AltFuel Tapping into Coolant for SVO heat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sandcruiser

....back in the saddle again....
Threads
I'm getting ready to install a coolant-heated fuel filter for my veggiooil conversion and thought I'd check in with Mud to see if anyone has any hot ideas for tapping into the coolant hoses.

The easiest way would be to grab from the heater- but then I'd have to *run* the heater to get hot water, right? that idea doesn't work. it's hot here.

I then thought of disconnecting the heater core and using the hot water for that- but then I wouldn't have a heater, which isn't great either.

So now I'm scratching my head.

I want a hose that will give me hot hot water all the time to the fuel heater. Even when the Tstat is closed.

All thoughts welcome!
:cheers:

steve... tap into the heater hose before the heater valve... and return coolant after the heater valve. Done.

then sell that thing and go find an HJD81.

~Soop

yes if you tee into the line after it leaves the engine then you have heat all the time for your SVO and return it near the engine as well.

Heater will have a bit less flow tho. But not always do you run the heater all the way hot. Only for warm up, then we cool it off by limiting the flow.

Sand make sure you do a tech write up please. Including your parts used and maybe where you bought them, Thanks.

will do the heater hose tap
will do writeup (this will require bribing wife to take photos as I've already discovered once that expensive cameras and oil/coolant/grease/dirt are a bad mixture)
will keep trying to find (read: afford) an hjd81

Thanks to all

I'm doing the same thing on my 12HT at the moment.

I've replaced the two heater hoses that lead from the front of the motor up to the metal pipes that carry the coolant to the rear of the motor and heater taps.

One of the connections will be a straight TEE piece, the other will be a Y piece.
I've mounted a brazed plate heat exchanger onto the outside of the air cleaner box with much strengthening, and alongside the heat exchanger I have a CAV/Delphi/Lucas filter.

The oil will come through the filter, into the heat exchanger then into the lift pump. At some time I will need to add a tap into the coolant so I can turn off the heat exchanger when running straight diesel as it may not cope too well being heated. Completed project detailed here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~tim.law/landcruiser/heater/

I'm wondering how to override the heated plate the 12HT uses on cold startup, to make starting on blends of vege oil a bit easier. Know anything about this?

Thanks
Tim

Last edited:
You could put the write-up on a power point presentation then commission a natural working group and talk yourself out of the project.

I've been told that its better to filter warm than cold- the lower viscosity keep the filters from plugging as quickly. You might consider changing the order of your hoses. But it all depends on ambient temps- around here it wouldn't make much of a difference the oil is plenty viscous at 30* C for filtering.

"I'm wondering how to override the heated plate the 12HT uses on cold startup, to make starting on blends of vege oil a bit easier. Know anything about this?"

Just disconnect the plug at the temperature sensor and the glowscreen will always work if the key is left in the 'on' position before starting.

What "blend" are you using?

M John Galt,
Thanks, I found a thread detailing how to do this by putting a NC momentary switch in the Yellow lead at the timer module - situated behind the passenger kick panel near the air cond fan.

My blend starts at 25% oil, 75% diesel. I'll increase that to 75% oil and 25% over time and see how things go. The heat exchanger is working fine so I may be able to run 100% in warm weather as I don't have a two tank setup yet.

Tim

Sandcruiser,

I'm sure you're right, and in time I may do this. However I have also read about the CAV filters not being suited to heated oil as it affects the glues - hence the setup. Given I read this on the internet, it simply must be true! :)
Common sense tells me to put the heater before the filter as you suggest. Do you have any views on the affect of heat on the CAV filters? I've not been able to find an email link to the manufacturers for me to contact them direct.

I've put a photo gallery up at http://members.iinet.net.au/~tim.law/landcruiser/heater/ showing the completed project.

Tim

interesting about the CAV filters. I took the Davco 234 route- heated filter housing so that it is all one unit. Of course, that makes for a tall unit and I'm having a little trouble finding a good spot to mount it. :( I think I can figure out a custom bracket to hold it, but that has the project on hold for a little while.

Will post pics once I have 'em!

FWIW: down here where its hot, I've been running 20% Voil/80% diesel with no problems after warmup, but I don't like doing it without the heater... those injector pumps are expensive!

hi,
i'm slowly leaning towards doing the conversion and was debating what to use as a gas tank for the oil. install it inside or outside of vehicle(bj60)? tapping a coolant line into the tank could be tricky! maybe some 12v heaters could do the trick?
ivanhoe

I'm planning to have a SS tank fabbed up to hold my diesel, then use the main tank to hold veggie oil.... looks like I can get a custom tank built to my specs for about $200. Should hold around 10 gallons.
Alternately, I might keep the main tank full of diesel for startup and short runs... still trying to figure it out.

If you feel like doing some purchasing, the Helton company in OZ that makes the hot water heaters/showers also makes a fuel kit. Supposedly it is just killer for making sure you get the engine's temp into the oil. Cruiseroutfitters.com carries them. Not a whole lot of real world experience on my end but lots of thought about this. I have a heated Racor and it is not hot enough for SVO at all...

sandcruiser said:
will do the heater hose tap
will do writeup (this will require bribing wife to take photos as I've already discovered once that expensive cameras and oil/coolant/grease/dirt are a bad mixture)
will keep trying to find (read: afford) an hjd81

Thanks to all
Put some Gladwrap around the camera. Gladwrap is a cling type lunch wrap here. Works well I use it on my nikon all the time.:cheers:

Not to be confused with or used as, a condom. ....glad...wrap... :)

Tim

gladwrap.... GREAT idea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom