Temperatures- Solved (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jrmudder92

John R.
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
UPDATE- It’s been fixed for a week-ish, but I’ve been driving it to make sure it was okay. Don’t be me and cheap out. Put the new OEM radiator and thermostat in and it fixed everything. So learn from me. Spend extra and get good stuff.

I recently replaced the radiator, AC condenser, water pump, thermostat, idler, fan blades, and fan bracket. Anywho I've noticed my temperatures are higher than they were before. Never crept over 200 only the trans did on long highway drives. Water 198ish Trans Pan- 198ish. But now I'm around 198-208 water, 198-212 trans, I'm just confused any ideas?
Add- Also thought maybe fan clutch but when I try to grab it won't let me so that makes me think it's locking up as it should.
Note- I did not buy OEM radiator or thermostat BUT I have ordered them and will put them in this weekend. Could something like those two items make that much of a difference?

tempImagePd62K6.png

Last edited:
Could it be air in your cooling system?
I mean maybe but I'm fairly sure I got it all out. also doesn't explain the trans temp. does it?

I did everything you have done to mine this last winter and have not noticed any change in the coolant temp but my reference is just the dash gauge. I don’t have any OBD2 historical data. I would think that a new tstat could change your coolant temp if it had a slightly off set temp. Maybe that’s your no -OEM tstat?

if you had air in the system it would burp out and you would see the level in the overflow tank drop. I had to add a small amount a couple times after drive/cool down cycles.

I did everything you have done to mine this last winter and have not noticed any change in the coolant temp but my reference is just the dash gauge. I don’t have any OBD2 historical data. I would think that a new tstat could change your coolant temp if it had a slightly off set temp. Maybe that’s your no -OEM tstat?

if you had air in the system it would burp out and you would see the level in the overflow tank drop. I had to add a small amount a couple times after drive/cool down cycles.
Good info. Yea hopefully it will be here tomorrow. And try a new one.

How many miles were on the old parts?

Did you use Toyota coolant or a different (generic?) pink version?

Maybe something different in that formulation vs the factory stuff?

Oddly related I've had a similar experience recently after re-gearing my truck. I'm at 111k miles. Some folks in that thread were chalking it up to higher engine RPM due to the re-gear but I specifically noticed it when towing and my gear selection was actually putting the truck at a slightly lower RPM so this theory isn't correct. I'm still at a loss for my issue, though I swapped gear oil this week so we'll see if that helps this weekend. In my case engine oil, A/T pan, and A/T tc temps were all inline but 5-10deg higher than before (203-210F), however coolant temp was at (or near) "normal" (198-199F).

Not sure what your display is but I use OBD Fusion and I have two sensors for the A/T (pan and torque converter) as well as a sensor for Engine oil temp (which typically mirrors coolant within a degree or two, though recently was following the A/T pan temp).

In general ~5F isn't a big deal if the temps are staying constant. But I'm like you - I don't like unexplained change

So I’m putting everything back together. And now I come to my last problem. Transmission fluid. This is the “third” radiator I’ve put in. So in the first two I’ve lost that fluid. How do I know how much to put back in? I tried to drain and see. But that went horrible haha.

So I’m putting everything back together. And now I come to my last problem. Transmission fluid. This is the “third” radiator I’ve put in. So in the first two I’ve lost that fluid. How do I know how much to put back in? I tried to drain and see. But that went horrible haha.
I would assume 1 quart should do it but wouldn’t be bad to have an extra on hand. I just completed the tranny fluid exchange and used the OBD Fusion app To get the tranny temp reading when checking the overflow plug for the correct level. I feel your pain,even with the app I butchered the process and had to add more and recheck. I’d recommend using an app and reader like the OBD fusion to get the correct temp and level for the ATF fluid.

Last edited:
I would assume 1 quart should do it but wouldn’t be bad to have an extra on hand. I just completed the tranny fluid exchange and used the OBD Fusion app To get the tranny temp reading when checking the overflow plug for the correct level. I feel your pain,even with the app I butchered the process and had to add more and recheck. I’d recommend using an app and reader like the OBD fusion to get the correct temp and level for the ATF fluid.
So here’s a weird one. I checked it at the right temperature. With it pined. And it was just tricking out. I have yet to add anything

Thanks for the update and posting your results. Most folks would assume you are good to go after replacing those parts as the factory gauges were all reading properly.
oem is the way to go, glad i went this route when i refreshed my cooling system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom