Tearing down my HJ47 troopy (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The transfer case shifter opening will get moved back a bit.
86344703-A6F8-465C-B3D8-CAD817E6E7EB.jpeg

Oops, first attempt to mount the intermediate plate went poorly. Apparently I had it sliding on the transmission output shaft bearing slightly off square. The intermediate plate bearing retainer surface got a serious gouge. I tried to force it unaware it was off line and at a angle. The force caused a gouge that further prevented it from sliding on in later attempts. Next we’ll hone the gouged bearing retainer area and try again.
0E98CA2D-AD1E-4298-ABA5-5663E98489A7.jpeg
attempts. F

Last edited:
Disaster averted. Got the gouge smoothed out
38AD1251-1CCD-43BC-83ED-117C9380C8F1.jpeg
with fine sandpaper. The bearing was fine and try # 2 was a success.

We got the front output shaft installed on the bearing (not fun). Like everything, its so much easier if you have the right tool and maybe can do this particular install on a bench as opposed to doing it under the truck. But, as I installed the rear output gear set, it became obvious the E brake assembly would not clear the frame crossmember. Maybe if I removed the transmission crossmember and let the transmission/transfercase drop, I could get the E brake drum on the output shaft, but then you couldn’t service the brake components without lowering the whole thing each time. I haven’t heard of this issue before, it’s always been something about the spline count or something else that prevented the old E brake from working on a newer 5 speed. There may be other reasons that it wont work besides the interfearance issue. But at this point I’m not putting everything back together; lowering the transfercase only to find out there’s other reasons it wont work. So, on with the disc brake conversion.
F096FD15-4615-4E2F-9E6F-355323D94379.jpeg

Now for the next issue; we cant get the rear section of the transfercase housing on. It’s too close to the rear upper frame crossmember. As you can see, maybe, I had to remove the tranny again, with the first half of the transfercase. We’re going to assemble the rest of the transfercase and try again. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Decided to bring the tranny and transfer case intermediate plate back to the bench. After 3 hours of trying to get the gears in and case on from underneath the truck (bad idea, but done twice before), I conceded that doing it on the bench is the only option. That is the recommended way to do it , I know! Doing it from under the truck saves some time and effort. But in this instance, it wasn’t happening. The idler gear wasn’t lining up.
AED8760E-6D8D-4419-A9B3-4A691F47262E.jpeg
F9D6684F-1069-4BD5-9539-7BA4BF4DFA11.jpeg

Last edited:
Now for another approach. Having the unit on the bench didn’t make the transfer-case magically get put back together. I’ve not had this issue the last 2 times I rebuilt my transfer cases. I’m guessing the the weight of the idler gears is pulling the Idler shaft down making lining everything up impossible. I read somewhere here that having the transmission nose down on a Bench alleviates this problem. We’ll see???
136B27E7-84EE-4073-83A6-DDB20B8203F4.jpeg

I got the tranny/transfer case installed again. The disc parking brake option doesn’t look like a go. To make it work, the upper crossmember has to be modified. So, I’m going to source the 60 series rear brake conversion parts $$$$! But for now a line lock will be the temporary solution.
A4BBC7C4-94D4-4E8C-BA1B-1C8514E78FA8.jpeg
T

F3B330A1-A8F5-48FC-9E6A-25A15CD66869.jpeg
Getting the line lock in has been fun. We decided to place it in the existing parking brake lever area. Getting the system bled revealed a leak at the line lock. My brake line flaring job didn't prove to be very competent. I did get the other connections to seal, so I’m at a 25% failure rate. Not impressive to say the least. Will re-flare the problem connection tomorrow.

I installed the flywheel and clutch

The flywheel and clutch went on with no issues once I found all the bolts. I've been trying to be meticulous about bagging and labeling the small parts, but apparently a few things went unlabeled. I also got the release bearing and control arm installed with it's rubber boot. Tomorrow I hope to install the tranny with clutch housing to the engine. I'm hoping installing it this way will be easier than trying to man-handle the tranny with transfer case attached as a unit. I know removing it that way was too much for my tranny jack.
View attachment 580168View attachment 580169View attachment 580170
Hi @gswest, I've been taking a look at some of your older work. Really nice. I noticed that you sprayed the engine body blue and the gearbox + transmission black. Do you know if that is what it was coming from the factory? and I have another couple of questions relating to the sliding windows: are the toyota logo's in the glass all 'readable' from the outside or from the inside? are the chrome vertical dividers on the inside or the outside of the car? Hope you find the time to react. Cheers from Cape Town (and happy new year ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom