TAT, any thoughts on this trail? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For some reaaon i have been thinking doing a long trail like the Trans America Trail. Not really sure i want to but the idea keeps comming up. Any opinions of it?

I would probably do it in segment which makes some logistics harder and some easier. I dont know really how i would do it but i have considered doing the eastern and westerm part in my 80. Maybe do CO and UT on my plated YZ250FX.

I often have 14 to 20 days off work at a time. Not really enough to do the whole thing and get home but enough to do a third and get home. Home is in Montana so i am kind of central to the trail in a way. Also i have work in the southeast this fall. I might be able to leave MT in the 80. Pick up the trail east of the rockies and follow it to the east to work. It would be a interesting commute for sure. I dont know, kind of just day dreaming of trips. Has anyone done this trail?

A similar concept are the Backcountry Discovery Routes. I wonder if they share any trails. The BDR was created for motorcycles but from what I can tell 99% of it is doable on four wheels. Interested to see if anyone has done the TAT though. Looks cool.

Its pretty popular with the ADV guys but I figured someone here might have done it. Basically goes coast to coast with the idea being all on dirt. But there is still a good bit of pavement. Way more than i want to ride on my YZ250FX. I think it is pretty mellow other than through UT and CO. I have not done much reading but I think it runs through Silverton/Ouray and a bunch of the passes. Then through Moab and Black Dragon near Green river.

Do you find the 250 is enough power when loaded ?
That depends. If there is long stretches of highway requiring 75mph then no. But that is mostly due to gearing and the motor screaming. I hate riding like that and if there is much of that I wouldn't bring the bike. Kind of a deal breaker for me. I like riding on dirt not pavement. So if this route has long pavement stretches that will push me towards using the Cruiser.

But if you are talking about the 250cc having enough power on the steep trails and high elevation spots like Engineers Pass while loaded down that is different. !00% more than enough power. First of all I only weigh 130lb. So even loaded down it has less weight on it than most riders. Also this 250 is making about 40hp. Thats almost 10 hp more than my last 400cc. Yes you have to rev it but it makes power.
HiEHYkq.jpg

I would try to keep it lightly loaded in these small saddle bags. I would need to add a top tail bag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom