)
Reverse signal (rev) (mapped successfully to HU)

Can you just power the camera manually with some AAs to 6v, trigger the rev signal and use pin probes for vcc/gnd (signal) on all the connection pairs likely at the HU to test? There only looks to be 8 to 10 candidates to probe?

I'm at the last hurdle and you're probably right.

The way the system is setup at least in my '09, is that the rear cam is plumbed to the multi-function display. So it's a matter of powering and figuring out if the PnP harness provided plumbs the video correctly from the right pins.

The surround camera comes from the Park Assist Monitor ECU. That should be powered because the rest of the ultrasonics sensor system works. But again, no video.

Last edited:
:bounce::bounce::bounce:

1685940474801.png

Here's the magic wiring for pre-07/2009 production LX570s.

Have to feed +6V power to the backup cam as @grinchy suspected. Using an external step down power supply similar to what's linked below. Once there's power, I resorted to tapping the NTSC analog signal directly from the backup cam and sidestepped any digital feed complexity. Part of the challenge is that the backup camera feed doesn't go directly to the NAV, as it first ties into the Parking Assist Module located above the passenger side footwell. Hard place to work on and the wires are tiny, probably 22AWG. I linked some taps below that may help.

1686025679459.png

1686025589283.png

Amazon product ASIN B0945X9JHK
Amazon product ASIN B089297MD2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CDT6QC5

It’s almost worth running a four conductor up from the rear view camera in the hatch to the front!

It’s almost worth running a four conductor up from the rear view camera in the hatch to the front!

Seriously right? I had an aftermarket cam in hand and was prepared to go there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom