Tech ain't so Techy no more... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Seems that lately the 80's tech section has a lot of posts about non-tech stuff. Don't mean to come down on anyones' posts in particular, or suggest that they don't contribute to the forum, but I would think some of those post would have been more appropriate for the chit-chat or outfitting sections. Just my .02

Tom

A couple of things like the disco thread was chatty, but very 80s oriented. I don't want IH8Mud to become 80s dominated in chat, so I have not bumped some things. Also, for some of us on the 80 list, the chat is a welcome change from the same old stuff, of which we seem to have a disproportunate number of posts. I think i is because a lot of folks that may be new to the whole four wheeling and web wheeling thing are buying 80s and 100s. They have a lot of questions and don't know to search the archives first. It would also help a lot if the search worked better, but that's coming.
If the chat is not 80s centric, I'll move it, but I'm trying to be invisable here. less moderation is more and all that.

It could be worse. In another forum i was forced to hang out on in the absence of this one, i noticed it's starting to look like a "for sale" section. Four of the threads on the first page were trying to sell something. That will get your post moved here quick.

After going back and looking, I gotta disagree. Even the moved posts were 80s-centric and the vast majority of threads are tech related. Moving them will making searching harder than it already is. Posts within threads is different. I can't move those and I don't feel good about deleting them. In fact, I don't see they are any worse than any other forum, here or anywhere else.

JMNSHO, YMMV

It's a tough quandry. Tired of the same old tech questions? Tired of non-content chat? What does that leave? When everything is said and done, there's nothing left to say or do. Might as well close the forum.

I don't mean to be critical of either the posters or the mods. I'm just a tad on the "organized" side :D and as such, like to see tech stuff in the tech section and chatty stuff in the chatty section. It's also a matter of being able to sort through the myriad stuff the ends up in 80's tech just becuase that's where most stuff lands. Having it in the "right" section just makes it easier for someone (read me) to be lazy.

I agree with Todd that some sites do get a bit out of control with the mods who take the MOD title a bit too seriously and start building empires (okay, a bit exagerated, but you know what I mean).

But I don't think a gentle reminder that tech is tech and chat is chat is out of order. With the exception of one individual on this board, I think most of us can handle it. 8) In any case, I can and will live with whatever you guys decide is best for the forum.

T

if someone is griping about chatty posts, within tech threads, in the tech forums, then I'm a major violator. :doh: If that presents a problem, please let me know and it will cease.

Junk -- I was just goofin on you since you seem to enjoy the barbs (and tend to shoot them right back!) :D

I did'nt post this to make a complaint...more of an observation. If the board wants it that way, who am I to say otherwise?

T

If I get too serious I start to get dizzy and the bed spins.

I have to hang a leg over the side to stop it ;)

I find it very difficult to dispense facts without a bit of humor inlayed in the presentation. I can't help it.

[quote author=Junk link=board=9;threadid=10183;start=msg91002#msg91002 date=1074306499]
if someone is griping about chatty posts, within tech threads, in the tech forums, then I'm a major violator. :doh: If that presents a problem, please let me know and it will cease.
[/quote]

That would make me, and a lot of others, sad.

IMO, it's one thing to interject personality into a tech thread. But when the initial post has absolutely zero tech relevance, then I think it should start in chitchat.

I enjoy the bantering as much as anyone, and participate as well. But at least mask the initial topic as techish....lol

Agreed Woody! Perhaps there should be a rule that requires every post in Tech to start with at least one of the following:

Birf
Axle
Starter
Oil
Head Gasket
OME

You get the idea... :D

:flipoff2:

Hey, is it just my pos pc or is the whole forum running slower? Seems as though its taking longer, not sure if that's due the # of folks on it or just a general trend.

Forum is definitely moving slowly. I happened to get on a short while ago from a different computer system and a different internet service provider from the one I am on now, and it's the same. Slugsville.

[quote author=Junk link=board=9;threadid=10183;start=msg91461#msg91461 date=1074389687]
:flipoff2:

Hey, is it just my pos pc or is the whole forum running slower? Seems as though its taking longer, not sure if that's due the # of folks on it or just a general trend.

[/quote]

must be fat max :ban:

Better feed the squirrels so they well run in the wheel faster and increase the power.

More Power arr arr arrrrrrrhh!

squirrels... that's lame

get hamster power... more torque. or move up to big block
Kangaroo and a big wheel

Just ran the database optimation dealio...might help the speed if aou sreineethg gsinlo sr.we

..t noresu c I tanl el nor..ot

..DOI no kthw tat iheornftima ton hhet osvegae mr foe thsqmylil wnk wasngro....paapenrry,tlhe thay nveclo wuet haeythre aoi d..ngev.. MenE ORasre tonreo calo ttea o didetecasod ceur!!

Yep. Back to Sloooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww Mooooooooooottttttttionnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom