TBI Recommendation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
78 FJ 40 with CA CARB smog fittings (but de-smogged)
want to do TBI

QUESTIONS:
1. Which TBI, and why?
2. What mods have to be done to the intake manifold?
3. I plan to do headers, if so; what type?
4. Any other items that might effect The TBI install.

Cheers!
Jerry and MEBUMPI

There are a lot of folks putting the Holley Sniper EFI on right now. No info I can give you personally, but you can scroll through the threads or use the search. You’ll find something to help you.

Holly Sniper is a game changer in my opinion. All the previous types (Howell, AFI, etc.) use cheby TBI parts and it takes more work to get everything including the ECM/fuel map to work well together. The Sniper is much more integrated.

Holly Sniper is a game changer in my opinion. All the previous types (Howell, AFI, etc.) use cheby TBI parts and it takes more work to get everything including the ECM/fuel map to work well together. The Sniper is much more integrated.
Thank You.

78 FJ 40 with CA CARB smog fittings (but de-smogged)
want to do TBI

QUESTIONS:
1. Which TBI, and why?
2. What mods have to be done to the intake manifold?
3. I plan to do headers, if so; what type?
4. Any other items that might effect The TBI install.

Cheers!
Jerry and MEBUMPI
I chose the Howell Engineering (Basic GM TBI) because most parts repair parts are available at parts stores opposed to a proprietary set up like the Holley Sniper. I'm sure the Sniper is easier to install because it's quite integrated. Sniper allows you to custom tune, while Howell is pre-programmed based on engine perimeters. The Howell involves installing a large wiring harness (removing heater & duct) and installing various sensors. Either kit requires installing an external fuel pump and a return fuel line. It's not a bad job, but requires basic shop skills. I had threads strip out in the intake and had to install Helicoils, among other typical aggravations when working on a 50-year old truck. Look at everything on the market and decide what you want to do. Most importantly, make sure your fuel tank is clean and rust free. If not, have it tanked at the radiator shop. Carbs can pass a ton more s*** than fuel injectors. If your engine is in decent running shape with good compression and avg. camshaft wear, you won't believe how much better it will run w/ EFI. Good luck

Jerry, take a look at ebay #254371192083. As one of the old timer's around this farm, I've been sitting back watching the Sniper posts/comments build up here on Mud. When Downey was in business (pre-Sniper) we sold GM TBI kits like wild flowers. What we liked was their "self learning" aspect, and that it was easy for installers to use 1,000 percent of everything that GM would have supplied in their TBI systems (5 different sensors, which many did not use, and had issues). After reading many months of Sniper post I am now of the opinion that the Snipers are not exactly self learning, some set-up/programming is necessary. It seems the truly tech savvy have no problem with the set-up, but the less tech savvy are struggling with Sniper set-up, sometimes for weeks or months ???

I chose the Howell Engineering (Basic GM TBI) because most parts repair parts are available at parts stores opposed to a proprietary set up like the Holley Sniper. I'm sure the Sniper is easier to install because it's quite integrated. Sniper allows you to custom tune, while Howell is pre-programmed based on engine perimeters. The Howell involves installing a large wiring harness (removing heater & duct) and installing various sensors. Either kit requires installing an external fuel pump and a return fuel line. It's not a bad job, but requires basic shop skills. I had threads strip out in the intake and had to install Helicoils, among other typical aggravations when working on a 50-year old truck. Look at everything on the market and decide what you want to do. Most importantly, make sure your fuel tank is clean and rust free. If not, have it tanked at the radiator shop. Carbs can pass a ton more s*** than fuel injectors. If your engine is in decent running shape with good compression and avg. camshaft wear, you won't believe how much better it will run w/ EFI. Good luck
Thanks You Steve.

Jerry, take a look at ebay #254371192083. As one of the old timer's around this farm, I've been sitting back watching the Sniper posts/comments build up here on Mud. When Downey was in business (pre-Sniper) we sold GM TBI kits like wild flowers. What we liked was their "self learning" aspect, and that it was easy for installers to use 1,000 percent of everything that GM would have supplied in their TBI systems (5 different sensors, which many did not use, and had issues). After reading many months of Sniper post I am now of the opinion that the Snipers are not exactly self learning, some set-up/programming is necessary. It seems the truly tech savvy have no problem with the set-up, but the less tech savvy are struggling with Sniper set-up, sometimes for weeks or months ???
Hello Jim,

Thank You for taking the time to reply.

cheers!
J B

Did the Downey kits use a custom tune for use with the 2F, or is the factory tune used from the 4.3 V6 application? I am having an issue with a same generation ECM on my SBC and am having issues finding someone that can look at the tune. Everyone says it's not worth the effort or they just don't have to tools to do so. If the GM TBI conversion didn't require a custom tune of the ecm for it to work, you could just have a couple spare factory ecms from the 4.3 donor on the shelf as back-ups. If it's a custom tune, I can see it being an issue in the future if you need to replace the ecm, and no-one can or is willing to tune it.

Since the GM 4.3 V6 and Lanccruiser 6 cylinder were practically the same cubic inch we just always recommended guys use a stock S-10/AstroVan V6 chip. When guys got into trouble trying to custom tune, we just brought them back to stock 4.3 programming. Also, I do not agree that you are stuck with set programming parameters when using TBI injection, the GM ECU's do store data, and do self learn, no action on your part necessary. I particularly like the TBI "limp home" feature that lets you limp home (as if carbureted) should the ECU fail.

Since the GM 4.3 V6 and Lanccruiser 6 cylinder were practically the same cubic inch we just always recommended guys use a stock S-10/AstroVan V6 chip. When guys got into trouble trying to custom tune, we just brought them back to stock 4.3 programming. Also, I do not agree that you are stuck with set programming parameters when using TBI injection, the GM ECU's do store data, and do self learn, no action on your part necessary. I particularly like the TBI "limp home" feature that lets you limp home (as if carbureted) should the ECU fail.
Thanks for the response Jim.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom